What's new

Fuel consumption

Theres no point trying to get fuel economy now, its winter, with temps near 0 the engine runs rich for longer until properly warm, so unless your doing like a 20-30min drive or more, the engine will use more fuel.

Agreed - and that's exactly what my stint was: a single trip and 90% of it fully warmed up. A cold start, drive 200m to filling station. Then 1.5 hrs on the A12, 15 mins in town, 15 min stopped while collecting stuff, 1.5hrs on A12, 15 mins in town. Then park overnight. Start cold next day, drive 200 yards to filling station, refill to brim. Calculate mpg... =30mpg.

FWIW, I'm super-geeky/OCD on fuel consumption and only ever fill brim to brim and always check mileages. I have every receipt, and have it all in spreadsheets. :p

Its not my cup of tea, however I can appreciate it tho, as it counts as a car enthusiast interest. ;)

Despite how it may seem from this thread, I don't normally obsess about fuel economy. I have owned and enjoyed quite a few large petrol V8s in my motoring history and never cared about fuel consumption before. The main issue was that I was surprised/ disappointed with the economy of my Accord considering the size of the engine and the car.

Now that I know what to expect, I don't bother about it anymore.

Yeah, fuel economy is an interesting thing. I don't know about MPG, but on my 2.3i TYPE V 2002 reg I can't remember last time I did 300 miles on a tank.

But I admit I mainly drive around London plus I like the kick you get from a VTEC. I also hate people doing 65mph in the fast lane on the motorway, so I often keep the engine in high revs to use all possible gaps to get in front of them.

In the city it averages 240miles to a 55litre filling up.

Morris

In my 1.8, year 2000 Accord I managed to get about 420/430km on a LPG tank. I replaced the lambda sensor a few weeks ago, and with the same LPG tank I managed to make about 510km, with the same driving and same road conditions :wub:

The car was driving great before I replaced the sensor, I just suspected it could be starting to get bad due to the poor fuel economy. So I managed to get an oscilloscope and tested myself the lambda sensor, it turned out it was getting sluggish, taking too long to change from lean to rich... so I decided to replace it. Bought a NGK NTK sensor from ebay for about 70€.

Just out of interest what make of petrol do you use? From my own experience of driving Hondas I have found that they seem to be sensitive to the make of petrol. I always work out my fuel consumption and the supermarket fuel that I have used (tesco & sainsburys) always give me lower results than say Shell, BP or Esso. With my latest car (2003 2.0 petrol manual) I got 33mpg from Shell and that was a mix of town and long journeys and also driving in the really horrible snow and ice that we had recently. Then I put Sainsburys fuel in and it was into the mid twenties! Back onto shell this time and already it seems better again... With my Civic I can get consistently 45-48 mpg on shell, but on supermarket fuel the best I ever got was 40/41 mpg.

Just out of interest what make of petrol do you use? From my own experience of driving Hondas I have found that they seem to be sensitive to the make of petrol. I always work out my fuel consumption and the supermarket fuel that I have used (tesco & sainsburys) always give me lower results than say Shell, BP or Esso. With my latest car (2003 2.0 petrol manual) I got 33mpg from Shell and that was a mix of town and long journeys and also driving in the really horrible snow and ice that we had recently. Then I put Sainsburys fuel in and it was into the mid twenties! Back onto shell this time and already it seems better again... With my Civic I can get consistently 45-48 mpg on shell, but on supermarket fuel the best I ever got was 40/41 mpg.

I don't use petrol, I use LPG :rolleyes:

BP Ultimate. Tesco 99 Ron is a little too harsh on the engine for me. I also use Vpower but it's 6p more a litre than Ultimate, and gives me worse MPG.

