What's new

Hard to get it gear

hazley

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord
Hi all
Got a 2004 cdti and 2nite for the first time the car is a nitemare to get in gear,Reverse gear beenin the worst.No grinding goes on when tryin to get it in gear.When the car is switched off the gear change is smooth.Please help

It sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging fully - try bleeding the hydraulic system.

cheers,Went out there to do a test.Cant get it in any gear and dont really want to force it in.When i try abit i can feel the car moving or lifting abit from it,Can still change gear when the car it switched off.

Also when was your transmission oil changed and was it genuine Honda oil.

It might harm the gearbox if you try to engage a gear while you have this problem. Have you checked the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder?

It might harm the gearbox if you try to engage a gear while you have this problem. Have you checked the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder?

Is the cylinder in the engine bay?
Iam a noob to this lol

Brett i dont have a clue mate,Only got the car late june and theres no service book to check.
Then get this flushed and changed straight away as this is not an expensive thing to do.If you have no service history also get the car full serviced with all genuine Honda filters and 0w30 oil.

If you have one, look in the manual for instruction. If not...
With the bonnet up it's the smaller of the 2 reservoirs with screw tops bolted to the rear of the engine compartment. Level indicator is on the side - shine a torch through the reservoir to see level clearly (don't have to unscrew top). But if the level is low enough to have caused this problem then it will need flushing through (aka 'bleeding') to get the air out. And I'd be a bit worried as to where the fluid has gone!

Then get this flushed and changed straight away as this is not an expensive thing to do.If you have no service history also get the car full serviced with all genuine Honda filters and 0w30 oil.

Will get it up to the garage 2morrow morning,just thinking on how iam going to get it up.

If you have one, look in the manual for instruction. If not...
With the bonnet up it's the smaller of the 2 reservoirs with screw tops bolted to the rear of the engine compartment. Level indicator is on the side - shine a torch through the reservoir to see level clearly (don't have to unscrew top). But if the level is low enough to have caused this problem then it will need flushing through (aka 'bleeding') to get the air out. And I'd be a bit worried as to where the fluid has gone!

Checked it and it is full

Would i need to adjust anything around the petal?
The only thing worth checking around the clutch pedal is the cruse control switch and that this is set correct.Have a look at clutch slip this will tell you all about it.

Good luck at the garage. I think it's most likely a clutch cylinder failure, which isn't too bad to have fixed. But, if you're unlucky, then it could well be the clutch asembly that's failed... if so then there are many options for replacement (especially if remapping is of interest to you), so check out CG Motorsports site for details of uprated clutches and/or SMF options.

This sounds like the same systems as mine unfortuntly was clutch & DMF for me fingers crossed mate

Hi guys,sorry about the late update on the motor.
Turned out the *** before me put the clutch in the wrong way around.Ended up getting a new clutch and fly wheel, Car is back on the road and drives like a dream again.