What's new

Heater Fan Fault

Gozzy

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Evening all, Gozzy from Norfolk here in need of your collective wisdom!

I have a 2012 Accord Ex auto Diesel with 55k on the clock which has suddenly developed a problem with the heating fan. Lovely timing in this cold and wet weather spell!

I was driving home tonight and when the traffic slowed, the heating fan started making a squealing noise followed by a noise I can only describe as being like a hairdryer crossed with a jet engine. I’ve tried turning it off and on and trying various settings, all with the same result.

When the fan is winding up the noise increases and the air pressure coming out is a lot lower than normal. There was also a slight burning smell, but that could have been the heater setting (was on max).

Has anyone experienced a failure of their heating fan or the motor that powers it? Any idea of a ball park figure of replacing these? Is it a dealer job or are the parts accessible to a novice armed with a Halfords toolkit and You Tube? :) Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

An unrelated issue, but I’ll also need a couple of front suspension bushes replacing soon. Any idea of the cost I should expect to pay at a garage for this?

Thanking you in advance.

Could it be possible pollen filter not present causing a branch or some leaves to enter the motor or perhaps pollen filter has came apart and maybe entered the motor?

I've had a look on honda parts catalogue and looks like the motor had been discontinued but would of been pricey anyway. Best bet used ebay.

Pretty sure its just a glove box out job and maybe you could see what the problem is and maybe fix it.

Regarding the bushes its hard to say depends on which bushes.

Hope this helps

Thanks buddy. I’ll remove the pollen filter and take a look. Fingers crossed for a stray leaf being stuck in there!

Update: So I removed the pollen filter and picked out a few stray bits of leaf. The filter was only changed recently and is in good condition.

I then removed the panel under the glove box; disconnected the power to the fan motor; undid the 3 screws holding the motor in; and dropped it out for inspection. No debris in the motor. The condition looked good. Spun it by hand to check for bearing noise etc. Seemed all ok. Fitted everything back. Tried the fan. Seems back to normal.

So I’m guessing whatever had worked it’s way in there has found it’s way out again, but will just see how it goes. I followed Csak’s advice and sourced a replacement motor on eBay. You can pick them up for around £20-£25. If it happens again, I’ll check the motor for debris again and order a replacement motor if I can’t find any cause.

Thanks again Csak for your advice. Much appreciated.

Oh and the Bluetooth box is also on the back of that panel under the glovebox in case anyone ever needs to swap one of those out and is wondering where it is.