What's new

Front wheel bearing

dynacord

Members
Reaction score
Car
type s, 205mi16
Well, at last identified that a front wheel bearing is gone, I will be replacing it soon. I've read through the instructions, but I'm wondering if I need to get the ABS sensor out to replace the bearing, as I believe the sensor has seized up :(

Any thoughts are welcome.

Alex

Hi Alex is your car a 7th gen?
If so you cannot just replace the bearing it's a hole new hub required.
The rear you can but not front
Sorry my bad double check it might be the other way around

Hey Brett,

Yes, it's a 7th gen Tourer, and the rear bearing cannot be changed, it's the whole hub (like Subaru). The front one can be pressed out and new one pressed in, but not sure if the ABS sensor has to be removed.

Cheers bud I new it was front or back just couldn't remember.

Had experience with front wheel bearings. The bearings were so seized they couldnt be pressed out so had to buy new carriers in the end. Mind you this was on a Seat Arosa - lol (previous runabout car). Hopefully the Honda should be alot easier. Hope it goes well.

Well, just replaced the bearing and there's no more vrooooooooooooom-ing. Broke the ABS sensor, of course, and had to drill it out. Bought some from ebay and works fine; genuine one is more than 50 pounds (crazy).

Hi Dynaccord,can you tell me, how you spotted from where the noise come from? I have changed two days ago the outer drive shaft and the bering of the inner shaft which connects to the gearbox but the noise got worse it persist at around 80km/h. I think it's the wheel bearing from driver side front because after changing the driveshaf the noise it's a bit different specially at 80km/h,i have 4 brand new tires 3d alignment. Thanks for any advice.

Hi,

Well, I heard some unusual sound, but didn't pay attention, thought it was the tires wearing out or just some noisy roads. But the sound got worse in time, it sounded like I was travelling in the underground.
If you suspect some of the bearings, you need to lift the car and turn each wheel by hand several times. You will hear it, and if it's in really bad shape, there will be some knocking and wobbling too.