What's new

fuel economy (big topic lol)

bikerman

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Sport
Just looking at threads on here regarding fuel economy on the vtec 1.8 and I have to say aside from doing a 200 mile trip (which cost c. £30 in fuel each way) fuel economy is really quote poor on these engines... I am generally luck to get more than 25mpg

I have seen fuelling mods about which claim to give both more power and better fuel economy... is there anything in there that is true?

I would love to see this car return better fuel economy.... I may even use it more! lol

Thanks

BM

25mpg is very poor, ok the Accord is a bigger car compared to my old MB6 Civic VTIS but that would generally do around 32-36mpg mainly round town and a few short motorway runs and even almost 40mpg on the long runs to the south of France. I dont think those fuel saving devices are any good, when was it last serviced? Plugs/Air filter?

25mpg is very poor, ok the Accord is a bigger car compared to my old MB6 Civic VTIS but that would generally do around 32-36mpg mainly round town and a few short motorway runs and even almost 40mpg on the long runs to the south of France. I dont think those fuel saving devices are any good, when was it last serviced? Plugs/Air filter?

Hi

The car only does 4-5K per year, engine oil/filter changed yearly and plugs/filter every other...

It runs fine (a bit better than recently now it has a new battery) just a little thirsty...

on the recent long run, I got c. 40mpg... which is ok... maybe, but normally round town I will get 80-100 miles from £20 (which I have just used a spreadsheet to calculate) it returns between 24 and 30 mpg but usually nearer 26ish....

maybe it will improve now I have a new battery? (cant see how though)

Cheers

A new battery shouldn't really effect it, wait and see what other 1.8 owners have to say about there's.

Well, my 2.0 Accord 6th Gen with an automatic transmission manage 29/30 mpg urban at MAX, generally around town it's close to 20-25, urban it does around 40.

it's quite poor isn;t it...

A mate of mine had a BMW 330c which would return 28mpg round towns....

I read on here about cleaning the EGR valve? I may give this a go, is there a technique or process to follow...

100 miles to £20 is about right, you see £20 is not 20 litres, its 15 so in your minds eye you should see that as £15 if you get me.

If all the driving is town then it wont get more than 30mpg really, particularly now that its cold outside, that takes a great load off economy.

if you getting 40mpg on the motorway run then the car is running fine.

so yeah sorry to say 27-30mpg for full town in winter is about right.

Im sure the diesel boys lose 4-5mpg in the winter too.

IMHO it's the brake, not the accelerator, that kills your fuel economy -especially around town.

I don't know your driving style, but it's all to easy to stick to the bumper of the guy in front, hopping between gas and brake every few seconds. Try and let a 20 yard gap open up, then creep forward to fill it (you'll always get an @rse who sees this as an opportunity to overtake. Relax -it's part of the game).

Once you're in a clear bit, progress gently to the next junction, don't gun it to 40, only to stamp on and waste your hard won momentum in heating the disks.

If your runs are short and frequent the car will never reach its optimum temperature, especially in the colder months, this too can eat at your economy.

Or of course, you may drive like James May and have a genuine fault!

IOr of course, you may drive like James May and have a genuine fault!

lol.... I am more James Hay than James Hunt, but I do have a heavy right foot.... these cars have next to nothing power wise below 3K and only really shift >5K.... but that's when they become thirsty

To get the 40MPG yesterday on a 200 mile return trip, I spent a lot of the drive tailgating wagons, so it was a lot of 60MPH and below on the motorways, reducing drag by tucking in behind the wagons... still did the trip in a good time though 3hr 15mins... yes, i did go over 80 on a few occasions too..

I will try taking it easy, keep the revs down and drive with my 'captain sensible' head on for a while see how that works out...

In an urban situation, 25 mpg is actually not that bad. There are real variances between the mpg that people seem to be getting. I used to get 400 miles out of a full tank in my old 2.0 6th gen, and from the ATR i get around 350 with mixed driving.

There is another thread on here that has asked about mpg and i have responded to those. Have a read through them and see if any of the suggestions that have been made will help your situation.

I would have to agree with Matt on this one though. Try changing your driving style and see if that helps.

around town i fetch back about 28mpg thats with my straight through 2.5 inch exhaust + decat , 18" wheels and un-aerodynamic bodykit hope that helps not sure how it would though lol

Get around 17-20 around town and about 32mpg on a run. Thats about right for a largish V6 mind. A guy at work has a 2001 5 speed 2.0 Executive SE and says he's jealous of me as he states he gets 20 around town and 32 on a run like mine!! Has had the car given a good diag by a local tuning company too.

