What's new

handbrake cable removal from caliper

john_d

Members
Reaction score
Car
Saab 9-5 Aero
how in the name of ******y does it come out?

ive removed the little u clamp thingy and wrongly ***umed it would just pull out - so how do u remove it?

IMAG0583.jpg

IMAG0582.jpg

IMAG0581.jpg

IMAG0015.jpg

Is that the replacement calipers, cable cut I presume? Yeah get rid of that square spring clip thing. The barrel collar is not tapered from memory or threaded, its just stuck with crud and maybe some corrosion.

You need to try and clean around the collar - wire brush and brake cleaner etc, then penetrating oil, then preferably vice grips - you need to grip the b******* like nothing else, even a pair on either side of the metal plate it goes through then an almighty twist.

brakecalipercopy_zps5c8d9dfd.jpg

EDIT

Yeah not threaded for sure, not even tapered.

IMG_8544.jpg

yeah m8 thats the replacement calliper cable i cut, tried to remove it at the scrappies but could so just cut the sod :D

I replaced that caliper as it was seized at the lever arm (the bit the cable pulls on) and I was at it for ages trying to get it out.

This is how a seized one looks

seized_caliper_zpsc56fb281.jpg

Reactions: Ian
Looks a little stubborn that <_< just give connecting end a few taps with the mallet with long socket over the end and it will pop out no problem, I've tackled worse :wacko:

yeah it looks like the 1 in the 1st pic but i cant get this damn thing out, i thought i would just cut with a grinder then grind down flat (bad move), its now flat sotried to punch it our with a screwdriver and hammer, its still freaking solid! :blink:

not got anything like that m8, if im strugling with this how the hell am i going to get the 1 of the car? :blush:

post #2 - vice grips and penetrating oil, or do you mean you don't have them either?

Have you got channel locks/ pipe pliers they'll be useful too.

Should have said that I went through all that grief, hence the pic. I had mallets and chisels trying to bang it out but the grips, oil and an amighty twist was the solution.

i have vice grips and penetrating but not a g-clamp, press,channel locks (whatever they are)

Ahh ok that should do for getting the one off the car.

So this one you have ground down, have you tried Stuarts suggestion of a socket and big hammer? I'm guess the screwdriver is just jamming inside the cable rather then pressing on the collar.

ive ground it flat and the screwdriver just sits on the hole in the middle (where the cable went through)

i haven't tried the socket and mallet (or hammer in my case) as my sockets are in in lockup

Is there still some wire then in the middle or is the wire out and its the collar thats left?

Aye better with a hammer (metal) IMO, if we mean a mallet being made of rubber, hide or wood then sometimes they absorb the shock, but watch the socket doesn't shatter so get some specs on.

The wire has been removed, all that's left is effectively a flat disc that won't budge.

Ahh...sounds like the hammer/socket is the only answer without the option to press it. You could try a blowtorch beforehand, I know it expands the metal but it might also crack any corrosion that's lurking.

It will, as I said I struggled down that path a few years back. You'll be regretting getting that grinder out when you see how easy it is with penetrating oil and the biggest pliers/vice grips you can get your hands on lol. It will still take a mega twist to get it off.

Like you, I was replacing the caliper, now what I had to do was fish the caliper out of the wheel well and outside the chassis - mainly because I couldn't budge it and had to whack it with a hammer until a found the aforementioned technique. My point is if you need to do this, follow the handbrake cable 6inch or so forward into the chassis and you'll see a bolt and clamp that hold the cable to the chassis. You might find it easier to remove this bolt then you can swing the caliper forward and out the wheel well and sit it on the ground in front of you to attack it lol.

I didn't want to destroy the cable and no one on the forums knew if that was threaded or tapered or how it came out. The funny thing is, if you have never seen it jammed you wouldn't believe how jammed it is.

The other funny thing was the other side dropped right out first time. If I had went to that (near)side first I would have seen how I comes out and never struggled on the (off)side lol.

managed to batter it out with a socket :)

for the 1 on the car i cheated a little, i used a hacksaw to cut a 1/4 of the metal holding it in out, then came out no prob, the new 1 fitted easily too

whilst working on the caliper i could smell a smell similar to the smell u get when using a grinder :mellow:

here are some pics of the pads after removal

IMAG0589.jpg

IMAG0588.jpg

IMAG0587.jpg

IMAG0586.jpg

IMAG0585.jpg

IMAG0584.jpg

not sure what those black round bits are but i can crush them by hand

Thats odd, don't know what that could be although looks like bitumen. Probably some form of grease that's not been able to withstand the heat I'd guess.

Were your calipers seizing, is that why you replaced them? Thats the outboard brake pad going on the imprint of that caliper housing marks, which would be tight up against those round deposits whilst on the car.

So is it all working now?

yeah the caliper was seized, the disc was freaking hot, you could smell it when u got out the car

everything is working fine now :)

Nice one John, did you get a look at your slide pins or boots? They might have seen a bit of heat too, unless you replaced the carrier at the same time of course ;-)

Glad you sorted m8y, had the same issue today :p did take some pic's just for you :)

DSC02666_zpse0bbcfea.jpg

Retaining clip removed.

DSC02667_zps97b9d3db.jpg

its out :D

DSC02671_zps9a2edc3f.jpg

7th Gen Saloon caliper fitted very nicely on the 6th Gen Accord, job done ;)