What's new

Help please....

luvmyaccord

6th & Type R Mod
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type R
Hey dudes,

Got the Accord out of the garage for the first time in 3.5 weeks. Went to start it and as usual the battery's dead. So I plugged the jump kit on as it was fully charged and went to turn it over, no turning of the engine at all but a loud constant fast click.

I also tried to jump it off my sisters car and left the leads on with the other car running to charge my Accords battery and it didn't seem to charge it at all

The engine I think is fine as I put the car in gear and pushed it back and forward and the aux belts moved and the turned a full rotation.

I'm just concerned as to what the ticking was.

Help please.

Si.

Hey dudes,

Got the Accord out of the garage for the first time in 3.5 weeks. Went to start it and as usual the battery's dead. So I plugged the jump kit on as it was fully charged and went to turn it over, no turning of the engine at all but a loud constant fast click.

I also tried to jump it off my sisters car and left the leads on with the other car running to charge my Accords battery and it didn't seem to charge it at all

The engine I think is fine as I put the car in gear and pushed it back and forward and the aux belts moved and the turned a full rotation.

I'm just concerned as to what the ticking was.

Help please.

Si.

Hmm. Possible starter motor? Try giving the starter a good few whacks with something blunt and heavy.

Failing that, jump the car in 2nd gear to see if it will atleast run.

Edit: Just re-read your post. If there is a lack of power from the battery, you can also get this symptom but USUALLY you will at least get a slow crank or two from the engine first before the starter motor says "nope!" and clicks at you. The fact the it clicked straight away and clicks quickly, leads me to think there was sufficient power from the leads, but the starter motor is seized...As said, try giving it a couple of whacks! :)

Clicking is normal, a symptom of a empty battery. Either the jump pack you used wasnt fully charged, or wasnt connected right.

If you have a battery charger, either/and (not at the same time though) charge the ATR battery/jump pack, and try again.

Its a Honda, nothing is wrong, just the battery, which isnt Honda related. :D

Ninja edit: And yes, you can bump the car, turn the key into start position in 2nd clutch down with the car rolling already, come off the clutch as it judders into life, let go of the key.... enjoy the fact its not a modern car and you have to have your foot on the brake to start it <_< :lol:

Clicking is normal, a symptom of a empty battery. Either the jump pack you used wasnt fully charged, or wasnt connected right.

If you have a battery charger, either/and (not at the same time though) charge the ATR battery/jump pack, and try again.

Its a Honda, nothing is wrong, just the battery, which isnt Honda related. :D

Or he could quickly swap over a battery from another car there to atleast start it...I would jump it personally. :)

Cheers dudes, that's what I thought but just thought I'd check.

I'll check the water levels tomorrow too. I couldn't bump the car as I was on my own. Didn't have much time as I had to be at training, but got all day tomorrow.

So tomorrow morning I'll check water, tickle the starter motor, check all connections and terminals...and then call the RAC lol. The only other battery I've got is from an Astra lol.

Cheers dudes.

Is that Astra like the forfeit car in Top Gear? :lol:

Is that Astra like the forfeit car in Top Gear? :lol:
Yeah pretty much....never had to use it before, but the Scoobs having 4 toyo T1Rs put on to replace the winter rubber, plus front caliper rebuild....so haven't got it for 2 days.

Oh dear.... wouldn't you prefer to walk though? I mean.... a Vauxhall....... Astra...... they drive those in Luton ...... I'd rather walk on my hands :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: yeah I know. It's worse cause its my sisters car so full of girly stuff, smells fruity, and I can't smoke in it!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: yeah I know. It's worse cause its my sisters car so full of girly stuff, smells fruity, and I can't smoke in it!!!

You smoke in your car?! WTF :huh: :D

You smoke in your car?! WTF :huh: :D
:lol: :lol: yeah I know I shouldn't but I love a smoke while on a drive.

Little update, went and bought a new battery that I was ***ured would fit, and do you know what? It ****** doesn't. Motorspares are f***ing useless. I'm really ****ed off. Tried the jump pack again and it didn't work, same ticking.

The trickle charger I've got isn't working either for some reason so I got annoyed and threw it.

So now taking the battery back when I've stopped swearing and gonna leave it till tomorrow and just call the RAC then if it is the battery get on the phone to Holdcroft. If its the starter I'll get them to take me to the local trusted mechanic.

AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!

Monday morning I had the dreaded clicking, I knew my battery was getting weak anyway but once driven it was always fine, but this "extended winter" has obviously taken it's toll on the battery. It started on a push, so when I got a chance this week, I took it to my local Honda man and they were able to test the battery to check it's condition, which in doing so a little report printed saying battery failed, please replace. So new battery (€75) installed and a 3 year warranty to boot too :D So I'm happy enough with that service.

And just to note, looking at the new battery it has written on the top Honda battery yet the old (original one) that came out was panasonic, but I wan't able to see Honda written on it anywhere :huh:

Glad to know its not just me then. My cars been in the warm-ish garage for a while but it just doesn't work.

The battery Motorspares sold me was too tall, too wide so it wouldn't fit in the tray and the points were the wrong side so the cables wouldn't reach and too thin so the terminals wouldn't tighten up on them.

Not a good day lol. So got another day off tomorrow so will be calling the RAC.

Glad to know its not just me then. My cars been in the warm-ish garage for a while but it just doesn't work.

The battery Motorspares sold me was too tall, too wide so it wouldn't fit in the tray and the points were the wrong side so the cables wouldn't reach and too thin so the terminals wouldn't tighten up on them.

Not a good day lol. So got another day off tomorrow so will be calling the RAC.

Can't you get a buddy to run you into Halfords/Motorfactor and just pick up the correct battery yourself? At least that way you can (providing it Izs the battery!) get her started and go do some vtec'ing. :D

I'm gonna try, I've got the Astra that I can take. It's my sisters and she's away so I can use that if needs be. I took it this morning.

I was just miffed that they said its definitely the right one...then when I took it back and said it was wrong they said, and I quote 'it's definitely the right one cause the computers telling me that's the one you need'. They weren't even gonna give me a flaming refund cause 'the computer says its right'.

So will try another place after I've had some food.

Grr...I hate it when they rely on the computer so much! I had the same issue when I replaced my original battery last year. It was way too huge, but I had no choice but to fit it without the plastic surround and then fabricate a new mount for it. At least now I have a HUGE battery that has shed loads of power! :D

Well I got a new battery from Halfrauds, fitted it and guess what, as usual 2 turns and she fired!!! Yay. The battery is nearly 3 years old so was kinda due a new one lol.

The new one has a 4 year warranty too.

So the last 2 hours have consisted if driving...with a sprinkling of vtec. Mmmmmm forgot how much I love this car.

Well I got a new battery from Halfrauds, fitted it and guess what, as usual 2 turns and she fired!!! Yay. The battery is nearly 3 years old so was kinda due a new one lol.

The new one has a 4 year warranty too.

So the last 2 hours have consisted if driving...with a sprinkling of vtec. Mmmmmm forgot how much I love this car.

Cool dude! Great to hear. :)

The battery must of been really flat to not even offer a single turnover of the engine! Oh and please stop talking about your Accord...It's making me miss mine! :D

Lol, sorry dude.

The battery was pretty dead. The central locking didn't even work, and the clock had gone off lol.

Lol, sorry dude.

The battery was pretty dead. The central locking didn't even work, and the clock had gone off lol.

Haha. I'm just messing mate. I always enjoy people talking about there cars, and it's nice to hear about Type'Rs :).

P.S, do you have a link to the oil cooler you bought from VTEC Direct? I can't seem to find it on there site, and could do with a replacement for my home made one! :D

I had to ask Andy when I was up there before. It's not listed on the site as I think he's just too busy to list everything he can supply.

It is awesome though. It looks like a really small intercooler. Might be worth a call to them to see if he still does them.

I had to ask Andy when I was up there before. It's not listed on the site as I think he's just too busy to list everything he can supply.

It is awesome though. It looks like a really small intercooler. Might be worth a call to them to see if he still does them.

Thanks mate. Will give him a call.

I already have one at the moment which I made from a gearbox oil cooler from a Lexus IS. It performs well, but looks a bit tatty even after having a lick of paint.

Mine had the same recently - replaced the starter motor, and put a new battery on it, as the old one was pretty shot. The battery my motor factor gave me would only fit once the battery tray had been removed...