What's new

headlight screw caps

spudowen

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord cdti
Does anybody know where I can get the big screw on plastic caps which go on the back of the headlights?
Theres to codes written on them but I dont think they relate to anything;
code 1: Stanley 4404199500
code 2: honda >pp-td30<

I just want 2 new caps, so I can do a HID install and still have new caps to put on if required.

any help appreciated

cheers Mark

Give our affiliated Honda dealer a call Holdcroft honda

I suggest you try a breakers.

PS - if you simply shoehorn HIDs into a halogen housing you'll cause dazzle to oncoming traffic, rendering your car unroadworthy.

I suggest you try a breakers.

PS - if you simply shoehorn HIDs into a halogen housing you'll cause dazzle to oncoming traffic, rendering your car unroadworthy.

point noted, but it doesnt seem to stop half of the gen 7's on this forum?

I had them installed for about 4 years and was never flashed once nor was I pulled up at MOT time in those 4 years

I had them installed for about 4 years and was never flashed once nor was I pulled up at MOT time in those 4 years
Maybe, but that doesn't make it legal though! There's a loophole in the MoT that results in cars fitted with HIDs still getting passes, but hopefully it'll be closed soon.

I'm sick of being dazzled - I DO often flash oncoming vehicles that dazzle me. And I'm really not sure what the benefit is to the owner of any vehicle to have bright, but badly focused, dipped beams.

Maybe, but that doesn't make it legal though! There's a loophole in the MoT that results in cars fitted with HIDs still getting passes, but hopefully it'll be closed soon.

I'm sick of being dazzled - I DO often flash oncoming vehicles that dazzle me. And I'm really not sure what the benefit is to the owner of any vehicle to have bright, but badly focused, dipped beams.

here here, should be banned.

I think TA should be discouraging illegal modifications... but the exact opposite seems to be happening! At least members fitting HIDs should be made aware of the legal issues and potential nuisance problems.

(Puts on helmet and waits for incoming...)

It's a personal choise with after market hids
If your car has projectile lenses They do not dazzle.

THAT DEPENDS ON WERE YOU ARE SITTING! behind them is good, in front and towards aint funny, especially on unlit country roads.
As brett as mentioned projectile lenses are nothing to worry about and are very legal to hids fitted (as mentioned by m.o.t inspector as my last mot last month) is the old school cars running around with them blinding you...trust me I should know as my car is low by 60mm alk round and getting hit in the eyes on the motor way is not funny as well as people driving around withh full beams on :( ...

It's a personal choise with after market hids
If your car has projectile lenses They do not dazzle.
I don't think you're actually suggesting that compliance with the Road Traffic Act is a personal choice?

What are "projectile lenses" and how can I tell if any of my cars has them?

Jon_G before you embark on your moral crusade, retrofitting HID's doesn't automatically mean they will cause dazzle to oncoming drivers. It's the fact that the headlight is badly focused. This issue isn't just limited to after market HID's it's caused by every car on the road no matter what type of bulb they use which isn't maintained properly. This is a problem which most only get checked and rectified when they have the alignment checked during an MOT as most don't think to have it checked.

One of my pet hates is misaligned headlights or people with blown headlight bulbs. So I make sure that mine are always in good working order. I have after market HID's fitted and make sure they are properly aligned. I have never been flashed by oncoming drivers and after having 3 MOT tests having them fitted has never once been an issue.

Also this MOT loophole you mention doesn't allow HID's to be retrofitted into vehicles which weren't originally equipped with them, in contrary to the law. It is perfectly legal to fit after market HID's to a vehicle. The MOT test states that if a vehicle is fitted with lights which exceed a specified brightness, which HID's and LED's do, either as original equipment or as an after market extra, the car must also be fitted with headlight washers and self levelling devices. As both these types of lights are brighter they have a greater chance of dazzling oncoming drives. These 2 devices help to reduce and possible dazzle to oncoming drivers. The loophole which you mention is surrounding the checking of these 2 devices. While it is possible to visually check if a vehicle is fitted with headlight washers it is not possible to check if a car is fitted with auto levelling devices without physically lifting one end of the car to check the operation of the levelling device. This is outside the testers remit so the benefit of the doubt has to be given that the levelling device is fitted. However if the tester see's the manual headlight adjuster on the dashboard, indicating the operation is not automatic, they are required to fail the car. But only a very beady eyed tester would see this manual adjuster so it is usually overlooked. This subject has been covered extensively before on many threads.

