What's new

Headlight Issue

kasheeq8

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 Ex Diesel
The passenger side headlight (h1) blew yesterday. I went to my local Halfords to pick up the bulb and get my local garage to replace the faulty one.

The halford lad offered to replace it which I lazily accepted. There is a small charge for the work involved of course. Even after replacing, the light did not turn on and the boy was quick to blame faulty wiring. He said the old bulb had blown out and needed replacing.I knew I should have stuck to plan A...

Say it is a wiring issue, can my local garage help me with this or Honda dealership is the best place?

I intend to visit my local trusted garage to reseat the same bulb.

I suggest that it would be quicker and cheaper for you to replace the lamp yourself instead of trusting people who may not have a clue about what they're doing (e.g. Halfrauds)? I'm guessing the new lamp was faulty or he didn't fit the spade connecter properly - there's a how-to guide on the site and it isn't a really difficult job!

Much cheaper to buy normal H1s from Amazon, btw.

Then, if it doesn't work, get further advice about what could be wrong.... the most likely fault would be a blown fuse.

I know Jon, it was evening time and I rushed myself to get the light replaced. My local trusted garage would have done it for free as I know the guy v well. But they were closed at that time.

I am going to pre-order some H1 from Amazon as stock. Dont have my own garage space and park on the main street, wish I could do more diy. I used to change the bulbs myself on my 98 accord model, that was easier :)

Is it easy to check a potential blown fuse?

I know Jon, it was evening time and I rushed myself to get the light replaced. My local trusted garage would have done it for free as I know the guy v well. But they were closed at that time.

I am going to pre-order some H1 from Amazon as stock. Dont have my own garage space and park on the main street, wish I could do more diy. I used to change the bulbs myself on my 98 accord model, that was easier :)

Is it easy to check a potential blown fuse?
Oh well, if they'll do it for free then that makes good sense! Good idea to have a couple of cheap spares available though.

The fusebox does have a guide to the fuse locations - so, for example, you could swap fuses to see if the dead circuit then also swaps places and so your headlight then works. But make sure you swap fuses of the rating (e.g. 10A or 15A, etc, which are also usually colour-coded). It isn't unknown for a blown lamp to also take out the fuse. But then you'll need a new fuse (there may be unused spares in your fusebox, I have some in mine).

Oh well, if they'll do it for free then that makes good sense! Good idea to have a couple of cheap spares available though.

The fusebox does have a guide to the fuse locations - so, for example, you could swap fuses to see if the dead circuit then also swaps places and so your headlight then works. But make sure you swap fuses of the rating (e.g. 10A or 15A, etc, which are also usually colour-coded). It isn't unknown for a blown lamp to also take out the fuse. But then you'll need a new fuse (there may be unused spares in your fusebox, I have some in mine).

Thanks Jon, where is the fusebox on the 2006 model?

Edit:

Ok I went down to the office car park and checked myself. The fusebox is on the bottom RHS. Not easy to pull out the fuses, either I need steel nails or an appropriate tool.

One question Jon, if the headlight fuse is gone...it would also affect the near side headlight too, right? It's only the passenger side headlight which isnt working.

I believe the headlamps have there own fuse each so one could blow and one still fine. There should be a little tool in the fuse box to pull the fuses out as well as some spare fuses.

I believe the headlamps have there own fuse each so one could blow and one still fine. There should be a little tool in the fuse box to pull the fuses out as well as some spare fuses.

Thanks Shabz, will pay a bit more attention and look out for this.

The headlight fuse is missing...lol

But then how can the other one work?

Number 3 slot is where the headlight fuse goes...according to the fusebox legend map behind the cover. It also uses a 15A fuse, another 2 use the same fuse. I tried the swapping tactic...it didnt work. I am sure i inserted it properly.

Still amazed that its missing :)

How did the lights work for such a long period of time?

It was a fuse my local garage guy replaced it for free.

Question: did the replaced bulb blow too?

Kash sorry but did you mean there was no fuse at all and when one was fitted all was ok.

I have found a headlight issue myself - in fact when driving home last night!

OK so both headlights NOT working - side lights are fine, and full beam fine. All fuses 'seem' fine so looking for a little help please i.e I've not texted them but visually look intact?

The dashboard light doesn't come on (I'm not too sure if it still should) so I'm thinking possibly relay or switch as apposed to the bulbs being blown (these too look fine) - is this common? Am I best to just drop into garage?

I can of course change the bulbs but rather not if these are not the source of the issue.