What's new

Genuine Honda driveshaft

Steve199579

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord I-cdti 2006ex
Hi guys, I have replaced both my front driveshafts on my 06 I-cdti with 84k after the usual bad vibrations ***ociated with worn shafts (with budget ones) and is coming back again on the near side, although it doesn't always do it, usually between 1500-2250rpm, and even then mostly when cornering to the right, but now every now and then will do it in a straight line. This is more noticeable after driving for an hour or more on a long run. There is a very slight clunk (and I do mean slight) when pulling away from traffic lights that can be felt though the steering wheel as well, I ***ume this is all related?
I am looking for a second hand genuine Honda shaft to replace it with, but
1) are the genuine Honda parts stamped with the honda logo or part number, and can anyone tell me what that part number should be? So I can identify that it is a genuine one.
2) what wear exactly causes the vibration, so I can inspect the part for said wear.
Thanks in advance guys
Steve

Did you change the CV joints as well or just the driveshaft? I've always thought it was the inner CV joint that caused the vibrating.

Not sure if this helps, but a few years ago I had a B16 honda civic coupe that kept going through cv joints. In the end I followed most of the honda community at the time and purchased some driveshafts from J and R driveshafts. The price was cheap for a driveshaft and I could not fault the shafts, I used them for 2 years without an issue.

They should have driveshafts for your accord:

http://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/honda/

I remember going down to collect my driveshafts and they were really friendly.

Hope this helps

Hi there,
I had the dreaded vibration accelerating between 50 and 60 mph, about 6 months ago.
There was significant movement in the inner cv joint on the passenger side and a small amount on the drivers side.
Complete shafts changed to Blueprint ones and all vibration cured.
If it is a shaft you will feel lateral (up and down ) movement in the inner cv joint.
I never felt any clunks.
I would look for suspension ball joint or subframe rubber wear.
Hope you sort it out.
Regards, Geoff

The complete shaft, with inner and outer joints.
Lateral means side to side, which was the vibration I felt before the shafts were done, not up and down as you would expect there to be.
I really want the genuine part ideally, but want to try a used one before I stump up the sort of money honda want!
The vibration seems to only occur in second gear, but doubt that it would be the gearbox as it's always been to honda for EVERYTHING! The previous owners spent a fortune, even the brake pads and disks are honda.
Does anyone know if any special tools are needed to remove/replace the shaft? Anything else that should be changed at the same time?
Thanks for the responses so far :)

It's a bit of a dilemma. There are second hand genuine cdti driveshafts on ebay. Although if they've had a few years use they might not have long to go. But some aftermarket ones last five minutes. A Blueprint driveshaft or CV joint might be the answer. Okay quality at a reasonable price.

Plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to change one.

But as has been said, are you certain it's the driveshaft?

Cool cheers will check YouTube pal.
Can't see what else it could be? Although while driving I can tell that the tca bushes are worn, it doesn't drive very well, it pulls to the left/right depending on the road surface, whether this is connected to the vibration I don't know but wouldn't have thought so?

Any wear in the front tyres ?
If the tracking is out far ( as may be caused by cream crackered track control arm rubbers ) that could cause a vibration.
Had mine 4 wheel tracked and it made a world of difference.
But get the tca rubbers sorted first.

Steering could be compliance bush or track rod end ball joint maybe. Worth getting checked out if unsure.

This is the other problem, I took it to a garage the other day to go through the bushes with a fine tooth comb to pinpoint which it is, and they said they are all fine!? I know they are not, had enough experience working on cars to know they may not look bad, but they are worn enough to make it feel bad when driving. The one thing I want to try is swapping the tyres over. The fronts are not worn, they are nearly new BUT different brands, one is Michelin and the other three are pirelli so it might be worth trying for free? My missus when in the passenger side can feel it though the floor when it does do it. Actually, thinking about it I wonder why there is one tyre different to the rest; that that one had worn badly on one side and been replaced to pass an mot or hide a problem....will try and post the results

Driveshafts will vibrate at a given speed / rpm but not so dependant on cornering. I found at least with the 7gen even when components looked felt ok the tolerances seemed alot tighter. They chose a multilink suspension but didn't bother refine it enough to justify the cost involved should of just stuck to macphersons.

what side do you need?

Nearside mate, I know exactly what you mean, I like audi's, they know how to make multilink work!the handling is very indifferent, hoping Polybushes will help out tighten it up at least a little :)

Tried swapping the wheels over, no discernable difference, but I did have a play with the driveshaft and the inner one has play not much maybe moves 2-3mm when you hold the outer joint steady. Just rocking the wheel you can hear it clunking :)
Anyone on here have a known good honda one Nearside for sale?

I had a driveshaft go, but it turned out to be the big bearing on the end of it. Bought genuine Honda part, got local garage to fit, and sold redundant part on ebay.... The actual shaft was fine just the bearing. Been fine since :)