What's new

Front pad rattle

csak1981

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 8th Ge
2.2 idtec EX anybody had problems with pagid pads rattling on the fronts. I had pagid pads with genuine oem discs with no noise but right caliper was binding so i replaced pistons and seals on both sides and calipers move freely now. I thought I'd replace discs incase the binding one got warped. So new pagid discs and pads.

The pads seem loose when placing them in the caliper guide channels as these brakes don't use the anti rattle clips that clip into the channels but the pads i took out were just as loose and they didn't rattle. Can somebody confirm the fit of genuine OEM pads, do they fit into the channels without them rattling about?.

I thought I had this fixed when i realised the new piston square seals were retracting to much when off the brakes so I got my father to lightly apply pedal pressure to bring piston out a tad so pads were tighter against disc when putting caliper back on over the disc. Now with car jacked up and I grab the caliper with my hands after pressing and releasing the pedal the caliper remains solid whereas before I could see a gap between inner pad and disc and could hear the rattling noise I hear when going over ruts in the road when off the brakes. So it must be the pads rattling up and down in the channels.

I'm at my wits end having had to jack car about 5 times now since replacing everything trying to see wots going on. And know looks like I'm going to have to spend another 90 on genuine pads after already spending over 100 on everything so far. Dying to move on to the next job

Last edited:
I have different front brakes on my ATS but my previous 7th Gen had the same hammer head type pads, The anti rattle is the way the clips fit into the piston and the big wire spring on the outside of the caliper.
I would rather have the slight rattle than a binding pad.

I'm just annoyed as I was really thorough when doing the job as I'd never dealt with rebuilding calipers before and everything went as planned. I'm glad the binding problem is now gone but can't stand the rattle.
It's sound like somethings broke and will make it hard to hear any further wear from other suspension parts.
If this is the size of genuine pads I really can't see how when the car left the factory that it wouldn't be rattling with this setup, why couldn't they just use the ant rattle clips like the rears. My insignia had the anti rattle clips and the big spring wire on the outside.
Only thing I can think that's caused this is when I had the carriers off to change the discs I'm thinking that the corrosion that i wire brushed off the channels where the hammer head legs slide has created more room for pads to move around.

That is entirely possible,I had the same even with the stainless pad clips on mine, I wouldn't worry about it as long as the pads are held securely in place, after some time, corrosion and dirt will build up again and stop the rattle.
Pads should float freely but be held by the spring clips on the rear of the pad into the piston. Are yours like that?

Yep the inner pads have the 3 fingered spring clips that grab inside of piston. But the channels where the ears slide don't use spring clips on my car I've checked with honda parts diagrams, so the outside pads are rattling

The big wire spring on the outer pad is present and correct? Does it apply any pressure at all to the pad?

They are there for sure. That's the first thing I tried when i first noticed the caliper had movement. I bent them slightly to provide more pressure as they seemed too easy when putting back on as if the had maybe bent open slightly on removal.
They pull nice and tight now when putting them back on so not convinced replacing will fix this besides 17 pounds reach from dealer can't seem to find from anywhere else.