What's new

Headlight bulbs

Busted

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord I-CDTI Estate
I think we all agree that the 7th gens headlights are rubbish! I don't want to go down the hid route, so what bulbs do you use for your dipped and full beam and why?

I had hids dont rate the set i had way too low, rubbish vision and look chavvy in my opinion. I now have osram night breaker plus they are much better for vision but not really much different looking from the oem ones. If you want the hid look go for phillips ones blue vision i think there called and there meant to be really good.

Osram night breakers were always my first choice. Otherwise Ring are good, they have a Xenon one which I've never tried.

I'm on Night Breakers too.
No complaints, and can be had relatively cheaply if you shop around.
Just don't expect 90% more light -I'd say 20% at best, but still better than standard bulbs.
No hassle to fit, and road legal.

i have HID in mine, cheap set from ebay cost 35 delivered.
best mods i have done to impove night vision.

I think we all agree that the 7th gens headlights are rubbish! I don't want to go down the hid route, so what bulbs do you use for your dipped and full beam and why?

Couldn't have started this at a better time! :D Just discovered my main beam has a bulb blown! Still undecided on going for the HID kit for main beams?! Is there an install guide anywhere as its a bit different from the dipped beams?

I wouldn't put HIDs in main beam. Mine take about 5 seconds to get up to brightness, plus they draw a huge amount from the battery on 'boot up' so not a good idea to keep flashing them.

I have Phillips e-treme in the main beam. Had them in the dip headlight as well, till they as usually happens with aftermarket bulbs, blew early after 9mths. Then tried Osram Nightbreakers. They were fairly good, but they blew after about 11mths. Have now fitted Halfords Ultra Brilliance bulbs in the dip headlights.They are meant to give you 120% more light, or so it says on the box. I have found them to be very good, at least as good as the Osrams, maybe slightly better. Lets see how long they last. At the moment, 6mths and counting. So with the Phillips still in the main beam and the Halford bulbs in the dipped headlight, I can see fairly well at low beam and very well on main. As they say, HIDs give you far better light on dip, just don't really want to go down that route myself. From what I have heard with the new MOT test, HIDs "might" be a problem in the future on my 7th gen accord anyway.

4 months in, one of my Night Breakers has just popped :-(

nothing wrong with my gen7 headlights. not many streetlamps in the fields where i live :)

Is this true? Is it true of the facelift model? I think my headlights are pretty good and better than my old SAAB 95.

Covered 150000 miles in a 7th gen accord in 4 years.nothing wrong with the headlights in my opinion.it used to blow alot of bulbs though!

Mine is a 57 so facelift and they are probably the worst I have had, and I've had at least 15 cars. I'm sure some decent bulbs will help though!!

Mine is a 57 so facelift and they are probably the worst I have had, and I've had at least 15 cars. I'm sure some decent bulbs will help though!!

iv had my faclift for just over a year now,and twice headlight bulbs have been replaced...now iv got the rear break light..lol

My facelift brightness is adequate, but I would say the beam pattern isn't the greatest. It's almost as if the lights need adjusting upwards slightly as the dipped beam isn't quite high enough especially when going down hill on unlit roads.

I have Osram Nightbreaker Plus and they are as good as i have ever seen for standard bulbs, don't know if there is any difference between them and the standard nightbreakers, but you can get them for about £14 a pair from the internet ;-)
I have put them in the dipped and main and you often get blinded by road signs on full beam!!

i sell the Osram night breakers and use them to and there very good quality and they make a suprising difference over your cheap bulbs there a bit pricey but worth it and theyve just released a newer version which lasts longer the beam is more direct and concentrate hope this helps

After reading this forum I was persuaded to try HIDs. I was pretty sceptical but as I do a lot of night driving on unlit A roads, & the stock units are *****, I thought it worth a try. To quote an old thread, the difference between stock & HIDs is 'night & day'.
I really dont see the point in messing round with expensive bulbs when HIDs are such an improvement for so little cash. Ive been modding cars for 20 odd years now and I have to say, £ for £, HIDs are the easily the best mod you can make to any car.
Yes they are fiddly to fit, but a couple of hours on a dry day and youre done. And ignore that all that nonsense about removing the bumper. Unless you really want to hide the ballasts & wiring for a clean under bonnet look, just tape the ballasts under the lights with double sided tape & job done. Lets face it, youve got a Honda. They are reliable cars, so you hopefully will never have to have to look under the bonnet & see your aftermarket ballasts!

the difference between stock & HIDs is 'night & day'.
I had to park my father in laws Focus the other day, I've only had HIDs in for a month but was amazed at the lack of light coming off his filament bulbs. I always said I'd never get HIDs but now I'm converted.

im really confused now...!!! :( i really wanted to change the dipped beams in my 7 gen facelift,firstly i though hids(but unfortunetly i do NOT have the self leveling or headlight washers...so will fail mot :( )and now looking for bulbs there doesnt seem to be one that lasts more than 12months even though they may cost £15..also is the 100x xenon white bulbs road legal??? also have heard horror stories that they get so hot they can melt the wiring or plastic lenses :( ,can somebody shed some light???

Mate I have the same problem my 8th gen don't have washers so I'm waiting to see what happens.
James has out hids in his but not sure what will happen on the mot.
Just hold tight bro and see what happens with the mot thing

Mate I have the same problem my 8th gen don't have washers so I'm waiting to see what happens.
James has out hids in his but not sure what will happen on the mot.
Just hold tight bro and see what happens with the mot thing
guess your right bro,man i need to get some new bulbs as one has blown already :( D**M things ,and im really funny when it comes to being legal about things, dont want to be driving a vehicle around which is not road worthy...

Just get a cheap bulb for now, it's summer coming up so much less use of headlights for the next 6 months anyway.

i agree with when they say oem bulbs are shockingly bad for such a big expensive car,, ive tried nightbreakers and they are very good,,until they blow. Lasted 4 months maximum before blowing, Ive put original bulbs back in for the summer, but seriously thinking about going down the hid route now, cant have another winter like that.

anyone recommend any hid kits ?

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/9106-hid-kits/

as if they knew that I'd been writing about them ,,bulbs went again today,, s****e

My O/S dipped headlamp appeared to have dimmed and I replaced the bulb - closer inspection when changing the bulb showed the domed lens has a crack straight through it. After installing the new bulb it's still dim but if you look at the headlight from a different angle it appears brighter so it may be an alignment issue which i've encountered before (and spent ages making sure the bulb is properly seated). Is the crack sufficient to cause the headlight to dim - or could it be a bulb alignment issue - or a combination of both? I fitted the new bulb in the dark soi'll try and look at in daylight.

I'm guessing it's gonna be a right pigs ear (and probably quite costly) to get this cracked lens changed?

Is the crack sufficient to cause the headlight to dim - or could it be a bulb alignment issue - or a combination of both? I fitted the new bulb in the dark soi'll try and look at in daylight.

I'm guessing it's gonna be a right pigs ear (and probably quite costly) to get this cracked lens changed?

The crack could change the scatter pattern and make it less effective yes, it all depends in the crack.

Replacing the lens isn't really worth it alone as you'd have to separate the headlight, replace the lens, re-seal. You'd be better getting a new complete unit from a scrapyard.