What's new

Gas ***isted heater (diesel engine)

stevemed2012

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord CDTI
Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to disable the gas ***isted heater on the diesel CDTI because when I switch the heater on in the morning I get diesel fumes coming into the cabin? And no it isnt the exhaust manifold as I have just had it replaced with a brand new one from honda under warranty. Or does anyone know in the engine bay where it is so I can play with it?

Cheers,
Steve

Mines a little smelly too, glad it's not just me, I was beginning to think it was :rolleyes:

Can't help on the other info you wanted though, sorry.

Stephen iv heard with a new exhaust manifold it can still smell for a week or so until it settles in.

Do they all have them?

I thought the preheating system was based to on the a/c syste.

The Hot Gas Heating System ***ists the air conditioning system until the car is warm.

It operates automatically under the following conditions:
Air conditioning is 'On'
Engine coolant below 75C
Outside temperature between -30C and 5C
Temperature dial set so any position except 'Lo'

The system stops automatically after the engine has warmed up.

My suggestion is if you don't want it to activate just use your heater without the air con on and see if that makes a difference. But as Brett said it can take a while for the fumes to clear out the heater system. Your pollen filter may be contaminated with diesel fumes, give it a week or two for it to clear through before doing any drastic modifications to the heating system.

Mine smells too on a cold morning, if you have a look at http://dhclimatecontrol.com/hp.htm it explains how it works.

Basically the inside coil which it refers to is in where your pollen filter sits, we all know what a/c can smell like when its not been used for a while so whats it going to smell like when something that normalls goes cold and has water dripping off it starts to warm up? My guess is it'll prob smell something like the smell we all think are diesel fumes cos its only happening in the cold weather when the system is working in reverse.

Thats my thoughts anyway.

Yeah I get a smell with mine but it certainly isn't diesel.

Yep, that's the smell, I'd describe it as almost a damp sort of "musty" smell (if that makes any sense) Not exactly pleasant. Honda serviced my a/c last year and got to admit for about 6 hours it's smelt lovely...didn't last though.

If your a/c and vents are cleaned properly they will also be disinfected in the process. This makes the air coming through your vents smell fresh for weeks and even months afterwards not just a couple of hours. It's the bacteria living in the damp dirty vents which causes the air to smell stale. Sounds like all they did was mask the smell till you got off the forecourt.