What's new

Headlight Washers

jjmartin349571

TA Friends
Reaction score
Car
'86 Gsi
Hi Folks,

I bought my Accord over a year ago now, and the whole time I've had it the headlight washers haven't been functioning. It's one of those little problems you keep putting off as it doesn't really affect day to day driving, but I kind of feel it's time to tackle it lol.

So far I've previously tested the pump and plumbing - all fine. I read the washers only functioned with the headlights on, tried this but still no result. I then tried to follow the wiring back but as it ran in to a loom I couldn't check for damage. I also started stripping the steering column trim, but I'm not sure where the switch would be located... Presumably it's a contact in the stalks, but somehow must be wired into both the headlights and windscreen washer? Anyone got any ideas or had a similar problem?

I'm pretty certain I've checked the fuse too btw :p might have to go to the garage and check to be 100% lol

Josh

I would hazard a guess that its the pump thats failed. Probably frozen at some point. Take it out test it and if its goosed simply po a newone on. not a fortune.

I actually jumped the gun and replaced it at the time anyway, but no joy :(

You can try connect power directly to pump motor if you will take bumper off and see if this is electrical or mechanical damage of washer system.
IF motor is working when connected, then look for wiring problem. of not.replace motor.
or else. IF there is two motors with identical plugs, test which motor is windshield washers, then connect plug from this motor to headlamp washer motor.

At least I would do so.

Thanks Linus, this was my first line of thought too, so I checked everything mechanical which all turned out to be fine, leaving me sure this is an electronic problem.

Not sure where to start with the electrics to be honest as I have no idea of what the headlight washer circuitry is like :(

Josh

do you get a live feed at the pump when you engage the jets?

These only work when the dipped beams are on. Also ensure there is enough water in the tank.
How do you know the mechanical side is fine?
Could also be a kinked hose under the bumper

It's a while since I did the work, however:

I replaced the pump with a new one, put a live feed to it in situ and it was squirting water no problem. Great fun was had by carefully positioning the removed bumper in order to squirt my girlfriend when she came over to look :p replaced factory connector, turned on dipped beams, washed windscreen - nothing happening at the headlight motor, suggesting there's no feed at the connector. So must be a problem between there and the stalks. Bearing in mind my car has done 120k almost, my train of thought is that the contact in the stalks might be worn out? Doesn't make much sense when you consider all other electronics from the stalks work though.

Kind of tempted to just run a push to make switch into the cab... Would ruin the OEM look though, and I have no blank switch plates at any rate :( nothing like my other car, a Mk2 Golf Driver which consists almost completely of blanking plates lol :p

did you try trace power wire from pump motor to steering column? try to search the same colored wire. if it is at the wiper switch then problem is 90% solved. If not. then I suggest short-circuit windshield and headlamp motors power wires. they will work both at the same time. Its better than nothing, if you need headlight washers and there is no hope to do otherwise :)

I tried my best but the looms are a nightmare to trace :(

I think you're right, best bet is to splice some wire in-between the two motors so the windscreen washer switch powers both pumps irrespective of headlights. Might check online to see how much some used stalks would set me back, if it's cheap I might try swapping them out. At any rate got a few ideas now, should be able to get something working!!

Cheers,
Josh

The washers dont activate like others have said unless your lights are on and enough water, so it may be the sensor? I not sure how it works maybe a float or contacts?

there is no such thing as level meter I believe.

this picture confirms that http://www.japancars.ru/cat/honda/image.php?npl=17S1A01&nplblk=B__1500&s=0.45 :)

here is Headlamp washer system wiring diagram. I hopes it helps you

IT looks like that there is some kind of control module for headlamp washers... just need to find it. its a simple 5 pins relay
But the best thing. download honda ESM. there is full DIY repair about everything
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MCQ4825J

If not. then check the following (copy paste from manual):
1. Remove the driver’s side, kick panel (see section 20).
2. Disconnect the 9P connector from the headlight washer control unit.
3. Inspect the connector and socket terminals to be sure they are all making good contact.
s If the terminals are bent, loose or corroded, repair them as necessary ,and recheck the system.
s If the terminals look OK, make the following input tests at the connector.
- If any test indicates a problem, find and correct the cause, then recheck the system.
- If all the input tests prove OK, the control unit must be faulty; replace it.

tableej.jpg

Thanks for that very comprehensive reply Linas! This looks to be some very useful information. I'm on my iPhone at the moment as my laptop is away being repaired under warranty, however I look forward to downloading that PDF on it's return, looks like a potential gold mine of info :p will get to work at the weekend if I have time, however I have to fit it in around changing the head gasket on my Golf as well!! Going to be a busy one lol

Cheers,
Josh

Will this work on my 1996 Honda Accord?

Although my problem isn't that it won't work but started squirting water onto the headlights and won't stop.
The car had been parked for about 4 hours and the only way I could stop it was to remove the fuse.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/mot-changes-2012.html?affiliate=85386

Just to throw this in the mix to....depends how on the ball your MOT tester is if your headlight washers dont work :blush:

I thought that was only for cars with HID'S? I never fixed mine, couldn't be bothered and couldn't find a replacement driver side washer. It'd be easy enough to splice into the windscreen washer wiring though, so no drama if it doesn't work on the original wiring with a new relay