What's new

Glow plugs?

tbourner

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Abarth 595
So since the garage gave me an engine light and flashing glow plug light on the dash, I've booked into Honda next week for diagnosis. Is there anything I should check before doing that? They told me the code came back as 'fuel heater temperature sensor' or something similar? I don't want to pay Honda loads to find out it's a fuse or something silly, then not be able to get that money back from the garage.

Somebody else has mentioned it might be a fuse blown now, where's the glow plug fuse? Is there anything they might have knocked or shorted when messing about on the car with the front end off?

My fuse board location is by the drivers side kick panel (next to accelarator pedal) and has a diagram on the back of fuses and locations on the board, i don't have a Diesel tho so the particular fuse your after may be elsewhere? but i'd start there!!

depending on where things are located in your engine bay, it's possibe they could have knock a wire/connector, have a look around your fuel system (fuel pump/common rail and glow plug connectors) and make sure all connectors look in tact!

you could always remove the glow plugs and check they "glow" but having not worked on a diesel accord i don't know how deep they are burried! (the glow plug fault we use to get on VW's was something like "heater circuit 1 malfunction")

hope it's just a fuse or something simple for you!

maybe someone else may have more info?

Trev, you seem to be mixing up the fuel heater system and the glowplugs... they are very different things (and therefore could well be on different fuse circuits). The fuel heater is on the bulkhead near the fuel filter (same fuel supply goes through both) but I don't know where its temperature sensor is.

The electrical connectors on the fuel pump and the fuel rail have anything nothing to do with either the fuel heater or the glowplugs.

Do you know the error code that was coming up?

As said Trev if you can get the fault code it will take a lot of guess work out

I don't know the actual code he'd just written it down on paper and I think it was "fuel heater temperature sensor" but not 100%. I just guessed it meant plugs as they pre-heat to help it start, I know the code descriptions often aren't very clear!

It's booked in for Friday at Honda I was just hoping for some other options before then.
Somebody on another forum suggested fuel filter but it was changed about 4k ago and I don't have any running issues.
The battery is low (haven't measured but it's near black in the porthole rather than bright green like it usually is), might cause gremlins?
Another suggestion is chaffed wire in tailgate causing horn to stop working? I haven't tried the horn though so that's easy to rule out later.
Turbo incorrectly boosting was also suggested as a 'book' reason for the fault light, I don't fancy flooring it to test it with a fault light though!

OK the actual description was "fuel heater temperature switch faulty"

I don't know the actual code he'd just written it down on paper and I think it was "fuel heater temperature sensor" but not 100%. I just guessed it meant plugs as they pre-heat to help it start, I know the code descriptions often aren't very clear!

It's booked in for Friday at Honda I was just hoping for some other options before then.
Somebody on another forum suggested fuel filter but it was changed about 4k ago and I don't have any running issues.
The battery is low (haven't measured but it's near black in the porthole rather than bright green like it usually is), might cause gremlins?
Another suggestion is chaffed wire in tailgate causing horn to stop working? I haven't tried the horn though so that's easy to rule out later.
Turbo incorrectly boosting was also suggested as a 'book' reason for the fault light, I don't fancy flooring it to test it with a fault light though!
I can't see this being the fuel filter... if anything, you'd be getting P1065 and/or P0087 error codes.

My (original Honda) battery didn't give any green indication at all for the last couple of years I had it on the car (and it's still working fine on my lawn tractor!)... your Bosch EDC16 ECU has comprehensive internal 'power conditioning' to cope with low voltages/brown outs so is unlikely to be affected by a battery that's a little weak (if it can crank the engine over fast enough to start it then it'll almost certainly be OK).

Tailgate/horn???

Incorrect turbo boost (either high or low) should be sensed by the MAP sensor and an error code stored.

Has anyone tried clearing off all stored error codes to see what comes back? It is hard to distinguish between current/active problems and historic ones that were stored, but mat have been transient.

Fuel heater ***embly is part #17 (Honda part numbers displayed) and switch appears to be part #28...
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection.php?block_01=17SED01&block_02=B__0403&block_03=608

Well I've heard of this off/on 3 times thing but the manual isn't very clear on how to do it. Is it supposed to be: Key out, key in, start engine, wait 30 seconds, key out then in again, start engine, wait 30 seconds etc.? Or is the 30 seconds supposed to be with the engine off?

Well I've heard of this off/on 3 times thing but the manual isn't very clear on how to do it. Is it supposed to be: Key out, key in, start engine, wait 30 seconds, key out then in again, start engine, wait 30 seconds etc.? Or is the 30 seconds supposed to be with the engine off?
I've heard that you had to go through 3 complete warm up/cool down cycles to cleear the light... too much trouble (and I doubt the stored codes would be cleared). Disconnecting the battery negative cable for 20 minutes WILL extinguish the ECU warning light for an inactive fault, but again will not actually wipe the stored code from the ECU (which can be either useful or annoying).

Can't believe you don't have a code reader, you tight sod.

Can't believe you don't have a code reader, you tight sod.

I didn't know you could buy them! :huh: Don't only Honda garages have them? I know there's a 'hack' using a short across the plug somewhere but I never like doing that.

//edit: Is this the kind of thing:
link

I didn't know you could buy them! :huh: Don't only Honda garages have them? I know there's a 'hack' using a short across the plug somewhere but I never like doing that.

//edit: Is this the kind of thing:
link
Coincidentally, that's the exact one I have (the D900)... they are half that price on eBay (and there are usually some for around a tenner). Some are just a bluetooth header that you can operate with your (mostly Android) smartphone. Whatever sort, well worth having in your toolkit and pretty much pays for itself very quickly.

Good luck at Honda.

Fuel heater ***embly is part #17 (Honda part numbers displayed) and switch appears to be part #28...
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection.php?block_01=17SED01&block_02=B__0403&block_03=608

I presume this is a facelift car in which case the part number is 26 on this diagram - http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SEA701&block_02=B__0421&block_03=3167 . A far more sensible price than the pre-facelift one if it needs replacing.

Alan

Turned out to be the relay in the n/s wing wasn't plugged in properly. £60 for Honda to plug it in and delete the codes.

Now the bodyshop are saying they'll send the invoice off to the insurance company and ring me when they hear back from them!! Why would the insurance company pay for THEIR mistake in fitting the new wing? So I'm not getting my £60 back then. :(