What's new

Front Suspension bush - Inside

Channel Hopper

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 7 Estate 2005
Advisory on the MOT, though they said it should be dealt with pretty quickly.

So, what is involved and the level of difficulty. I'm not keen on getting under the car anyway (moreso if I have to prop it up, even with axle stands). Or will I need to support by another means ?

Thanks in advance

from experience, the horizontal bushing and bolt tend to seize together and make the whole operation a lot less seamless than it ought to be, but you can squeeze a vise grip in there. just.

Not worth the effort.Given the low cost and the need to remove the arm anyway just replace the whole thing.They come with bushings pre loaded meaning all three are new.

Thanks for the answers, kit bought off eBay that includes the linkages and the ball joints.

I will start with the penetrating fluid tomorrow for dismantling during the week, have axle stands on standby.

Will I need pins/bolts or do the old ones survive to be useable after 170k miles ?

You will need pins for ball joints and track rod ends although these are supplied with nylock nuts now.The lower arm bolts should be fine.
Removed mine to do this job short while back and all bolts were in remarkable shape considering age.You could replace these if they look bad but no need in my case.

Bits arrived today, but are marked up as Mazda.

I will look underneath tomorrow for compatibility, but like other marques I've bought pieces for that have an identical part from elsewhere (Citroen and Maserati for example, even Ducati has a friend with many others - https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/alternatives-to-the-genuine-ducati-parts.594/ ),
is there a chance Honda shares suspension components or perhaps the subframe bolt-ons with others ?

I would not be impressed if I unbolted key components to find I could not drive anywhere over Christmas.

Attachments

• Parts 1.jpg
    Parts 1.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Parts 2.jpg
    Parts 2.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
They don't look like Mazda arms. Accord are cast and Mazda use pressed and welded.

Thanks. I took the wheel off earlier and offered new against old without taking out of the sealed packet they look like the contours are the same.

If weather is favourable I should have the work done by Sunday, pictures to follow.

Plenty of penetrating oil on the captive nut on the big bushing.
That vertical bolt often seizes and is somewhat aggravating to remove.
I did mine not too long ago and fortunately they werent seized, my previous 7th Gen had the near side seized when I did them years ago and that required a lot of heat and force.

Plenty of penetrating oil on the captive nut on the big bushing.
That vertical bolt often seizes and is somewhat aggravating to remove.
I did mine not too long ago and fortunately they werent seized, my previous 7th Gen had the near side seized when I did them years ago and that required a lot of heat and force.
Thanks
I've already ensured all the bolts move, including the big (19mm) at the front.

Wrt the vertical bolt under the hub (with split pin), am I right in thinking the thread and nut underneath supports half the unsprung weight of the complete front end of the car ?

An update (forgot to mention the car did pass the MOT after the work in December)

The result of the split pin disappearing from the lower ball joint yesterday.

I'm not confident enough to rebuild a half shaft and CV joint on the gearbox end (besides it looks like filthy work), so the
car has been recovered to the garage who will work on it next week. Luckily this was only half a mile from home and I was virtually at a standstill when it let go (the nut was under the spare wheel well).

I was going to do some motorway driving today so it could have been a lot worse.

Attachments

• Susp1a.jpg
    Susp1a.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 20
  • Susp2a.jpg
    Susp2a.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 20
How on earth did that happen, someone been fiddling with nuts?

Pretty scary that. Made me take a look at my split pins today and they are fine but rusting. I might swap them over with stainless steel ones. You'd think they'd be stainless in the first place.

Well the garage called yesterday to say it had been patched up. Picking up later.

Total cost £185, somewhat more had I been going faster.

£185 is an amazing price especially as they recovered the vehicle too.

£185 is an amazing price especially as they recovered the vehicle too.
Ah, no. I had to join the RAC for a yearly fee by the roadside to get her to the garage, the repair cost was the parts and labour.
(Shout out to K&T Autos of Hersham)

But still it was better than seeing her go to the scrapyard after the work I put in six months ago.

Wow, any idea how a split pin can come out if it's inserted and bent unless it had rotted away maybe, then the bolt works loose? Still glad no major accident. I will take a look at mine as I did some work last year.
Glad you are back on the road now, that is quite eye opening!

That happened to me, well actually the MOT centre parking it up however the thread and pin off the LBJ were fairly rotten.

I don't know how that could physcally happen but I've started using medium set thread lock on those buggers anyway as they are so critical.

Oh btw, looks like they just packed those suspension parts in an old Mazda box for transport so I doubt there is any relation.