What's new

Hand brake light

grentuu

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord SE Executive
While driving the other day I noticed there console brake light was on. I thought perhaps I hadn't put the hand brake fully down so checked and the light went out. Sorted... I thought.

Until this morning while driving it came on again. It went off then on then off and stayed off. Any ideas?

I did have an mot 6 weeks ago which needed discs, calipers and pads changed for the rear but all has been fine until now.

Is the first few centimetres of travel quite loose/very light? Usually, one of the rear calipers will seize meaning the cable has slack and so the handbrake pull won't sit fully down and so the light comes on. As you've had new calipers though, I would doubt this is your issue. However, it should still feel firm and not pull too easily.

I would start off by looking at the handbrake mechanism and work my way to the back of the car. First I would check the return spring, then the switch and then finally the cable. It's worth noting that some people may suggest you adjust the cable and while on most cars this could be the solution, on a 6G Accord it's a false economy. All 6G's have a self adjusting handbrake mechanism on the rear calipers with a spindle gear that pushes the inner pads on, and if working correctly will self-adjust over time as the cables naturally stretch. However, adjusting them will make it too tight so when you next pull the handbrake, you will either overstretch the cable or even snap it.

If it was my car and all was well with the brakes, I would just dial the switch back a half turn or so. :D

Its quite tight. It was adjusted by the garage as I noticed a difference when I got it back, it doesn't seem to pull back as far as it did.

They are a very good garage (not main dealer) but I've been using them for years with no issues, always a good job (and a good price)

Thanks for the advice :)

just a tip: first thing to check after handbrake light comes on is brake fluid level. If level is low then light comes on.