What's new

HEADREST DVD PLAYERS

mattlee

Members
Reaction score
Car
Civic 2.2 i-ctdi
ive been thinking about fitting these for a while now and with a holiday coming up soon which involves a long drive with 2 young kids now seems like a good time to do it.

im only talking about the cheaper ones from ebay that are 9 inch screens and are about £170 for the pair. my only concern is that they sell them in black, grey and tan/beige and my car has the cream leather seats. if they are a close match then all is well but if they are miles out then they are gonna look silly.

so has any one fitted them in theirs? or maybe an alternative....
does the colour match ok or is it miles out?

they seem pretty straight forward to fit as the accord seats have the plastic clip on trim on the back giving great access to feed the wires down. the only thing that may be a bit of bother is when wiring the 2 dvd players together so they both play the same dvd at the same time. where would you run the wires to hide them?

Hi Matt

Not sure which ones you mean, please supply a link and I can have a look for you.

Iv got 7' in mine because the headrest curves near the top. Iv had the screen fitted into my current headrest so colour match is not a problem. The stitching of the headrest makes it difficult to install but my guys have a little bracket they install inside. This keeps the headrest shape and more importantly safe!

I'll upload a pic later of mine. Cost me £180 for screen and fitting! Screens are not cheap veba chineese ones. These are quite decent! ;-)

I've had fitted ones in the past but now have removable dvd/screens - much cheaper (because you don't have to get them fitted) and you can keep them when you sell the car.

A roof mounted flip down monitor is the way I went , I put up a thread on here somewhere which might be of interest . Everything I've fitted can be removed without leaving any holes if I sell the car plus the roof mounted monitor is harder to spot than headrest monitors ( less wiring to ).

Iv got 7' in mine because the headrest curves near the top. Iv had the screen fitted into my current headrest so colour match is not a problem. The stitching of the headrest makes it difficult to install but my guys have a little bracket they install inside. This keeps the headrest shape and more importantly safe!

I'll upload a pic later of mine. Cost me £180 for screen and fitting! Screens are not cheap veba chineese ones. These are quite decent! ;-)
Bro get some pics up, and were did you install them????

hi i think a member used this company http://www.xtrons.co.uk/HEADREST-car-dvd.Html and it seem pretty nice

this is the kind of set i was thinking of
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C1035M-2x-9-Car-Headrest-Digital-Screen-DVD-Player-IR-headphones-FM-SONY-LENS-/170852150243?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item27c794ebe3

roof mounted sounds good but also sounds much harder to install...

I fitted some of the xtrons one im my Black leather EX. The colour match isn't too bad at all, My seats are a bit shinier than the headreast, but I think a go with furniture polish should sort that out. I only wired one up (one child at present)and used the cigarette light option to power it. Long term my plan was to run all the cables into the centre console and joint the DVD together in there as there must be a reasonable amount of empty space. Will also hard wire the power and possibly fit an on/off switch so I can hard wire them direct to the battery as it annoying that they turn off when restarting the engine.

The seat backs popped of quite easily, though I broke the small white clips at the bottom. They're replaceable so not the end of the world, plus the seat backs clip back on fine without them.

Of the DVDs themselves:

PROS:
Pretty cheap in price
both headrests can play films from SD/USB/DVD
Can play different films on each, or link them together to watch the same thing
tidier than the attach to headrest type so less obvious to theives

CONS:
Manual leaves a lot to be desired with interesting translations to english
User Interface not great (its not particularly refined, but useable)
headrests a little wobbly and sit slighly further back on the seat than I would like

All in all, you get what you pay for with these, they are cheap, but don't look bad at all, its the interface that lets them down a bit. The plastic tubes that come with the headrests to adjust the pole size could be made of sturdier stuff - i think this is what they are a bit wobbly