What's new

Grooved + drilled front discs

123taylor123

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord s 2.4 7th gen
Hi

Fitted some Mtec grooved and drilled fron discs on Friday. And some EBC blackstuff pads.

IMG_1849_zpscbaebb7c.jpg

IMG_1860_zps17d81c6b.jpg

Word of warning getting the old discs off was a t**t. They have 2 little Phillips bolts holding the discs in place which will not come out easy. Went through 10 drill bits getting 1 side done.
then resorted to oxy acetylene to get the other side ones out. still too 2 hours!!

Made a lot of noise for the first few miles due to the black corrosion coating burning off. but had a spin today and can honestly say its a marked improvement.

but I think the discs I took off were well shot so anything would have been an improvement.

next step - twin pot calipers. if anyone has some for sale please message me to discuss!

Chris that looks so good mate.

To build on the two little screws you have to use an impact driver, one hit from an impact driver will remove that screw no problems, I recommend changing them though after as the screw heads can get a little damaged.

How are the breaks now, remember you have to bed them in.

Good info man. This is making its way onto my long term do to list.

Hi
Thanks

Tried impact driver on second side but still wouldn't. Heads just rounded off at first opportunity. Actually used my dremmel on 1 to cut a new pozi head into the screw.
Ended up having to leave the screws out. but the new discs were a nice tight fit so no problem once the wheels were back on.

It was a nightmare. 28deg weather probably didn't help. ha.

Just been taking it easy the last 2 days. but managed to clock up 120 miles so shouldn't be too long until I can test the real stopping power.

The other reason I changed the disc's was due to a bit of brake squeal even after a good service with the old copper slip. nothing more annoying than cruising through town with your window down listening to a noise that you know everyone can hear.

But its completely gone now thank god.

On a side note I am planning on getting some 18" fn2 wheels to go on and painting the calipers........................Lime Green!!
my mates done his gunmetal grey mondeo and it looks great!
Pics to follow on that!

Yes you have about one chance to get it right lol, before it kills the screw head

I can recommend braided hoses , new fluid. They give for very good pedal feel.

I broke a impact driver on those retaining screws, not necessary anyways.

Ps. May have fn2 gt alloys up for sale soon, watch this space