What's new

Handbrake problem

DJSR

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2i CTDI
Hi All, not posted for a while, hope all is well.

Got a problem with the handbrake and i've heard the Handbrake on the 7th gen does cause problems.

I'm having to lift the handbrake very high to hold the car from moving on a hill. I've just put new rear brakes on, so hopefully it will auto adjust, but its been a week now and is still very high.

Anyone know any tips to tighten it?? Even when its fully lowered, it is loose.

Cheers.

Are you a saloon or tourer? (Different handbrake arrangement at the wheel end)

You can take some of the slack out of the cable using the adjuster that's hidden under the armrest cubby. It can be accessed fairly easily from the back seats with the aid of a box spanner or 1/4" drive ratchet and extensions. I'm 99% there's a DIY about somewhere if you have a search.

I have a Saloon. Cheers for the reply.

Cheers Brett, i found it earlier, seems pretty straight forward, will give it a go, thanks.

Give it a go but don't over tighten the handbrake or you might get binding.

OK Mate, will leave it to around 5-6 clicks i think that should be safe. Ask a mate at a garage today and he recommended taking the 2 rear wheels off and adjusting it from there, he says that way you would be adjusting the handbrake to the factory settings.

^ that's correct, the handbrake should first be adjusted on the disc or drum. Ideally, there should never be any reason to adjust the handbrake as in that link in #4, unless one of the cables is stretched but even then the cable should be renewed (if both cables are renewed, then the adjustments on the lever should be backed right off, the adjustments on the disc or drum checked, then the lever adjusted to take up the new cables)

DJSR said:
OK Mate, will leave it to around 5-6 clicks i think that should be safe. Ask a mate at a garage today and he recommended taking the 2 rear wheels off and adjusting it from there, he says that way you would be adjusting the handbrake to the factory settings.
How to do that?
I still don't know this skill :(

I agree with those who say the rear brakes must be properly set before the cables are adjusted.

On my Toyota (which has a similar rear brake arrangement) the handbrake cables must be removed from the calipers, the pads removed and the caliper piston wound all the way in. Then the piston is unwound a little (between 180 and 360 degrees) to align the piston slot for the pad pins and the brakes reassembled back onto the car. The engine is started and the brake pedal pressed firmly 20 times to move the pads up to the disc, then the handbrake cables are re-attached and the handbrake operated firmly 10 times. Finally, if there is excess travel, the cables are tightened.

^ aye, that's how to get everything set to the auto-adjusters.

AFAIK most/all handbrakes built into a disc-brake caliper have auto-adjusters, and the Accord saloon likewise has auto-adjusters.

If the handbrake needs adjusting on the Accord Saloon, maybe the auto-adjusters are partially seized, or the pads badly worn ?

On the Accord Tourer, IIRC the handbrake does not have auto-adjusters as the handbrake is separate in a drum.

Agree with above it's important to slacken cables, wind piston all way in and then out 180degrees or more. if the notch doesn't line up then just wind it all the way in again and some more... So when you wind it out 180 the notches do align. What this does is reset the handbrake mechanism by allowing the internal level to make contact. Remember the piston when handbrake engaged only moves about 1-2mm at most so it's important step.

Also worth checking the lever hasn't seized on the caliper.

the handbrake finally auto adjusted today after 1.5 weeks of replacing the rear pads, but the handbrake is still a little higher, but much better compared to before, might just leave it as it is, down to about 5-7 clicks now.