What's new

Help with Coolant Change

stu08

Members
Reaction score
Car
TBC
Currently changing my coolant on a 2.0 i-vtec engine. I have followed Honda's method using the handbook.

I've got to the final section where it states:

1) Fill coolant up to base of radiator neck (expansion tank filled to MAX too).

2) Secure the radiator cap to the first stop.

3) Start the engine and run until the fans come on twice.

The issue is they aren't coming on, even after running the car for half an hour. I have the climate control set to hi temp and auto. If I feel the hose that goes to the radiator it is hot and fairly easy to squeeze. The temp gauge sits just under the middle.

Am I missing something? Does anyone know why the fans aren't coming on?

turn the climate control off completely, it's drawing heat out of the engine cooling system

Thanks for the reply. Tried this and still no fans. Although the temp gauge sits in the correct position. :-S

Duh! Haha. Didn't think of that. You can tell I've never self serviced a car before. Thanks for that; all sorted now.

LOL

Even though the weather is mild for this time of year, the engine will lose most of its idling heat upwards with the bonnet open, and/or through the heater matrix if the heater is on

It's good to know these things. Will make it easier next time.

Thanks for helping me through the issues.

in summer in this country, the fans will eventually come on with the bonnet up when the engine is started from cold.

With the bonnet shut, the will fans take longer to come on at this time of year when the engine is started from cold. The time between fans running and stopping will also be longer.