What's new

Handbrake cable on my Accord

GAZB

Members
Reaction score
Car
HONDA ACCORD CTDI
I noticed the other day that my drivers rear wheel was binding on the brakes on my 04 Accord CTDI , I took the wheel off and the caliper and thought the piston had seized but luckily enough it wasn't , I found the problem to be the handbrake cable sticking , it would be okay when I was applying the handbrake but it would not release so for the time being I have to either not use the handbrake or if I do I release it manually by moving the handbrake caliper bracket with a spanner , Ive never relaced an handbrake cable before is there anything in the DIY that ive missed , would you replace it with a new cable or have a go first at cleaning it through with some WD40

It is the cable mate my car has disc brakes on the rear , I took the caliper of to inspect it but the piston had not seized it moves back and too easily

Think I had the same problem on my 6th Gen.

The problem wasn't the piston nor the adjuster, but the parking brake lever/arm on the caliper. My car had life in and out of quarries and concrete plants so it was seriously caked in dust, sand, mud and anything else.

The little lever pulled by the cable by the handbrake itself had jammed solid. The coiled spring would not return it to its 'off' position. I put a breaker bar on the center nut and after a serious bit of shoulder action the arm moved. I kept moving it and blasting it penetrating oil and brake cleaner until it finally started moving.

NOTE the lobe 'shape' from the centre nut, about the 1o'clock position. This should be at the 12o'clock position in this pic, the 'lobe' resting on the cable abutment arm
IMG_8545.jpg

This was the new caliper I bought, showing where the lever should be position, particularly the 'lobe', the handbrake off and the spring pulling the lever off.
IMG_8544.jpg

Hope the helps

Andy