What's new

Hand brake binding

gathor

TA Friends
Reaction score
Car
Tourer
Hi.
Noticed my rear driver wheel got hot the other day and bit smelly so I took it off to see what's there. Couldn't really turn it so removed the caliper (not without struggle) and I could move it but still not freely. I already read Matt's DIY on it and ordered parts to renew caliper boots. It took me some time to remove the disc, just wouldn't let got beyond certain point. One shoe seems a bit stiff, after applying the handbrake it doesn't go back to its position. To rectify it for now I adjusted the shoes. The question is, would completely stripping the handbrake mechanism and giving it a good clean (it looks clean though) be of any help? Or Am I facing new parts for hand brake as well?

Dan

It might be worth completely loosening off the handbrake cable tension by undoing the nut at the back of the handbrake? I had to tighten mine recently and overdid it to begin with! This guide is very useful... http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/1041-accord-handbrake-adjustment/

Thanks, I will take a look. Now just waiting for parts to arrive and let the fun begin!