What's new

Good tyres

drobbins777

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2003 2.0 AUTO
Hi all

I like good tyres and some mid range never been a fan of budgets.

I always or nearly always get Avons for my cars as good on wear, noise, comfort and wet and dry grip.

When cash strapped occasionally get Jingyu's.

Any good ones people are finding particularly on 17" rims.

Cheers

Del

Mine's having Michelin Pilot Sport 3's fitted tomorrow, £95/corner fitted & balanced, not a bad price I thought got premium tyres.

I've had budget tyres before though, never again, false economy imo.

skinnyman said:
Mine's having Michelin Pilot Sport 3's fitted tomorrow, £95/corner fitted & balanced, not a bad price I thought got premium tyres.

I've had budget tyres before though, never again, false economy imo.
Would be interested to hear what you think of these mate, as I was thinking about getting those on mine at some point.
Cheers Pete

I heard that the good year eagle F1s are really good, a few people have them on their Accords.
Dunlop blue response are good too. Excellent handling and low noise output

Make sure you get the XL (extra load) tyre and usually 94 rating load spec.
The accord likes a stiffer side wall

I have always used Falken ZE912 on my accord 2.4. They now replaced it with Falken ZE914 which i find the rubber is softer wearing quicker.
Handling is quite good is wet and dry is very good i think.
p.s. i drive my car pretty hard especially roundabouts :)

I've just had Uniroyal Rainsport3's fitted. They are brilliant. Got a good deal from Tyre Traders, even Camskills couldn't match them. I had Conti sport contact 5's previously but performance had dropped badly once they'd got to around 4mm.

accord_n22 said:
I heard that the good year eagle F1s are really good, a few people have them on their Accords.
Dunlop blue response are good too. Excellent handling and low noise output

Make sure you get the XL (extra load) tyre and usually 94 rating load spec.
The accord likes a stiffer side wall
Because the Dunlops were out of stock the moment i ordered them, i went for a set of goodyear eagle F1. With 225 wide 17" even better fuel economy then my 205 16".
Nice and quiet too :)

ride_to_die said:
I've just had Uniroyal Rainsport3's fitted. They are brilliant. Got a good deal from Tyre Traders, even Camskills couldn't match them. I had Conti sport contact 5's previously but performance had dropped badly once they'd got to around 4mm.
Ahh, I have got a few mm left until then, but that isn't great to hear. I have not drove the car much since the tyres have been fitted. I am yet to test them in the rain

Dohcvtec-

just to clarify, the contis were brilliant in all weathers. In the rain the performance did drop off once they were around 4mm but i do drive the car pretty hard.In the dry they were absolutely fine.

Well I still like me Avons. £74 a corner and well worth trying. Smooth, good grip, good ride. Last well. Also UK made. Most in Melksham, Wiltshire. Old fashioned I know but helps our economy. Goodyear and Dunlops arent made in the UK but they do have a plant in Wolverhampton for rubber processing. Pirelli still make some in the UK too. Asda tyres give good prices aswell as Black Circles and mytyres. Etyres good if you want mobile fitters. .

Nice to share experiences on these though as quite interesting selections and all good tyres.

Check out review site

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

I have Coopers on my summer 17s, very pleased.

Made by Avon (in case you did not know), and a few quid cheaper.

old cruiser said:
Would be interested to hear what you think of these mate, as I was thinking about getting those on mine at some point.
Cheers Pete
Just had them fitted. Only done a few miles back from the garage but already alot better than the Kumho's I had on before, now got Pilot Sport 3's all round. Car feels alot more planted and less tramlining. I only got the 91 weight rated, as that's apparently standard spec, but the 94's (XL) are only a few more quid if you want to go with them, I already had 91's on the back, so wante all 4 to match. Hate having mismatched tyres.

I just replaced rear ones on mine with Toyo CF2 XL at Halfords (yay!) for £73.33 each. They had offer £10 off when getting a pair which seemed to good to miss out.

I had Avons at one stage but found the side walls way too soft so they always looked like they were low.

Been running Falken 914's and they are pretty good, not fantastic but do the job.

skinnyman said:
Just had them fitted. Only done a few miles back from the garage but already alot better than the Kumho's I had on before, now got Pilot Sport 3's all round. Car feels alot more planted and less tramlining. I only got the 91 weight rated, as that's apparently standard spec, but the 94's (XL) are only a few more quid if you want to go with them, I already had 91's on the back, so wante all 4 to match. Hate having mismatched tyres.
Thanks for that mate, the word planted is exactly what I wanted to hear!LOL as my front end doesn't with the ones I have on at the moment so will give the Pilot 3's a go I think when the time comes.
Cheers Pete

I'm currently running Goodyear Efficient Grips on 16" rims. The car had 17s on when I bought it, but I've found a switch to 16s has reduced tramlining and made the ride less fidgety. The Goodyears seem to have decent grip, wet or dry.

hi teacake have you got any pics of your wheels and do you know the settings ie. pcd etc. Link to any on ebay might help.

Call me mad but I've been reading up on some Ling Long greenmax, linglong got outside help to design and research them in Germany then they make them cheap cheap back in China.

They have good ratings and beat some bigger names In a Finnish tyre test online.

And in my size they are £50 for 235 35 19

Too good to be true? I don't know.

But I'll need some tyres in the next few months as my new wheels have got winter tyres on.

I've had ling long avoid. Seriously avoid. best of budgets are Jingyu. I'd go for mid range mostly though.

How long to new tyres generally need running in for? Bit damp on the way to work today and had a few scares on some islands.

Should be fairly quick I would imagine as long as inflated correctly. Cheaper tyres usually dont do well in wet condtions. What sort are they?

Michelin Pilot Sports 3's.

Went to Birmingham and back today (80 mile round trip down the A38) and the tyres were brilliant. Straight & true, highly recommend them.

Brilliant news. I was on the A38 today but the other end. I've had to buy some budgets for mine for now. Later I'll get better ones.

drobbins777 said:
hi teacake have you got any pics of your wheels and do you know the settings ie. pcd etc. Link to any on ebay might help.
These are - I think - probably originally off a Civic. They're PCD 5x114.3, ET55, Centre Bore 64.1mm. I've also got some 16" wheels off an old Accord Coupe and a newer set of Accord 16" wheels kicking around here (as well as the original 17s). I am very popular with my wife, as you can imagine. I probably should get rid of at least one set.

p1010371sm.jpg