You guys think you have it bad i dont even want to think what mines doing mpg..... The V6 pulls like a train all the way to itd 6.5k limit and when no1's around swings past 120mpg without even breaking a sweat. Its changed how i drive tho if i keep t below 3k rpm it seems to sip fuel,kick it down/hold the gears and its george best!!!! lol . But hey if i wanted epic mpg i'd have a micra. Oh my other cars a 1989 1.6S Fiesta with a 2L zetec droped in that doos 25mpg if i'm lucky

Not Accord specific, but Honda in general, I've found it makes little difference on economy weather you drive carefully, or weather you hoof it.

In my CRX, I average to around 34mpg, and thats cruising at ~4000rpm

maybe for you vTec boys - diesel owners can have the fun at the mpg cost, or cruise along at 60mpg. My temper SERIOUSLY affects my MPG.

Sorry, didn't notice it was 6th Gen section.... I'll get me coat ;).

I have to drink Gordons - with the amount I can get through (my fav. is Plymouth Export) would bankrupt me. :(

Man I love the stuff... hard to get hold of too; round here anyway...

Oh my other cars a 1989 1.6S Fiesta with a 2L zetec droped in that doos 25mpg if i'm lucky

Sleeper!

Not Accord specific, but Honda in general, I've found it makes little difference on economy weather you drive carefully, or weather you hoof it.

In my CRX, I average to around 34mpg, and thats cruising at ~4000rpm

Agreed, certainly the case for me, Track: 22mpg Mway 60mph: 36mpg Mway 100+mph 32mpg!?! Granny town: 28mpg Normal town:26mpg

So my summary is, around town do over 100mph :lol:

you can get it here back of lorry.com and the real deal no fake stuff.

Do they deliver? - or should that be de-Liver? ;).

Agreed, certainly the case for me, Track: 22mpg Mway 60mph: 36mpg Mway 100+mph 32mpg!?! Granny town: 28mpg Normal town:26mpg

So my summary is, around town do over 100mph :lol:

Yep, last year I drove from mine to Chievley, stopped overnight, and in the morning drove to Castle Coombe (for Japfest), had two 15 minute sessions during the day, and then drove home.

34mpg :D

Just did another brim check and it was 26.7 MPG. I am thinking that I might as well drive something more lairy if I am going to be getting that kind of economy. There isn't a for sale section on here is there?. Can't seem to find one.

Hello Redtwin

I had a 1.8 SE Sport on a W. I did about 110,000 miles in it before I got out. A lovely car, but the fuel economy never really got out of the high 20's. In fact, that was one of the reasons it finally had to go! It borderline passed it's emissions test on the MOT in 2005 and the first thought was Lambda sensor (this turned out not to be the case). In any case, it was certainly running rich and I never got to the bottom of it.

I replaced it with a 2.0 SE saloon on a Y with 25,000 on the clock. When I first got it, I noticed the fuel economy was about the same or a little better that the 1.8 Sport. Anyway, after many more miles, the Cambelt was more or less due (done at 65,000, and not by a Honda dealer). At the time, I also slung a lot of cash at it on a full service - plugs, Oil and filters, etc. Within a week of this I was routinely getting 31-33 mpg on mainly motorway runs.

My point is that the 2.0 gave much better economy overall than my 1.8, but it may be that a really good service might also give you surprising gains in economy. I know it's all money you have to spend, but I regularly saw 370 to 400 miles off a tank with the 2.0SE, albeit with the warning light just on (but you've got 2 galls left when that happens). Both these cars were bought from Lookers Honda and had been dealer maintained.

The car was fully serviced by the supplying car dealer before I bought it late last Oct. I actually checked the airfilter and plugs myself (engine and autobox oil were like brand new) as I don't tend to place much trust in garages, but it was serviced as they said it was. The lambda sensor looked to be new, which isn't usually part of a service, so it must have been done very recently by them or the previous owner. MOT isn't until Oct, but there is a good chance the car will be sold before then.

Thanks for the tips though.

