Help! Radiator bleed

AlanS

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 EX Tourer ADAS
I've just drained and refilled the radiator, set the climate to Hi and
Tighten the cap to first stop as per manual. It says the fan should come
On at least twice. But no mine isn't coming on at all even after 20 mins idle.
Is there something wrong?

Not necessarily a problem mate, I've tried this myself and found the radiator never comes on....

So nowadays I don't bother with all that run the engine afterwards stuff on the coolant change as it never gets the air out anyway! :rolleyes:

The air will come out in its own time over the next week or so as the car is put to normal use. Keep your eye on the reservoir daily for the next week or so and top up as needed because it will go down.

So you might need another litre from your local dealer if you've already used your full 5.

If it keeps dropping after a week or so though you might have a leak somewhere that needs sorting e.g. new radiator cap or new o-ring on the radiator drain plug maybe.

did you leave the rad cap off for a while to allow the air to escape?? obvisously the engine should be running with temp on CC turned to hi, raise the revs a little to get the fluid flowing through the system, dont rev the nuts off it though.

Personally i would make sure you bleed the system first. It can cause air pockets which can starve parts of the cooling system and could lead to damage to the water pump or even seals.

used the full 5L tub and i've got 1L top up bottle aswell. double checked every thing no leak, will keep an eye on it thou.

yeh i only tighten the cap to the first stop which is still loose. CC to Hi on full blast and let it run for over 20 mins.
fan still didnt come on, i did notice steam is coming out of the rad filler so i asume its up to tempt and when i took cap off with engine running i can see air is escaping.

just did a 50 mile trip and everything seems spot on so im happy.l

Are the heaters blowing hot air and is the temp gauge working as normal? It can take ages for the fans to kick in, just keep an eye on the coolant level for the next few days, ideally when engine is cold.

That's good to hear but still keep an eye on it over the next few days mate and a job well done

Dave yes blowing hot air at full blast, water tempt is at normal level during the 50 miles trip.

like i said before i left it to run for over 20 mins and the car have been driven before the coolant change so the engine will definately be at normal operating tempt.

so i cant think of any reason why the cooling fan didnt kick in??