What's new

front rear brake discs shot

manparis

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
I wanna replace my brakes as there pretty knackered I gonna follow the diy write up on here. What are best for a 2.2 cdti?

Best brakes to buy? Personally, I use OEM as they don't seem to squeal as much as after market.

I've never had any problems with Pagid pads and discs (e.g. from EuroCarParts... promo code 'spring30' currently gives 30% discount), they're probably about the same standard as OEM (?) but don't come with grease and shims, which can be handy.

Not sure what's actually 'best' though, as this would depend upon many factors, including how you intend you use the vehicle.

I'm in the same search and I think to buy front EBC ultimax discs , front ultimax pads, rear standard discs EBC and rear ultimax pads.

Not sure about the quality , but will give it a try.

Cheers

Some high performance pads are rubbish when cold. Drilled discs often cause a lot of brake dust to be dumped on your wheels. Either will probably give a fairly short life for no real benefit for normal road use.

That's why I was asking what the car will be used for... best to use oem (or near-oem) unless you intend to drive it on a track or drive across a mountain range. In which case, you may also wish to consider braided brake hoses. And uprated calipers.

not very sure that you are correct.
Have you tried slotted , not drilled discs? Ultimax pads are not the top performance. They are for normal city drive or a little bit more.

" Ultimax A high friction pad designed for general replacement use on cars, vans and (4x4s).Using shimmed, chamfered and slotted technology & EBC’s unique BRAKE-IN coating for super quick pad bed-in.Don’t let the lower price point cloud your view of this superb quality product, these pads will stop your vehicle as fast as any original equipment pad and faster than most aftermarket pads. "

EBC Ultimax Discs, Ultra quiet sport slotted brake discs- Manufactured using premium disc blanks mentioned above, the narrower multi slot design of the Ultimax sport rotor and the progressive angle at which the slots are machined creates a quiet running sport disc that still has benefits of removing gas, dirt, water and debris and MAINTAINING parallel pad wear. EBC have always been honest enough to say that the biggest advantage of slotted rotors is the fact that they promote flat and parallel pad wear rather than allowing ridges to develop on pads and rotors which is typical of "drilled only" sport rotors. By preventing these ridges brakes stay more consistent throughout pad and rotor wear life (simple physics!).

That isn't physics - that's advertising blurb! :p

I was merely pointing out that there are potential downsides to fitting 'uprated' braking components. Is it worth it for a diesel barge driven on regular (UK, at least) roads? I've always thought my diesel tourer has pretty good brakes (except for when the rears bind).

Well F6HAD helped me to improve my power and now I have to upgrade the brakes :D like it should be :D

The OP is with 2.4 S and will need something good I think.

I'm not saying that those discs and pads are good, but haven't tried them yet and will give a try.

P.S my rears are awful ( both pads and discs ).

i currently run eicher front pads and disks on my 2004 accord (only for the last 6 months) and they squeal like hell!!! Dont know if its just my car or if the quality is really that poor! beware. it is highly embarrassing coming to a stop in town!