What's new

Have I got bose?

JakeWhite

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.0 Vtec '99
So I've got a bit of a crackling sound coming from one of the speakers when the volume is turned up (the crackling happens at the 'peak' of a bass note if that makes sense?) and I was wondering, how do I tell if I have a bose sound system? I currently have an aftermarket pioneer headunit (original unit was not in the car when i bought it) and wanted to know if I had the bose sub etc so i can see if it's still running etc. The rear of the car seems to produce more bass than normal speakers but not sure whether this is a sub or just half decent speakers, in the boot (underneath the parcel shelf) I can see the two speakers and a black box in the middle-ish? Any guidance is appreciated :) I have a '99 SE 2.0

You could have a look under the passenger seat to see if you have a black amplifier which would indicate that you have a bose sound system, however I'm not really sure of the positioning of the bose sub in the hatchback versions

In the hatchback if you have a Bose system there will be a big Bose speaker on the drivers side of the boot

And the HU should say BOSE on it, or one of the speaker covers will.

Amp under seat, sub in boot, and the word BOSE written somewhere on the system :lol: Have a check for these dude :)

Here's what the Bose head unit looks like mate

F30CFAE6-4AC7-4B79-A111-6EC4AB8E1210-4365-00000DDFBEBEEF45.jpg

I'm stripping the car in this photo so missing trim but you can see the head unit clearly :)

The Bose that has the tape player in it has BOSE written on the tape flap....hehehe, i said flap and it legitimate :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guys, op says he has an aftermarket head unit so he won't really be able to check whether it says bose on it :p
Anyway, I'm pretty sure that most ES's came with the bose system anyway

Thanks for the replies guys, it would seem I have a standard system, it just seems odd as the rear speakers in the (parcel shelf?, not sure what you call it on a 4 door saloon) sound really good and put out a fair amount of bass. Anyways the front door speakers are shot, so looking to replace them, any recommendations?

Can you see any branding on the rear speakers if you look through the grilles? If somebody has changed the headunit then they may well have swapped out speakers for uprated ones too.

As for speakers, I usually use Alpine as they're alright for the price you pay. I kitted my Golf out with them along with an Alpine headunit and it sounds pretty good for what I paid. I wanted something with more bass in my Prelude, so I've gone for Fli speakers as they sounded pretty good at the shop. I've had some Vibe speakers too which were excellent, they were £200 6x9's though. I guess it all depends on what you want to spend :) might be worth going to a car audio shop so you can test a load of speakers out and see what you like.

I think Simon is pretty clued up on car audio, so he may be able to recommend something perfect for the Accord :)

4-way Pioneers. Easy. I have fitted them into every car i've ever put a system in and they are great. you'll want 4 way 13.5cm speakers,

4-way Pioneers. Easy. I have fitted them into every car i've ever put a system in and they are great. you'll want 4 way 13.5cm speakers,
Cheers mate, I will look into them. Do sound systems tend to sound better when it's all the same brand or is it mostly the case of pick n mix to find a decent setup? It's a shame that I sold all my vibe (black air) stuff with my beemer :(

It depends on budget if i'm honest. Teh pioneer stuff is middle of the road, but that's what i've got in both my ATR and my Impreza. I honestly stand by them and the perfarmance of them is great. Even when running of a HU that has 4x50w as the output. The clarity is great. I can blast either my metal or my Vivaldi at stupid volumes, and my ears give up before the speakers do.

Pioneer runs rings round Vibe stuff everyday off the week, unless you're talking subs, the IMO it's Xplod stuff all the way....unless you're gonna spend silly money on it :D

Hi where can I find the factory amplifier in my 2000 Accord SE Executive? It's fitted with Bose system... I didn't find it..

Hi where can I find the factory amplifier in my 2000 Accord SE Executive? It's fitted with Bose system... I didn't find it..
From memory and if yours is a saloon I think it's in the boot under the parcel shelf.
I'm sure someone can confirm that for me.

It depends on budget if i'm honest. Teh pioneer stuff is middle of the road, but that's what i've got in both my ATR and my Impreza. I honestly stand by them and the perfarmance of them is great. Even when running of a HU that has 4x50w as the output. The clarity is great. I can blast either my metal or my Vivaldi at stupid volumes, and my ears give up before the speakers do.

