What's new

Gets stuck in park irratically. And maybe unrelated, there is an engine rattle.

LesB

Reaction score
Car
Accord Vtec, 05
I'm afraid I posted 'Engine revs and can't get in reverse' but I now have an update that corrects that description of the issue. Best I can do is paste the message here and maybe it will make sense to someone:

"Hi Les, so basically after driving home and when I put the car in park when I was trying to reverse into the drive it got stuck in park and made a really loud revving sound and jolted forward. Freaked out turned it off and on again where it did same again. After a couple more times stuck a key in the manual slot and eventually got it on the drive and when I put it back in park it got stuck and made revving noise again. Tried several more times. After half an hour later it worked fine! The next morning it was fine, when I left work it was fine. However got home and tried to put in park, it jolted forward got stuck and made revving noise again. I ***umed it was something to do with when engine was hot? However Wed morning when tried take it to garage it was cold and stuck in park. Mechanic came over Thurs and it happened to him as well. When he came on Friday it didn't happen and drove fine. At the garage is got stuck again but he said it wasn't revving?! And this is all on top of the massive rattling under the engine. He said he's stumped"

Not sure if the rattle is related but I do have a short video with it. Looks like I can't attach a video so if you want to hear it let me know and we can go from there.

Many thanks. (And apologies for having to post a second time)

Last edited:
Sorry the simple checks i suggested in your first post now irrelivant in light of your latest findings.Maybe someone with knowledge of these boxes can point you in the right direction? Id be interested to know your mileage and gearbox service history (oils etc) as i understand they are bulletproof with failures very rare!

Dont think you can post a video but you could share a link to youtube or such.

Sorry the simple checks i suggested in your first post now irrelivant in light of your latest findings.Maybe someone with knowledge of these boxes can point you in the right direction? Id be interested to know your mileage and gearbox service history (oils etc) as i understand they are bulletproof with failures very rare!
Thanks. It's got 95K on the clock. Not sure of the oil history though. It was serviced often enough but don't know if that included geabox oil. Doubt it.

Dont think you can post a video but you could share a link to youtube or such.
I might have to look at the sharing option. It basically sounds like the tappets are loose as hell but I would have thought they were hydraulic and therefore self adjusting. Guessing there though.