Fuel starvation when hot, some potential findings

Channel Hopper

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 7 Estate 2005
1) Following on from this post,

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/23664-lag-in-acceleration/?p=246275

2) having the car failing to start a second time this month after a short stop when hot, and

3)noticing that the f***ing fuel filter is directly above the exhaust (and rather hot under a dark blue bonnet with insulation), I decided to look into possible failings and fixes.

Other Accord owners in the past will, either by natural response or, under pressure to continue their journey, done the thing that springs to mind, crank the engine until the battery goes flat.
I'v been there/done that with the result I had to travel home/back with spare battery. By that time - only - one of us had cooled down.

So far I have the following to offer as positives

a) leaving until everything cools down for about an hour and she starts with no issue. (not always convenient)

b) opening the bonnet and doing a) and she starts after about 20 minutes with no issue, (more convenient than a),

a) and b) suggest latent heat under the bonnet has something to do with this

c)Depressing the manual bladder until hard makes no difference at all to the starting, but it does confirm there is liquid in the pipes.

d) opening the fuel cap results in an escape of pressurised air/fuel leaving the tank at atmospheric pressure.

She started immediately after depressurising, so I next time this happens I'll do the same. It might be the components had reached a low enough temperature that got me under way but I'm not so sure.

PS I had considered draining the fuel filter last week after advice on the same thread there is a drain under the unit, I looked again this afternoon when stopped by the roadside but couldn't see a thing.

Even if there is a drain on mine it really will be a pig to get to directly, or work on with the tools in the garage, and since there was a large lump of cast iron just below, belting out heat in the hundreds of degrees I couldn't have done much anyway without taking a lot of skin off.

Fuel filter problems normally bring up the engine warning light plus P1065 and/or P0087 DTCs.

The usual reason for hot starting problems is a failure of the fuel rail to achieve to necessary minimum 200 Bar/ 20MPa during cranking because of excessive fuel leak-back to the tank... this is commonly due to the fuel rail over-pressure relief valve leaking, but can also be due to the lubrication paths on the injectors becoming worn. Leak back problems cause problems when hot because the warm fuel is far less viscous.

However it is interesting that you've discovered this issue with the fuel tank though.

Thanks, I had not checked if any codes have flagged up, will check tomorrow.

Should there be a shield above the exhaust , or under the filter ?

The manifold should have a heatshield. This will be held on by 3 bolts if an original 2-part/welded manifold or 2 bolts if a replacement single cast manifold.