Pioneer runs rings round Vibe stuff everyday off the week, unless you're talking subs, the IMO it's Xplod stuff all the way....unless you're gonna spend silly money on it :D

Cheers mate, when I had my first car (corsa c, 1.0 of pure power!) I had a sendai hedunit in it, and somehow it stuck with me until I got the accord! Swapping to a pioneer HU I noticed the difference instantly, I like the look of the kenwood and alpine HU's but to be honest I'm not a massive audio wizard and prefer to spend my money on performance mods. In saying that I am starting to see the beauty of better sound system :). Slightly off topic, but how much of a ball ache would it be to push the 2.0 engine to 200bhp (or thereabouts)? I know I could do an ATR conversion or just buy an ATR, but that's no fun to me.

Thanks the answer, but my is a 5 doors hatchback. I try to follow the wires, and they are going between the front seats... :(
From memory and if yours is a saloon I think it's in the boot under the parcel shelf.
I'm sure someone can confirm that for me.

Cheers mate, when I had my first car (corsa c, 1.0 of pure power!) I had a sendai hedunit in it, and somehow it stuck with me until I got the accord! Swapping to a pioneer HU I noticed the difference instantly, I like the look of the kenwood and alpine HU's but to be honest I'm not a massive audio wizard and prefer to spend my money on performance mods. In saying that I am starting to see the beauty of better sound system :). Slightly off topic, but how much of a ball ache would it be to push the 2.0 engine to 200bhp (or thereabouts)? I know I could do an ATR conversion or just buy an ATR, but that's no fun to me.
It would be impossible without a HUUUUUUUGE budget from what i've discovered
These engines don't really have a huge aftermarket scene and you'd need mods like new intake and exhausts as well as maybe different cams and then valves and stuff which is just too much effort to spend on an engine that is geared more towards economy in the first place, i'd say if you really wanted performance and comfort the H22 swap would be for you although it's not really been done alone by many people apart from Josh here
If not, then the ATR is the way to go

This is where I should probably add that the H22A swap is a ball ache if you do what I did and choose the older JDM block- for simplicity I'd recommend going for something like the H22A5 which is near enough plug and play engine loom wise as it came from a UKDM OBDII car. I'm having to splice together the looms of two cars for my engine swap, along with wrestling countless other little compatibility problems!!

I'm going to swallow my pride and say the sensible choice for more power is to buy an Accord Type-R :lol:

To be fair on the Accord though, 147 BHP isn't too shabby for a 2 litre SOHC in my opinion. I never had any trouble overtaking in mine! :D

This is where I should probably add that the H22A swap is a ball ache if you do what I did and choose the older JDM block- for simplicity I'd recommend going for something like the H22A5 which is near enough plug and play engine loom wise as it came from a UKDM OBDII car. I'm having to splice together the looms of two cars for my engine swap, along with wrestling countless other little compatibility problems!!

I'm going to swallow my pride and say the sensible choice for more power is to buy an Accord Type-R :lol:

To be fair on the Accord though, 147 BHP isn't too shabby for a 2 litre SOHC in my opinion. I never had any trouble overtaking in mine! :D

Yeah that's true, I think I've just gotta break away from the small nippy hatches! It is lively don't get me wrong, but I get bored quite quickly with the power of cars. I think I may just stick with the 2.0 and do a few small bits such as the induction and possibly a nice stainless exhaust (any help on where to find one without going custom would really help! Not fussed on bhp gains so doesn't need to be super expensive!), lower it on some nice alloys and do some more tinkering. The trouble is (as others have said) there doesn't seem to be much mods (visual or performance wise) for the accord. Unlike it's cousin, the civic, which has millions lol!

Slightly off topic, but how much of a ball ache would it be to push the 2.0 engine to 200bhp (or thereabouts)? I know I could do an ATR conversion or just buy an ATR, but that's no fun to me.

The short answer is between 4 and 7 thousand pounds. Forced induction is the only way to get that power from a F20. Also, just to put it to rest, the F20 has 143bhp.

I looked into this a lot when i had my F20B6 Accord, the list goes something like this:
1 - Turbo
2 - Custom piping
3 - Head work
4 - Radiator
5 - Chasis work
6 - Brakes
7 - ECU and full map
8 - Rings
9 - Head studs
10 - Liners
11 - Pistons
12 - Bottom end

There are a few more too, but think that's enough of a reason not to do it. I was really serious about doing this and had the money saved to do it, but in the end, i sold the SE and bought the ATR. Much easier. People argue when i say this that the insurance will be too much, but you could insure an ATR for at least 2 years with the money you'd spend on FI to your F20.

