What's new

HELP- Cluch Change - Stuck Bolt

jayok

TA Friends
Reaction score
Car
CRV / S2000
So my 2.4 went in today to get a new clutch kit installed and while stripping the car the mechanic has stubmled across a problem with one of the engine mounts. Specifically, one of the bolts that holds the mount onto the engine block is completely siezed - now I mean completey seized. It will only move about 3mm top. The other 3 bolts within the mount came out fine. Now he is concerned, he could try and force it but it would break and then it's an "engine out" job to thread a new bolt or worse he could crack the engine block itself and then the car is effectively a write-off.

So he called me and asked, what would I like him to do....

Anyone else have this, anyone have any ideas?

He's gonna call Honda HQ tomorrow (he rang me at 5:30pm) and get them to advise, but as it's a 04, they'll probably advise that you're on your own.

Soak in something like WD-40 for a while then try a breaker bar on it? If not, he could drill it out maybe?

Soak in something like WD-40 for a while then try a breaker bar on it? If not, he could drill it out maybe?

It's been soaked in penetrating oil all day and it still won't budge, problem is that it's at the rear of the car and can't get drill access. It's not breaking the bolt is the issue, it's cracking the engine block. After all, it's steel vs aluminium...

Has he tried heating/cooling the bolt, other than that I am at a loss. I would agree honda hq are not going to give you the answers you want.

Has he tried heating/cooling the bolt, other than that I am at a loss. I would agree honda hq are not going to give you the answers you want.

To be fair, he's been at it with all manner of techniques most of the day, it just won't budge....

The question is, does he force it and crack away?

I can imagine he has tried most things, if your luck is anything like mine then what ever method you use your going to break it!

Yeah that's my thinking - and general luck. I do between 15-20k per annum and the clutch is ok-ish. I might just keep going until I am forced to do a change - then the decision is made

Some decent penetrating oil like Plus Gas, over a prolonged period with many applications may save you.

I would have thought a little heat on the alloy would help, then give the bolt a go.

Right so - an update. The bolt still won't budge, so I've asked him to put what he has back together.

To be fair to Honda, they did revert and it's pretty common on the Accord, Civic and CRVs. Normally though it's the bolts into the gearbox and breaking this case means a new gearbox case. It's not common to break it, but it has happened. There suggestion is penetrating spray (PB Blaster, etc) and slowly work the bolt out, it could take a few days or soaking the bolt and slowly working it out. Brute force is not recommended as there's a risk of literally cracking the engine block :( Apparently, heating the bolt is a big risk and last option as you could actually melt the aluminium.

So, I am away on holier for a few weeks in July, the mechanic has agreed to take the car back while I'm on holidays and work on the the bolt in a slow and controlled manner and hopefully not break it. But he want to spend the two weeks soaking the bolt and working on it.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Often time and patience make all the difference. I've done work on seized gearboxes a few times - the best way of dealing with them has been a week or two submerged in a tank of diesel.

Once you've got a little bit of movement you're 90% of the way there.

Alan

I have had some success with steel into aluminium corrosion with neat amonia - not pleasant to work with, but it seems to dissolve the oxide and penetrates quite effectively. Best of luck!