What's new

Fuel filter change

block

Members
Reaction score
Car
56 Ex diesel saloon
Changed the oil, oil filter, pollen and air filter, but left the fuel filter till last. I have read the diy on this site that sounded a little complictated. Hoping someone will say 'its easier when you start and remove stuff'. Anyone gonna say it for me, please?

its easy when you start removing stuff - the easy bit is the tea breaks in between ;)

Paul, it's genuinlely quite easy. The only bit that's hard is to remove the 10mm bolts that hold the filter clamp in place, and that's really down to their awkward location. But put your mind to it and even a non trained amateur like me can do it.

The DIY on here makes it sound worse than it is. As long as you have a knuckle joint in your socket set you will be fine. The 2 10mm bolts holding the filter against the bulk head are a pain, but at least when you drop them they tend to fall all the way through the engine bay so you can just collect them from the floor ;)

Thanks all. No offence to CJM, cheers for the write up but it is hard to understand (for me) without pictures!
Fahad, people trust you (non trained amateur) with their cars!!!!
Chris, me, drop them, with my sausage fingers, guaranteed!!!!!
Must remember to disconnect battery!!!

Cheers all.

Thanks all. No offence to CJM, cheers for the write up but it is hard to understand (for me) without pictures!
Fahad, people trust you (non trained amateur) with their cars!!!!
Chris, me, drop them, with my sausage fingers, guaranteed!!!!!
Must remember to disconnect battery!!!

Cheers all.

Paul

no offence taken :)

It is quite simple to do so long as you can get the filter cage off the bulkhead.

next time I do the fuel filter I'll get some pictures and edit the DIY. (Basically I wrote the DIY from memory, after doing the job, but did it as a step by step, so it looks worse than it is)

Cheers.
Will have a look morrow if I get the time. Just broke the toilet trying to mend it so thats the prioriy!!!!! Stupid 'unable to get to the toilet seat bracket' modern stylish thing.
Cheers.

Cheers.
Will have a look morrow if I get the time. Just broke the toilet trying to mend it so thats the prioriy!!!!! Stupid 'unable to get to the toilet seat bracket' modern stylish thing.
Cheers.

:lol: They are stupid now a days

One thing I found is once you've removed the filter and its housing unscrewing the filter from the housing is a pain without a vice (I did have a filter wrench). I couldnt budge mine and ended up popping to a local garage and he stuck it in his vice and with the filter wrench it was off in seconds.

Just discovered the seat is a fast release version! So I can remove it from the seat and at least I can take the bolt to a shop to make it easier to get a bolt to fit!

Dave. I have a crappy Draper strap type filter wrench and a knackered table mate thing that two sides wind together, I cant see there being an issue. Lots of swearing to come morrow. " Take the kids out love, things are gonna get fruity".

Cheers.

That'll do the job mate good luck and honestly it aint that bad to do.

:lol: I managed it WITH my 3 year old running around - in fact I found it easier to stuff him in the car and let him pretend to drive ;).

:lol: I managed it WITH my 3 year old running around - in fact I found it easier to stuff him in the car and let him pretend to drive ;).

I normally let my 3 year old play inside with some polish and a duster, smells nice afterwards just not sure Mr sheen is that good for leather seats :huh: