What's new

Headlight outer surfac & foglamp condensation/corosion

Hengist

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 Accord 2.0 Exec
OK - quick question.

Do the headlights have any kind of protective film on them? The Mrs reported that, driving in the dark, she could hardly see where she was going without full beam on.

The outer surface of the ligths seems to be pretty scabby with pitting, etc, so I thought I'd get in about with some fine grade wet'n'dry, rubbing compound, whatever.

What I wouldn't want to do is just rub off part of any protective film. If there's a film, the lot would have to come off and be re-done.

Also - foglamps. Ours seem to have a nice pile of coroded stuff inside. They both work, but it looks like the seal must've gone. They have even worse condensation than the healdights. Is it easy enough to remove the foglamps to dry out and re-seal with my ubiquitous tube of silicone? Have to go in from under the bumper, I'm guessing?

Thanks for any help (and yeah, I've seen many threads on condensation etc - but none seem to mention whether there's film on the lights from new!)

this will sort your headlights. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-Headlight-Restoration-Kit-Restoration-Kit-for-Hazy-Headlights-/181164375995?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item2a2e3cffbb

Yes there is a UV protective film which is why it is important to use a sealant after polishing. The kit i linked to above has everything you need. It also uses polishing pads you can attach to a cordless drill so you don't need to own a rotary polisher or break your back doing it by hand.

Fog's i would just replace with new items.

Also upgrade your main beam bulbs with halfords super brilliance/Philips extreme/Osram knight breakers or just fit a HID kit for the best results. any of these options will give a significant improvement. HID kit is what i did to mine and was worth every penny. And was actually cheaper than new bulbs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xenon-HID-Conversion-Kit-H7-Slim-Ballast-6000k-2-Years-Warranty-8-/331049076499?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d14100713

Well, canna get any more comprehensive than that! Many thanks.

Restoration kit ordered off eBay.

One thing - That HID conversion kit. When you say "main beam", do you mean dipped? That's not going to produce excessive heat in the standard headlamp unit or anything?

crespo this hid kit which link have you put is plug&play on honda accord 03-07?
this hid kit is for the headlights low/short beam light?

crespo this hid kit which link have you put is plug&play on honda accord 03-07?
this hid kit is for the headlights low/short beam light?

also where have you put/fit the balast from the kit?
now in the headlights isn't a H1 bulb? so the link given by you which has h7 could replace the h1?
does this hids pass mot?
cheers

5000k or 6000k?
it's ok, safe to put the ballast inside the beam light case or not?
i saw it has enough space but it's safe to stay there?
i have not seen any wires getting out from the beam light case from where you normally replace the the light bulb!
maybe somebody could answer...

I don't know if that's the right kit or not, I thought it was H1. Someone else will know.
It will pass the MOT.
Recommend 5000k or lower personally.
Ballast on mine is on the 'shelf' of bodywork under the headlight housing, the wires come through a hole we made in the round screw on bit - with a rubber grommet to stop water getting in. I wouldn't fancy putting it in the housing itself! Some people have drilled holes in the bottom of it for the wires to come out so it's not as noticeable under the bonnet.