What's new

Headlights dimming while driving

123taylor123

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord s 2.4 7th gen
Hi

Just wondered if anyone had ever had their hedlights dimming while driving?

Its an intermittent problem. which seems to happen mostly when i go over a lump in the road.
I'm sure it isnt alternator or battery as ive had them looked at.

Managed to find a write up on an american site telling me that its some sort of voltage regulator located in the main fuse board. And apparently they dont sell these seperate.

Any advice before i spend money would be greatly appreciated.

Chris do the light output change with more or less revs of the engine

As montempeaux says, its probably just the air con compresser draining some power when it kicks in. Mine does the same but only when the air con is in use.

it happens when cruising at 60 in 6th with no heating or anything on.

it doesn't happen at certain revs. its random.

It's not when you're washing the windscreen is it? ;)

Do you have auto or manual levellers?

Does it happen on main beam too?

it happens when cruising at 60 in 6th with no heating or anything on.

it doesn't happen at certain revs. its random.
In this case it could be a lose or dirty connection.
Try cleaning the lamp connectors and spraying with electrical Conntact spray.
Or a bad earth on your lamps.

There was a TSB released for Honda around this issue of lights dimming when the A/C kicked in. Basically the solution was to replace the regulator in the alternator with an upgraded one, it was a Honda warranty item. The TSB was only released in 2006, so I ***ume cars before this would experience this issue (I know my 04 does).

If you are randomly getting it at 60 while cruising then, its either the regulator (which is in the alternator) or a loose connection.

Whats a TSB? If its like a recall then would my car qualify?

As Brett said it's a Technical Service Bulletin. It's mean to describe a common issue that Honda have recognized as a defect along with a fix. This is for dealers to quickly resolve customer issues.

In terms of paying for the TSB, if you're in warranty then Honda pay, if you're out of warranty then generally you pay.

Havent a clue - not sure if it can be bought separately either. You might have to upgrade the whole alternater