What's new

help to diagnose a couple of issues.

spudowen

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord cdti
Looking for a second opinion, so I don't go out spending money on bits I don't need, I have a couple of problems but not sure if they are connected.

This is the situation;
1. I am getting a vague/wayword steering feel at high speed, when in a straight line the car just doesn't feel planted, and is not confidence inspiring.
2. When coming to a stop at low speed, I can hire a clunk, not always but seems to be a wait shift thing.
3. Again at low speed, I get what feels like engine hesitation, again not always
4. At high speed there is a faint rattle sound which seems to be coming from the glove box area.

I had neglected the car a little so in the last few months I have changed the following.
rear drop links - cured knock from the rear
front drop links and mounts - cured knock from the front
front compliance bushes- same time as front drop links but improved the feel
new battery and alternator as old alternator failed
air filter - cleaned pipercross, improved throttle response
fuel filter- genuine filter, improved hesitation issue
4no new tyres (installed yesterday 4/11/14)

After the drop links and compliance bushes where fitted the car was hunter 4 wheeled aligned.

Car has 111k and is a 2.2ctdi.

I am fairly handy with the spanners and all work was carried out by myself, apart from the tyres, all went fairly straight forward apart from separating the drivers side lower ball joint when replacing the compliance bushes, I had a hell of a job and fear that it may have been damaged in the process.

Anybody got any ideas as what the issues could be?

So you need to:

Get the tracking checked... Go to a good garage or look at wheelsin motion to see where their nearest partner is.

Low speed clunk is probably down to a worn bush or ball joint.

3-do not understand.

4 - rattle could be anything .. Try taking the glovebox outand seeing if there is anything loosr back there...
Is your glove box full? I often found cd cases rattled in there

Just to explain the 3Rd point further, at low revs the car can sometimes feel hesitant, I am 90% sure it is connected to issues 1&2.

The car 4wheel alligned after the compliance bushes and drop links where done, so it's not a tracking issue.

Is there any way of diagnosing which bush/joint is at fault? am I right in thinking that it could only be the lower ball joint or the top nuckle?

The Upper Control Arm balljoint (top knuckle?) is easy to check, hold a torch in your mouth and shine it over the top of the tyre onto the balljoint, then grab the top of the tyre and rock it backwards and forwards while looking for play in the joint. You don't even have to jack up the wheel!

New tyres can cause odd handling and vagueness while bedding in, was it OK before the new tyres?

No the feeling has been there a while,but has got better with every bit I have replaced. The old tyres where badly worn and worn unevenly, so replacing these has made a big difference but it is definitely not right.

Thanks for the tip on the top knuckle I'll get that checked tomorrow and report back

It can be harder to check for sure without a 4-post lift and a decent lever. You really need to have the joint loaded and in its normal position while attempting to lever the ball up out of the socket to see any free play... maybe drive the car up ramps or onto concrete blocks first to make access easier, but do also put something solid underneath the car for additional support in order to make it properly safe for you get under! And check for obvious splits and damage to the balljoint covers.

Track rod ends are another thing to check out... with the wheels still on the ground, look closely at the track rod ends for play while an ***istant gently waggles the steering around the straight-ahead position. And also check that there is practically no play in the steering rack at the same time.

EDIT - when was the last MoT? These things should've all been checked then. Maybe if it was a while ago you could put it in for another MoT to get all these things (and more) checked out by a knowledgable person for the relatively low cost of an MoT? If they ask why you're having it MoT'd a bit early then tell them that you're thinking of selling it and want a full ticket!

Mot was last month!

I have felt for play in trackrod ends the week before last and didn't feel anything obvious. The wheel did move a little but I thought that was just the rack moving. ill try and get it accessible next week and have a good lever about.

thanks for the help.