Jon_G before you embark on your moral crusade, retrofitting HID's doesn't automatically mean they will cause dazzle to oncoming drivers. It's the fact that the headlight is badly focused. This issue isn't just limited to after market HID's it's caused by every car on the road no matter what type of bulb they use which isn't maintained properly. This is a problem which most only get checked and rectified when they have the alignment checked during an MOT as most don't think to have it checked.
Ha, I suppose I could retaliate by accusing you of embarking on an "immoral crusade"? But, in general, I agree with this paragraph. But I believe the point you've overlooked is that the headlight is likely to become badly focused if it is fitted with a bulb that was not originally intended to be fitted to that ***embly (the point of light emission being displaced, so not in the correct focal location would be a potential issue here). Additionally, the focusing arrangements for lamps with a higher light output have to be designed to be more tightly controlled to avoid the brighter 'beam spill' causing a problem.

One of my pet hates is misaligned headlights or people with blown headlight bulbs. So I make sure that mine are always in good working order. I have after market HID's fitted and make sure they are properly aligned. I have never been flashed by oncoming drivers and after having 3 MOT tests having them fitted has never once been an issue.
Not being flashed is not definitive proof that your headlights are not causing a problem to other drivers! Unfortunately, neither is passing 3 MOT tests.

Also this MOT loophole you mention doesn't allow HID's to be retrofitted into vehicles which weren't originally equipped with them, in contrary to the law. It is perfectly legal to fit after market HID's to a vehicle. The MOT test states that if a vehicle is fitted with lights which exceed a specified brightness, which HID's and LED's do, either as original equipment or as an after market extra, the car must also be fitted with headlight washers and self levelling devices. As both these types of lights are brighter they have a greater chance of dazzling oncoming drives. These 2 devices help to reduce and possible dazzle to oncoming drivers. The loophole which you mention is surrounding the checking of these 2 devices. While it is possible to visually check if a vehicle is fitted with headlight washers it is not possible to check if a car is fitted with auto levelling devices without physically lifting one end of the car to check the operation of the levelling device. This is outside the testers remit so the benefit of the doubt has to be given that the levelling device is fitted. However if the tester see's the manual headlight adjuster on the dashboard, indicating the operation is not automatic, they are required to fail the car. But only a very beady eyed tester would see this manual adjuster so it is usually overlooked. This subject has been covered extensively before on many threads.
The 'specified brightness' to which you refer is 2000 lumens. HID lamps that have an output of less than this do not need headlamp levelling or washing (however LED lamps under 2000 Lumens must have self-levelling, but do not need washing). So what you say is correct ONLY IF retro-fitting HIDs with a light output of less than 2000 lumens (and how many retrofitters stay under that limit?). However, it is not possible for an MOT tester to determine whether or not a particular lamp is more than 2000 Lumens. The MOT test therefore uses the lowest criteria that can realistically be applied; so if a particular vehicle is fitted with a headlamp levelling or washing system, then it is considered logical to ***ume that it is required it by law and therefore must work; conversely, if a vehicle is not fitted with these systems, it would be logical to ***ume that they are not legally required. This is actually the MOT 'loophole' to which I referred; you have raised the additional problem for the tester of ***essing whether the levelling device is functioning correctly. Hence vehicles that are unroadworthy due to headlamp modifications may still pass MOT testing... this is obviously an unsatisfactory situation! But that needn't prevent the Police taking action against offenders, which they do. And owners need to be aware of this BEFORE retro-fitting HIDs.

What have i started! i only asked where i could get headlight caps from!!

Like i have said before, thank you for your warnings etc, i was however already aware of the potential problems i may have with fitting the HIDs, this was part of the reason I asked where a set of additional caps can be purchased from.

Ive fitted them over the weekend, gone for the in the headlight option, so no need for additional caps now anyway! If i find that the light qualitiy is ***** and/or that im causing other drivers discomfort (getting flashed) I will simply swap them back to normal bulbs.

thanks for the comments