But when you get your ATR, you want to make it "awesomer" so you'll end up spending a tonne of money on it anyway
As proved by your sig :p

But when you get your ATR, you want to make it "awesomer" so you'll end up spending a tonne of money on it anyway
This is true! I think I may just save my money until I'm 25 and buy something turbo with the power I want as standard. Always loved r34's and S15's! The annoying thing is, is that when I'm 25, an R34 is cheaper to insure than what I pay on my accord now :(

hahahaha, yup. Nearing 10K now. Never mind, she's still my baby. K+N Tyhoon will be here next week for her B)

With regard to FI, i've also got an import 555 STi (286 bhp.......at the moment lol) and can honestly say that yes the Scoob is VERY fast, and would pi55 all over my ATR everyday off the week, but there's just something about the ATR that means i have to drive it :blush: The ATR is more fun to drive, especially as you feel like you earnt the speed as your gear changes have to be spot on to keep her in Vtec.

P.S I love my ATR.

hahahaha, yup. Nearing 10K now. Never mind, she's still my baby. K+N Tyhoon will be here next week for her B)

With regard to FI, i've also got an import 555 STi (286 bhp.......at the moment lol) and can honestly say that yes the Scoob is VERY fast, and would pi55 all over my ATR everyday off the week, but there's just something about the ATR that means i have to drive it :blush: The ATR is more fun to drive, especially as you feel like you earnt the speed as your gear changes have to be spot on to keep her in Vtec.

P.S I love my ATR.
I stumbled across an AE111 Corolla levin yesterday, 1.6 20V, RWD, TB's as standard. Sexy looking car and looks like it could be alot of fun from a relatively small engine. Ahhh there's sooo many cars to try but not enough time :(

I stumbled across an AE111 Corolla levin yesterday, 1.6 20V, RWD, TB's as standard. Sexy looking car and looks like it could be alot of fun from a relatively small engine. Ahhh there's sooo many cars to try but not enough time :(

To be honest, you could think of these cars as investments, things like the R34 and The AE11 are starting to appreciate even further in price, you can get a decent levin for around 7k, enjoy it for a year, sell it on and make a profit B) then move onto the R34 and so on

To be honest, you could think of these cars as investments, things like the R34 and The AE11 are starting to appreciate even further in price, you can get a decent levin for around 7k, enjoy it for a year, sell it on and make a profit B) then move onto the R34 and so on

Very true. Well for the moment it looks like I will be hanging on to the accord. So, where can I get:
-A decent induction kit, been looking for a typhoon but can't seem to find one for my model? What other model typhoons would fit my accord? (2.0)
-Stainless exhaust, doesn't have to be anything super-high performance, just stainless lol! Again, same as above, what other model accord exhausts would fit mine as I'm having trouble finding a setup without going custom.
-Lowering springs, I would get coilovers if I can find a set that are cheaper than a mortgage lol!
-Any other nice mods that could make it look a bit different?

I didn't find my amp... Under the passanger seat I found the EQ... Could somebody tell me where can I find the amp? This is an Accord 2.0 SE Executive hatchback 2000. 5 doors.

Apparently it's behind the trim in the boot that the sub is housed in, maybe somebody could confirm this? If not I'll have a look this eve

Very true. Well for the moment it looks like I will be hanging on to the accord. So, where can I get:
-A decent induction kit, been looking for a typhoon but can't seem to find one for my model? What other model typhoons would fit my accord? (2.0)
-Stainless exhaust, doesn't have to be anything super-high performance, just stainless lol! Again, same as above, what other model accord exhausts would fit mine as I'm having trouble finding a setup without going custom.
-Lowering springs, I would get coilovers if I can find a set that are cheaper than a mortgage lol!
-Any other nice mods that could make it look a bit different?
You could find a car with the factory lip kit which looks slightly ATR-ish and bolt on a set of *SUBTLE* wheels (please)
I've been looking for exhausts for the F20b but they don't really seem to exist so I think going custom is the only way on that front
Andy @ vtec direct sells coilies for £600 iirc