What's new

Gear Knob / Gaitor Retaining Clip

stu08

Members
Reaction score
Car
TBC
Hi all,

Fitting a Skunk2 gear knob to my Accord; the standard one has seen better days!

Question: the standard gear knob is clipped to the gaitor to stop the boot pulling away from the knob; therefore exposing the threaded bar underneath.

Having looked at the Skunk2 version, it doesn't have this. I've seen on a certain online shop that you can buy retaining clips (universal). Has anyone bought and used one of these? Do the universal ones actually work?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi Stu I fitted the same gear knob to my 8th gen.
I took the gaiter off and turned inside out.Then cable tied it to the shaft just below the thread and turned back to the correct way.
So the cable tie is on the inside and grips the gaiter to the shaft.

ce327bc769503c80f20495960aedac56_zpsxcqb6r1j.jpg

Very clever! I'll be doing the exact same. Thanks for the advice bud.

Just thinking, we have very small jubilee clips at work, wonder if this would do the same trick.

stu08 said:
Very clever! I'll be doing the exact same. Thanks for the advice bud.
Just thinking, we have very small jubilee clips at work, wonder if this would do the same trick.
I would be careful thought it don't cut into the gaiter.
On mine the OEM ring that was attached to the gaiter and clipped onto the underside of the gear knob was cable tied in the same way.

Ah right! Thanks for the heads up. If it's good enough for Honda; I'll do what you did.

Thanks again.

As said in post #2 I did the same but used an S2K gear knob. But before I cable tied the gator back on the gearstick I used autosol and a scotch pad to clean up and polish the lever then tied the gator as low as possible just above the joggle. Keeps it looking clean and simple or S2K-ish.

Sounds awesome. I'm going to take a look at both options.

Silly question. How do I remove the plastic surrounding; so that I can fold the gaitor inside out to cable tie the gear lever shaft to the gaitor?

I can pull the front part up (closest to the 12v supply), but I can't get the rear (closest to the handbrake) to come out.

Any help appreciated.

When you lift the front part up work your fingers around the corners both sides at the same time and it will pop out of the centre consol. If you have buttons either side of the gearshift then you will need to disconnect these to lift the surround over the gear knob. When you have it inside out over the gear knob you can then get at the gator cable tie iirc.