What's new

Help with 2005 Tourer

MCURZON

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 Honda
Hi ther,

have just had a gearbox changed on my 64,000 mile diesel accord toured. The speedo sensor has also been replaced but now the speedo doesn't work?

The garage say they cannot figure out and recommend taking to a main dealer.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or an idea of the cost of letting main deLet solve?

Thanks a lot

Matt

Matt my advice is introduce yourself 1st in the newbies section as questions like this on a 1st post will get you no where my friend.

Agree with Brett, you will not get anything if you don't do a proper into and look as if you are committing to the club and not just problem solving and going, too many people do that these days :(

Sorry chaps,

just done as you've suggested. I've got an accord plus an accord on the way as well as a civic so I am all Honda and intend being a hopefully useful member for some time.

Cheers
Matt

First thing to do is figure out why your current garage think you should pay for this. I would tell them it is their responsibility to get it sorted.

Why did they change the sensor in the first place? Why did they start summut they can't finish?

Does changing the gearbox involve removing the clutch? If so do they have the special tool to do it properly?

As Dan said get the car back to that garage and get them to fit the bill.If they fob you off get in contact with trading standards.
If they have done a job and made things worse its there responsibility.
With the sensor is it not a case of resetting the system though.

Clutch was done about 2 months ago and it worked fine after that.

The gearbox story is a long one but basically I ordered a replacement box, it came from Chesterfield to my local garage who fitted it and only realised afterwards that it was a 5 speed not a 6 speed. The suppliers agreed to supply another one but refused to pay for the cost of replacement saying that the local garage should have known it was different and not fitted it. They did agree to fit a new one themselves for me at no cost so I drove it to chesterfield and left it there. When fitting the one they said the speedo sensor was broken and so they replaced this blaming my local garage for botching the fitting of the 5 speed box. Now the new box is in and the car drives perfectly but the speedo does nothing.

Sorry for the length of this post but thought the background may help.

Matt

I should add that the biggest difficulty is that each garage involved blames the other so nobody wants to take responsibility for sorting!

Sounds like your garage and Chesterfield (Honda?) are pretty useless.

My previous points still stand, but you and going to be stick in a three way tangle :(

Yes, I think I am stuck as I can't pinpoint for sure who is at fault.

I have a buyer for the car as I am awaiting delivery of my shiny new version so need to get a move on but don't know what a main dealer bill is likely to be to resolve.

Any ideas what could be causing the fault or an idea of what sort of bill I am likely to get from a main dealer?

What have you handed cash over for so far and to whom?

I'm a bit worried about the clutch fit, but at least you'll have got shot of it soon enough.

I paid cash to garage in Chesterfield to supply box. I then paid cash to garage in bridgend to fit what turned out to be the wrong box. I then paid more cash to garage in Chesterfield to replace gearbox sensor etc.

Basically, everybody has had money from me!

I am worried that problem mat be unfixable and I obviously can't sell it without a speedo.

It will certainly be fixable, but I surely don't think anymroe money should be changing hands. Without wanting to sound harsh, but you should not have handed over money to Chesterfield... Your other garage should have arranged collection and return of the boxes and haggled with Chesterfield over the costs.

Matt, sounds like a real can of worms mate.

Have you had the fault diagnosed by Honda? The HDS system is quite sophisticated and can ****ayse/trouble shoot allsorts of deep rooted problems. It could probably tell you whether the part in question is at fault or not.

Sounds like they've tried to fit the speed sensor from the 6 speed to the 5 speed box and broken it. Did the replacement box not come with the speedo sensor too?

Hi,

no it didn't but a brand new one was fitted along with whatever other sensor is on the gearbox,

part numbers replaced were:
pick up ***y h28820pwr013

valve ***y h36180rbde01

they say they have tested the speedo output and that this is fine but it still doesn't work !

Does everything else on the cluster work ok ?

Also when you drove the car to Chesterfield with the 5 speed box, did the speedo work then ?

Hi CJM

No, the speedo has not worked since the original box came out. The rev counter works, fuel gauge works but mileometer, mpg etc do not function.

Hi CJM

No, the speedo has not worked since the original box came out. The rev counter works, fuel gauge works but mileometer, mpg etc do not function.

Ok so that points to the original garage near you.

The best solution would be to follow Fahads' advice and get it to Honda for them to diagnose with the HDS.

It could be that the original garage simply unplugged the connection further up or by fitting the five speed have either blown a fuse (so worth having a quick check of all the fuses ) or a control module or simply bent a connection.

Out of interest why did the box need replacing in the first place?

Problem solved, HDS diagnosed a fault with a module that cost £83 plus vat

Box needed replacing as it lost reverse gear.

Have finally had car back today and it has a massive dent on 1/4 panel that wasn't there when it went. The dramas are non stop with this car!!

Thanks for all of your help

Matt

Have finally had car back today and it has a massive dent on 1/4 panel that wasn't there when it went. The dramas are non stop with this car!!

Matt
It never rains but it pours. Your luck with cars (or I should say with garages) sounds like mine Matt.

Matt

Well good to hear you've got it sorted, bad to hear about the dent, presumably you've got to take it back to get it sorted.

Hope they don't deny they are responsible and be honest enough to own up .

good luck

Thanks, yes they fixed it and it is now sold so am looking to forward to taking delivery of my 8th gen tourer that should be arriving in 12 weeks!!