What's new

Help identifying which wheel bearing

doodalon

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2003
Hi all,

I've been having issues with wheel bearing noise once I hit 25+ (It was from 30 before since my last post but has now got louder)

Advice given was to test when turning left/right if the noise stops from Jon G, I've found out that if I corner a long sweeping left turn, the noise completely stops, or at least I cant hear it anymore.. but once I straighten up, it comes back, no effect when turning right.

What does this actually mean? Would I then be looking at the left side bearings? If so, is there a way of identifying whether its the front or rear?

Any help/corrections appreciated!!

Thanks,

Will

EDIT: Car info: Petrol Saloon 2003

Get her up off all four wheels, spin them you should hear the rumble? or could it be the cv joints on the front?? hard over lock slow speed you will hear that as well.

If it stops making noise on left handers it is the nearside that is at fault, this happens because you take the load off the nearside wheels and suspension when you turn left, finding if it's front or back is more of a problem i'm afraid.

If it stops making noise on left handers it is the nearside that is at fault, this happens because you take the load off the nearside wheels and suspension when you turn left, finding if it's front or back is more of a problem i'm afraid.
SORRY!!! ehould read OFFSIDE at fault

SORRY!!! ehould read OFFSIDE at fault
Actually, I agreed with your original answer and explanation... what made you change your mind?

I notice that other replies disappeared during the downtime. I believe they also agreed with your first reply!

EDIT - I'm ***uming that we are saying "left hand" = nearside.

I would expect the noise to worsen when you load that side of the car up. I.e. noisey offside bearing on a right hand turn, and vica versa. That is when the bearing will be doing the most work/under most forces

As each hub contains 2 bearings you can't tell which hub is making the noise just by the noise changing when going round left and right hand bends.

I would take each wheel off in turn and spin the hub. listen for one of them being noisy. The bearing should also feel rough if you turn the hub slowly by hand. You'll not be able to feel it if there is any binding of the brake though so you might need to take the caliper off the pads to feel this.

As each hub contains 2 bearings you can't tell which hub is making the noise just by the noise changing when going round left and right hand bends.
It would be useful if you could explain why having 2 bearings in each hub makes a difference to diagnosing the noise in relation to cornering.

It would be useful if you could explain why having 2 bearings in each hub makes a difference to diagnosing the noise in relation to cornering.
Well in each hub the 2 bearings face each other so whether loading or unloading the bearing causes the noise when you turn left for example, one bearing is loaded and the other is unloaded. I've had bearings fail in the past where turning towards the side of the failed bearing made it more noisy and also ones that got quieter when turning in the same way.

If it goes turning left then it'll be offside bearing. the rear is dead easy to change, I think I did a diy some time back.

Go onto a smooth road and it should be clearer to tell front/rear, you can jack the car and manually check to make sure.

Tricky one. Just replaced both rear wheel bearings on mine. Car jacked up and the drivers side was making a slight amount of noise. Other side was fine. Turned hard right and the noise stopped. Replaced drivers side bearing and the noise was still there. Mechanic who changed it said he wouldn't have though the passenger side bearing had gone just by spinning the wheel when it was jacked up but that was changed aswell and problems all sorted. Bearing from HH with the TA discount was about £13 per side more expensive than a copy, no brainer really.