What's new

Glow plug issues

larven2b

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda CRV 2.2
Hi. I have crv 2.2 cdti n22a2 engine 2008. I have problems starting in very cold conditions. I ‘ve checked glow plugs, but there is no activating signal to the glow plug relay module. I have also replaced the relay with no sucess. Anyone know what conditions to be met before activating relay?

If you have access to a honda hds you can run a manual glow plug activation test. If your relay or plugs were faulty you should have received error p1384

Hi. There are no fault messages when i run a diagnos test. I have disconnected the temp sensor to simulate cold conditions. The glow lamp signal stays on for a while, but still there is no voltage to the glow plugs.
I thought there should be a 5v activating signal to the relay from the ECM. But this signal is missing.

Hi. It is only problems with starting when it is below -10 degree celsius. That is not normal here in Norway.
So i put 12 V directly to glow plugs and it started. I have also removed glow plugs and checked with ohmeter and added power to the directly. All is working. So I think it is the signal from the ecu to the relay that is the problem. I have delivered the car to a workshop but they do not find the fault. So now it may be a quick fix with an external switch directly to the glow plugs. To be used in very cold conditions.
Does anyone know what conditions to be met for the ecu to give the output signal or have a wiring diagram for this?

There is a lot in the Accord Honda workshop manual (ESM) about checking glowplug function. I would ***ume there'd be some similarity with the CR-V.

Apologies, but my copy/paste has missed off the schematics. Unfortunately the numbering has also become reset to 1 in many places (maybe find your own manual somewhere?)...

1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

1. Do the gauge self-diagnostic procedure.
Does the glow plug indicator flash?
YES -
Go to Step 3 .
NO -
Substitute a known-good gauge ***embly, and recheck. If the glow plug indicator circuit is OK, replace the original gauge ***embly.■

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II), and watch the glow plug indicator.
Does the glow plug indicator stay off?
YES -
Go to Step 7 .
NO -
Go to Step 5 .

1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II), and watch the glow plug indicator.
Does the glow plug indicator stay on?
YES -
Go to Step 12 .
NO -
The glow plug indicator circuit is OK.■

1. Try to start the engine.
Does the engine start?
YES -
Go to Step 8 .
NO -
Go to Step 16 .

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and wait 30 seconds.

1. Disconnect the gauge ***embly 30P connector.

1. Disconnect ECM connector No. 2 (58P).

1. Check for continuity between ECM connector No. 2 terminal No. 33 and gauge ***embly 30P connector terminal No. 10.
Is there continuity?
YES -
Update the ECM if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good ECM, then recheck. If the symptom/indication goes away with a known-good ECM, replace the original ECM. ■
NO -
Repair open in the wire between the gauge ***embly and ECM connector No. 2 terminal No. 33.■

1. Disconnect the gauge ***embly 30P connector.

1. Check for continuity between ECM connector No. 2 terminal No. 33 and body ground.
Is there continuity?
YES -
Repair short in the wire between the gauge ***embly and ECM connector No. 2 terminal No. 33.■
NO -
Update the ECM if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good ECM, then recheck. If the symptom/indication goes away with a known-good ECM, replace the original ECM. ■

1. Press the inertia switch button.

1. Try to start the engine.
Does the engine start?
YES -
Troubleshooting is complete.■
NO -
Go to Step 18 .

1. Check PGM-FI main relay 1.
Is PGM-FI main relay 1 OK?
YES -
Go to Step 19 .
NO -
Replace PGM-FI main relay 1.■

1. Inspect No. 8 FI ECU (ECM) (20 A) fuse in the under-hood fuse/relay box.
Is the fuse OK?
YES -
Go to Step 26 .
NO -
Go to Step 20 .

1. Disconnect PGM-FI main relay 1.

1. Check for continuity between body ground and PGM-FI main relay 1 4P connector terminals No. 1 and No. 4 individually.
Is there continuity?
YES -
Repair short in the wire between PGM-FI main relay 1 and No. 8 FI ECU (ECM) (20 A) fuse. Also replace No. 8 FI ECU (ECM) (20 A) fuse.■
NO -
Go to Step 22 .

1. Disconnect the fuel rail pressure control valve 2P connector.

1. Check for continuity between PGM-FI main relay 1 4P connector terminal No. 2 and body ground.
Is there continuity?
YES -
Repair short in the wire between PGM-FI main relay 1, fuel rail pressure control valve and ECM connector No. 2 terminal No. 1, No. 3 or No. 5. Also replace No. 8 FI ECU (ECM) (20 A) fuse.■
NO -

1. Disconnect PGM-FI main relay 1.

1. Measure voltage between body ground and PGM-FI main relay 1 4P connector terminals No. 1 and No. 4 individually.
Is there battery voltage?
YES -
Go to Step 29 .
NO -
Repair open in the wire between PGM-FI main relay 1 and No. 8 FI ECU (ECM) (20 A) fuse.■

1. Connect PGM-FI main relay 1 4P connector terminal No. 3 to body ground with a jumper wire.

1. Check for continuity between ECM connector No. 2 terminal No. 19 and body ground.
Is there continuity?
YES -
Go to Step 35 .
NO -
Go to Step 32 .

1. Disconnect the inertia switch 3P connector.

1. Connect inertia switch 3P connector terminals No. 1 and No. 3 with a jumper wire.

1. Check for continuity between ECM connector No. 2 terminal No. 19 and body ground.
Is there continuity?
YES -
Replace the inertia switch .■
NO -
Repair open in the wire between PGM-FI main relay 1 and ECM connector No. 2 terminal No. 19.■

1. Measure voltage between ECM connector No. 2 terminal No. 35 and body ground.
Is there battery voltage?
YES -
Go to Step 37 .
NO -
Go to Step 36 .

1. Inspect No. 18 IG ACG (15 A) fuse in the under-dash fuse/relay box.
Is the fuse OK?
YES -
Repair open in the wire between No. 18 IG ACG (15 A) fuse and ECM connector No. 2 terminal No. 1.■
NO -
Repair short in the wire between No. 18 IG ACG (15 A) fuse and ECM connector No. 2 terminal No. 1.■

1. Check for continuity between PGM-FI main relay 1 4P connector terminal No. 2 and ECM connector No. 2 terminals No. 1, No. 3, and No. 5 individually.
Is there continuity?
YES -
Go to Step 38 .
NO -
Repair open in the wire between PGM-FI main relay 1 and ECM connector No. 2 terminal No. 1, No. 3 or No. 5.■

1. Check for continuity between body ground and ECM connector No. 2 terminals No. 2, No. 4, and No. 6 individually.
Is there continuity?
YES -
NO -
Repair open in the wire between PGM-FI main relay 1 and ECM connector No. 2 terminal No. 1, No. 3 or No. 5.■

Thanks for the information. Can someone explain me the 9 terminals on the glow plug relay module. And where the wiring are coming from? Thanks in advance.

Thank You very much for the link to the manual. I’ve been looking for manuals. But have only found for petrol models. Manual is now ordered :)

Now I have done a lot of tests. But still struggling. The command voltage to relay from ecu is 12V.
I thought this would be a 5V signal? When i tested the relay itself it was working with 5V on the st pin. The relay is a hueco 132172.
Is the ECU faulty or the relay is wrong type?....