What's new

front wheel collaspsed !

immy786

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hi my civic is in the bodyshop currently having road rash stone chips repaired so i'm sharing the Accord with the wife. I'm currently at work the wife was due to pick me up approx 5pm. She just phoned me to tell me the front passenger side wheel has collapsed!!

No noise beforehand and the car sailed through it's current mot with no advisories at all a few months ago. She's currently waiting on the aa to recover the car back home whilst i wait for a lift home !!!

So folks whats happened here and how do i fix the old girl? :wacko:

Right looks like the ball joint has some how snapped. Shes not been lowered tracking is spot on no noises before hand although she has done 169k and never had the ball joints changed!

immy786 said:
Shes not been lowered tracking is spot on no noises before hand although she has done 169k and never had the ball joints changed!
but what about the car :lol:

(sorry couldn't resist)

It's happened to several cars before so not as uncommon.

Not a scooby doo yet well the drive shaft has popped out, upper control arms both sides were replaced by me a few months ago so they are fine. The ball joint has split! Lower control arm bushes look shot. Well it'll have to sit in the driveway until the weekend!

Id like to see a picture of it.

Never seen a balljoint snap, but have seen them come apart due to rust inside!

Update,

Shes back on the road, so what went wrong.

1, Lower control arm main big bush had massive play
2, Lower ball joint snapped, not the round ball side but the strut side with the threads on.
3, Drive shaft decided to leave the gearbox
4, c.v boot ripped

> So new bushes installed on lower control arms ive done both sides as there was play on the driver side too.
> New ball joints done both sides for piece of mind
> New c.v boot on passenger side
> Luckily there was no damage to the drive shaft so that slipped back in nicely.

Fired her up and slowly took her for a drive, no lights on the dash :) no knocks or odd noises however she feels so much smoother when going over bumps etc.