2.0 vtec es manual will do around 320 miles per tank-mainly urban driving-thats driven fairly gently. Not very good but still the oldest car in the house (1999)

I've just filled the tank and got 310mls out of it, all types of driving ie town, dual carridgeway. I normally drive with a bit of pace. The Honda needs a service but seem to be getting near enough the same as I did last year when it was serviced, but generally i get 300 ± 20mls per tank

To be honest that's not too bad. A heavy foot will make a real difference on any car, especially on a 6th gen.

Fill the car up again and change your driving style to 'Grandad fitment'. I'm currently on an economy run with my car and this means no revving over 2500 rpm, unless on a dual carrageway, in which case i'll stick to 60 (i.E 3000 rpm). Use the momentum whenever you can, read the road ahead and try not to use the brakes by anticipating what's going to happen.

So far i've used just under half a tank and have got 207 miles. Will keep this updated.

IMHO it's the brake, not the accelerator, that kills your fuel economy -especially around town.
I totally agree. ;)

The throttle is not the enemy, unless you use it at the most inappropriate times then hammer on the brakes. Even when i leave a motorway, i usually won't touch the brake pedal unless it's absolutely necessary. Leave the motorway at 70mph and use your momentum to try and carry you as far as is safely possible.

I return around 27-29mpg from my 2.2, which i've always thought was pretty good. I rarely poodle around at low revs and usually cruise on motorways at 70+, which is about 4000rpm. Fuel octane rating has never made any significant difference on mine. I'll generally get 310 miles per tank (until the light comes on) from Shell Fuelsave and 320 miles per tank from V-Power. The 3% efficiency saving is offset by the extra cost of super unleaded, which can be anything from £2 to £6 extra per tank, depending on where you fill up. My local forecourt charges 11p per litre extra for super unleaded, whereas Sainsburys 97 is only 2p/3p dearer than normal petrol.

Another tip for improved fuel consumption is to run ultrasonically cleaned and flow-matched fuel injectors. On an old engine with high mileage, you may see improvements in torque and fuel economy. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0wQh7ijOcY&feature=related

I usually get about 30mpg on a run. They are not as economical as the specs of the car might suggest if you drive them at any sort of speed.

I get 30mpg
150miles on about 22litres
its some city driving and dual carriageway
I've yet to experiment and see if i can push above it

Every time you brake, you're using your fuel to run little heaters in each wheel arch, heating up the air outside the car. Driving with the aim of not braking will make you smoother and more aware, which will result in better fuel consumption.

^^^Spot on!!!!!

Have a rep point on me.

I'm running my first full tank through this car, so far got 230 miles from just over half a tank, varied driving, mostly a and b roads, little bit of motorway/dual carriage way, I'm hoping to get around 350 from a full tank, any more is a bonus. How do people find the fuel gauges on the accord? The one on my last ford was hopeless, I could brim the tank from it showing absolutely nothing and it would take 45 litres, but it was a 55 litre tank, I would get 30 miles from the 1st 1/4, 120 from the next 1/4 and then around 150 from the last half!

Ive had 2 6th gens Accords now, a W reg 2.0 SE and the ATR, and the fuel gagues on both have been spot on. Once the light comes on you have between 30-50 miles left.

I chickened out in my 2.0 at 40 though :lol: And the ATR in the 2 years i've owned it i have never had less than 1/4 tank in it.

Just refilled my tank, took 53 litres, done 350 miles, so coming back as near as dammit 30mpg, fairly happy at that.

Hoe much Vtec are you using mate? And what is your normal driving pattern? Urban or cruising?

Hoe much Vtec are you using mate? And what is your normal driving pattern? Urban or cruising?

It's really a mixed bag of driving, mostly A and B roads driving to work, there are a couple of junctions where I have to pull out in to a 60 zone, so have to give it the beans some times. I try to "taxi drive" as much as I can, not exceeding 3000rpm where possible. I very rarely do any long distance motorway driving, but it will be interesting to see what MPG I get when I do.

If you're getting 30 mpg out of mixed driving then i'd be pretty happy with that.