What's new

Headlight issue

Nathylad

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 Accord Sport
Put the car in for an MOT today failed on headlight not being bright enough.

The nearside light is fine so I changed the offside light and I still have the same problem, not as bright as the nearside.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.

Is the bulb in upside down? This is easy to do with an H1, but I'm not sure what you have. Or maybe the reflector is knackered?

The bulb looks like it can only go in one way unless I'm mistaken.

If the reflector is knackered, a replacement unit is needed I guess?

It's worth checking that there is a good earth connection between the headlight unit and the bodywork. You could check if the earth is poor by rigging up a temporary earth lead or even using a jump lead from the negative terminal of the battery to the negative connection on the light unit. If the earth is the problem you should find that your headlamp becomes brighter with the temporary earth connected. If this solves the problem you need to find the earth lead, remove it, clean up the terminals at both ends and scrape a bit of paint off where it connects to the body, then re-attach it with a smear of copper grease or similar.

I've checked the earth for the headlight, gave the metal a rub down but it's still not at full power so to speak.

Ill check with a jump lead next though.

If running a direct feed from the earth terminal doesn't rectify the problem, you could try running a direct feed from the positive terminal of the battery to the positive on the headlamp. If this results in the light working at full power it would mean that there could be a problem with a connector block or a connection in the fuse box.

How did you get on with this?
When I first got my type r my mot tester had an issue with my "headlight condition"
After i'd put some phillips blue vision bulbs in,then wet flatted the lens and used plastrx with a buffer to polish the lens.....took it back and he asked where id got the new headlights so quickly ;-)

In the end I changed the bulbs and they were fine. Not sure if I bought a dodgy bulb in the first place but its fine now.

I must say I was quite chuffed with the job I did on polishing the lenses, pity I didn't do before and after shots. Someone's done a write up though on here for 6th Gen lenses.