What's new

Fuel Brand change causing engine light to come on?

kashim

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 ICTDI
Hey guys, hope everyone is well.

Yesterday I went to fill up my car with Shell fuelsave. Full tank and then was stuck on A406 :angry: crawling along and then suddenly engine management light came on. Prior to this I was using Asda diesel. Was nearby and thought just fill it up.

This has happened like 2 months ago but the other way round. Was filling regularly with Shell fuelsave and switched to Asda diesel and the light came on the following day, again I was on the A406 crawling. Was on my way to a friends wedding. The day after the incident though the light disappeared and only came back on yesterday.

Car drives fine, drove to Kent and back yesterday no problems. Searched forum to see anything similar but nothing.

any thoughts?
Cheers

would be good to know what dtc's ate stored.

Kashim, I can scan the car for you mate if you want.

Kashim, I can scan the car for you mate if you want.

That would be brilliant mate! Car is going in for a service next week and don't want the stealers to charge me ridiculous amounts. I was gonna ask on the forum. I was also thinking of maybe purchasing a code reader.

no worries at all, you can drop by over the weekend or during the week day evenings, let me knw.

Was it really low on fuel before you filled up?

This has happened to me where air can be introduced, a few pumps of the primer bulb normally sorts things. It wont be shell fuel save as I use that alot and never had an issue.

Not a problem mate. See how long this time it lasts.

Will PM you to sort something out. Do I get mates rates? :p

Naah, I wont charge you Kashim mate. I always try to help out members wherever I can. Just let me know when you want to come over

Was it really low on fuel before you filled up?

This has happened to me where air can be introduced, a few pumps of the primer bulb normally sorts things. It wont be shell fuel save as I use that alot and never had an issue.

Yes as soon as it hit reserves. But I've done that loadsa times before. But then I stuck to the same brand.

Say whhaaat?? Didn't understand a word you said lol. Dont have a clue what a primer bulb is. All I'll say is.... where and how? :D
Unfortunately I'm hopeless :blush:

Yes as soon as it hit reserves. But I've done that loadsa times before. But then I stuck to the same brand.

Say whhaaat?? Didn't understand a word you said lol. Dont have a clue what a primer bulb is. All I'll say is.... where and how? :D
Unfortunately I'm hopeless :blush:

It is a little pump under the bonnet that pumps fuel in to the system (you need if you run dry or fit a new filter etc). Thats the simplest way i can explain it. :lol:

As the guys said prime the system to might even have a slightly cracked pipe sucking air in somewhere if this issue keeps happening.Also when was your FF changed last and was it a genuine Honda one.

is there any specific area that I should look out for where it would be placed. By pumping you mean.....?

Dude I'm coming down bournemouth.

Right at the back of engine bay and centre.Its behind the air filter and looks like a black rubber ball about the size of a golf ball.
If there is air you will need to undo the bleed screw at the top of the FF and pump until no bubbles are coming out just fuel.
There is a diy on this as well i think.

Yes found some great write ups, but like I said I am hopeless. Will enlist help of my mates of whom only one owns a car lol! Others there for moral support :rolleyes:

How badly does this affect the car if I keep driving it?

Just gotta say you guys are just awesome! LEGENDS.... HONDA LEGEND.

As the guys said prime the system to might even have a slightly cracked pipe sucking air in somewhere if this issue keeps happening.Also when was your FF changed last and was it a genuine Honda one.

As far as I am aware it was done at the last service at 75k. Cars now 87.5k. Was done at Honda dealer.

OK we have progress. I have located the priming bulb :D thats all for now.

I can squeeze it in with a bit of pressure.

ooh er missus....

You are due a fuel filter as well bud....

ooh er missus....

You are due a fuel filter as well bud....
Dan Honda recommend FF change every 2 years or 25k in the book but i do mine and probably yourself every 12.5k ;)

^^^^ Yep :lol:

I have now located the required tools now lol but gonna have a go another day. Watching footy and its dark B)

As far as I am aware it was done at the last service at 75k. Cars now 87.5k. Was done at Honda dealer.

Kashim,

As Dan an Brett have suggested replacing the fuel filter wouldn't be a bad idea, in all honesty the Accord doesn't like supermarket stuff that much, or should I say that is a general consensus within the forum. Equally however as pointed out Honda give a little more life to the filter before recommended changes.

Your car is a facelift model and therefore has a denso fuel filter, on this filter at the bottom is a what will feel like a little plastic butterfly nut with a bleed nipple. Over the life of the filter water caught in the fuel system is captured within the filter and can be drained via this bleed nipple.

I am aware that you are taking the car for a service soon and it is only a basic one as much of the major stuff was done on the last service, if you are unsure what to do, then just mention to them to bleed the fuel filter, if I recall it should be done at this service interval anyhow.

Cheers Carl for the advice. heh heh nipple. sorry couldn't resist!

The engine lights gone now. But how long till it comes back on again. I will have a go at the priming bulb on the weekend.

I will ask honda on wednesday if they will bleed it. Will see how much extra they will charge me lol.