The car was fully serviced by the supplying car dealer before I bought it late last Oct. I actually checked the airfilter and plugs myself (engine and autobox oil were like brand new) as I don't tend to place much trust in garages, but it was serviced as they said it was. The lambda sensor looked to be new, which isn't usually part of a service, so it must have been done very recently by them or the previous owner. MOT isn't until Oct, but there is a good chance the car will be sold before then.

Thanks for the tips though.

When car was serviced did they replace the fuel filter, as its tucked away underneath the car it can get overlooked.

When i purchased my car dealer said it would get a full service which it did barring the fuel filter.

My old 406 HDi got 45mpg at best, closer to 35 around town.

The 2.0 vtec auto I reckon is using one and a half the amount of fuel the pug used to. For example, I would have put £20 diesel in and get 200 miles, in the Honda I am putting £30 for the same.

But then I am happy to pay that for the sheer comfort of the thing, and the fact that hopefully it will be less stressful on the wallet with spending on the Peugeot on sensors, electrics, rust and weak mounting points etc.

Exceptional servicing not exceptionally slow driving for better MPG

Granted I’m an Honda enthusiast and my own 2002 2.3 Type- V Auto didn’t concern me on fuel consumption, as I was getting around 22-25mpg when we first acquired last year with 94k on it, well owning 2003 63k Vectra auto which Returned 22-26mpg, then my 2000 88k ford Mondeo 2.0l auto was around 18-25 mpg. Therefore nobody would think any less of it looking at equivalent cars figures. However' how could I ever compare it to such s**** boxes to a Honda with a V-TEC Engine. So I decided to get my hands dirty and understand the technology and what needed addressing not overlooking as it ages ect. Now the Accord is at 108k and returning an realistic 32-33mpg of urban driving and well on the motorway it’s 43-44 mpg. I hope you can agree it was well worth the time and effort as it’s now a faultless motor and I’ve since resolved this niggle on several 6th Gen' Accords.

Theirs no magic tool or trick it’s just lots of un-common sense and consideration...

I get 16-20mpg around town, 28-32mpg on a run. I'd say thats about what I can expect from a 3.0 V6 mated to an auto.

I always look at the bigger picture when it comes to mpg. If your car is proving reliable and not needing new parts left right and centre, then I'd rather pay a little more on fuel.

£20 diesel in HDi 406 = 170 miles (when diesel was 130.9p)

£25 petrol in Accord = 80 miles (unleaded 75ron is now 133.9p)

I do suspect it needs a good service, will get stuck in to that job soon.

Edit:
I calculated that I'm now getting around 19.5mpg, compared to my old diesel which gave 41mpg.

I didn't realise a 2.0 (albeit an auto) would be so thirsty. Might as well be a V8.

Has put a dampener on what I think is a cracking car :(

"I didn't realise a 2.0 (albeit an auto) would be so thirsty. Might as well be a V8."

Exactly the sentiment that led to the original post.

I did the full to half,refilled and worked out my mpg tonight. I'm getting 18.1mpg to work and back its only a few miles across town . Thats the first car i've ever had hat pretty much does what the book says it should do and thats with almost 164k on the clock. Next weekend its having a 400+mile round trip so i'll be able to work out how it does on a run. Hope its around 30mpg at least.......

£25 petrol in Accord = 80 miles (unleaded 75ron is now 133.9p)

I do hope you meant 95 RON :p

My daily commute is ~30 miles of motorway each way, usually with a bit of traffic in the morning. Mine generally works out to somewhere round the 30MPG mark.

I do hope you meant 95 RON :p

My daily commute is ~30 miles of motorway each way, usually with a bit of traffic in the morning. Mine generally works out to somewhere round the 30MPG mark.

95 RON is what I meant. Regular unleaded.

Worked it out about 20mpg.

Needs a service I reckon, seller was cagey about when it was last done. Might help the engine breathe.

30mpg is about right IMO. If you can change your driving style a little it could save you fuel. Instead of a long acceleration to your steady speed, accelerate slightly quicker. It might only be 1-2 mpg though.

My 1.8 Hondamatic Accord only did 25mpg.