What's new

Headlight issue

Paul S

Members
Reaction score
Car
CL9 type S
I know this has been asked before sorry, I didnt get any joy on other thread.

Ive had the car since oct 15 and ive been through 3 sets of dipped headlight bulbs, all was working when I had the car for about a week then the left one went, replaced with spare, then right one went a few days later.
Replaced both with some cheap ones from ebay, they done the same thing.
Thought this was due to cheap bulbs so bought some nice GP thunder rainbow gold 2500k £16, (they looked good) they lasted about a week! Gutted.
So ive just been using the spots for now which have been fine from start, along with all other lights.
The only weird thing on car is interferance from rear window de mister to the radio when turned on.
Really wanna find what this problem is.

Are you touching the glass as you fit them? Salts from your skin create localised hotspots that quickly burn the filament out.
If you are careful fitting them then it could be a voltage spike causing this issue, probably best to get an Auto electrician to test the system to see whether it is spiking.
Also you could try longlife bulbs from a reputable manufacturer, Osram, Philips or Sylvania.

Yes I am always careful not to touch them.
The bulbs I got second time round were high quality.
All of them had blackend burnt glass and metal after blowing.
I have thought about voltage regulator on the altinater but if it was this would it affect other systems too?
The only other thing I can think of is the relay, could this cause burn out if not switching properly?
Thanks for the reply anyway bounder.

This does sound very strange, ther than the 3 possibilities so far, the only other idea I can think of is a lot of moisture getting contaminants onto the glass of the bulb

My light units are very clouded over, but I ***umed this was down to age and sun exposure, its a 54 plate, then again the accord I had before (04 plate) had spotless units.
But the black lids that screw on the back are like new on the inside.
Probably get an electrician to test it.
I do have an HID kit ready to fit from a while back, wonder if they'll have issues too?
Cheers for the input

Just a little update, I installed yet another set of dipped beam bulbs, used ones I had spare from my previous accord.
This is the longest ive ever had a set last in this car (still going), the difference? I havent touched the rear screen heater at all while the headlights are on, as said in previous post this interfers with the radio too, just fuzz when its on, looks like this is the reason.
Must be a bad earth going through other systems including radio and headlights maybe??