What's new

Hesitation above 2000 rpm

gul55

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 ictdi
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me? I've noticed over the weekend that when I boot the car, the car is very hesitant. The revs seem to stay put just after 2000rpm and it seems like the car has lost all its power. Tonight I tried taking off from a set of lights at speed from standing, yet once i put my foot down the car just struggled, the revs wouldnt go past 2500rpm and the coil light kept flashing. I kept driving till another set of lights then turned the engine off to see if the coil light would stop flashing but it kept on flashing. After a few miles and a few more attempts, the coil light stopped flashing. Can anyone shed some light on this please?

I'm guessing its some EGR valve related problem or something related to turbo boosting.

I'm starting to lose patience with this car as I only just sorted a starter motor problem out last week, now another problem has popped up. Ps one of my headlamps blew on me a while ago, so I replaced it after a lot of struggling and it seems to have blown just over a month later! (I did make sure that I didnt handle the bulb on the glass part). I might consider going back to a passat tdi if things carry on.

If you look at the top right of your pc screen, you'll see a button next to a box marked 'search'.

Try it, it's like magic honest.

Try typing in Fuel Filter ;)

I experienced the very same problem 24hrs after I bought my 04 plate - I have been told that it most likely that the fuel filter is not a genuine Honda.

My car didnt come with any history and by the look sof the oil it hasn't been serviced in a long time so a full service is being booked as soon as I find a decent price/garage.

Lets hope it is just the filter.

^ it is, and if it isn't I'll get CJ to eat an omelete cooked in diesel.

I'm gonna order one tomorrow from honda dealers! But what about the coil light? Why would that come on?

I believe its a symptom of restricted fuel flow. You'd be amazed what the fuel filter can throw up.

hi defo fuel filter change it with a geniune honda filter only make sure u bleed it properly same problem i suffered in my accord!! and for the bulb issue go hid well worth it!?

Most likely FF as everyone has said if not when changed have a good look at 7th gen diesel faults its packed with info on this.

Ordered a fuel filter this morning from Honda Manchester and just received it. Was surprised by the quick delivery as I was expected them to post it out, but they said they'll get the delivery guy to drop it off on his rounds. Great service.
I didn't know that the original fuel filter for my car is made by Bosch (part number 16901S6FE02) and I've got one in the car already fitted. I'm gonna get this new one fitted anyway so at least I can eliminate the fuel filter as a cause of my cars problem, plus its probably due a change. I guess the oil and filter can get a change too at the same time.

Yes mate Bosch filter on the pre facelift and Denso on the facelift. If the FF doesn't work then look at IMRC valve next.

Whats the IMRC valve?
Inlet Manifold Runner control valve, for stable combustion at lower engine speeds. There are two areas there is a solenoid that controls the valve, in some cases this can go wrong and cause hesitation, equally if the IMRC Valve sticks in the wrong position you will get similar symptoms. However going of your description 90% on the fuel filter.

The fuel filter is quite often neglected by some mechanics as it is a little more difficult to replace than some i.e may take more than half an hour, so basically it gets left, then other garages tend to put in cheap after-market filters, which is basically a recipe for disaster.

morning All,

I had a full service carried out by Honda last week and the performed a health check on it as part of the service.On the way home I thought I would see if the car still went into limp mode when you put your foot down.

On the way home everything was fine however this morning I was accelerating out of a roundabout, not particularly fast and the coil light started flashing - I had to reboot the car.

I would have thought coil light flashing would have appeared in the fault codes from last time but there was no mention by Honda.

So if it is the IMRC should it have appeared in the inspection and how much am I looking at paying to get it fixed??

I certainly hope so - A full service usually entails changing all the filters.

I'm waiting for a phonecall from them to confirm.

I'm sorry I don't want to have a go... but why do people blindly ***ume that garages will do everything you 'expect' or '***ume' they will do?

Is it really too much to ask that you have a conversation with their service manager before or after the service to ask/check what is being done?

It's quite possible they haven't changed it, or have simply drained and bled it.

Limp mode/flashing coil is not a symptom of the IMRC, it's nearly always fuel filter.

My bad - After 20 years of driving I should know better, I have had my hands well an truely burnt by my own ***umptions!

Honda 1 - MeatyChi 0

I'm waiting for a phonecall from them to confirm.

If they charged you for fuel filter it should be on the invoice, listed with all other parts and fluids they hopefully changed.

I recently had the hesitation in 3rd gear when putting my foot flat.

I booked a full service, had the fuel filter changed and still had the same problem.

The next week I booked the car back into the garage and had the manifold system (EGR) completely flushed out and the swirl control valve replaced.

Now 3rd gear is fine, however I now have the problem in gear 2 at 2k revs.....any ideas?

Jake, engine hesitation problems are not related to your gears - it could be just more noticable in the other gears.

When you say garage, was it Honda or a private garage?

Do you know if they used a genuine Honda fuel filter?

And how did they 'flush' the manifold and EGR valve? Not sure what that means in truth.

ye its not a gear related problem

sorry flush meaning thoroughly cleaned out ;)

private garage, I'm going to take it back to ensure that the fuel filter is the proper bosch one

Not sure how many times I'm going to have to say this to people, already made it a sticky and I say it in every thread. But people still ignore me and then complain when they have problems.

USE GENUINE FUEL FILTERS IN THE ACCORD DIESEL! :ph34r:

Not sure how many times I'm going to have to say this to people, already made it a sticky and I say it in every thread. But people still ignore me and then complain when they have problems.

USE GENUINE FUEL FILTERS IN THE ACCORD DIESEL! :ph34r:

im gonna go and shout that in my mechanics face

turns out the filter used was a genuine honda one now im scratching my head as to what this can be, complete loss of power after hard acceleration in gear 2 which followed into gear 3 yesterday.
how can i reset the ECU? remove the battery terminals?

Additionally make sure it's bled a couple of time to get rid of all the air. I initially had this problem.

turns out the filter used was a genuine honda one now im scratching my head as to what this can be, complete loss of power after hard acceleration in gear 2 which followed into gear 3 yesterday.
how can i reset the ECU? remove the battery terminals?

Maybe give cleaning your MAF sensor a go. What's the economy like?

To reset the ECU pull the fuse for a couple of minutes, you should find the location in the manual, it is in the fuse box under the bonnet.