What's new

HFT - Help Me Please

H Peasource

Injector King
Reaction score
Car
Lexus IS250
The HFT on my newly acquired tourer is locked. I've tried the obvious codes with no success. From reading various posts my next step would therefore be to get the dealer ot unlock it. Fair enough.

My dilemma is this. Some of the posts I've read suggest the HFT is not really that good anyway but, being unable to try it, I can't see for myself what it's good at and what its shortcomings are. So can I ask the views of those with experience of using the HFT? What are your views of its strengths and weaknesses as compared with, say, a Parrot kit?

Thanks

Alan

I personally think the HFT is good and worth having IMO

I use the HFT. Only problems I have with it are:
1) The clumsy set up - like you have to know what words to say to pair a phone and to set up numbers in the memory - but once it's done it's done.
2) When I factory reset my phone it wouldn't connect, I couldn't figure out how to send the numbers again so had to delete my phone from the car and re-pair it (learnt I had about 4 other phones on it from a previous owner though, so deleted them too).
3) It seems to get confused if I try to ring a number on my phone whilst it's paired, I can't here it ringing through either phone or HFT, and once connected it comes through the phone not the HFT (even though phone says 'bluetooth headset'), probably me and my phone setup so I've just programmed my main numbers into the car phonebook memory.

I see these as very minor issues, never used any other car phone kit though so nothing to compare to, all in all I'd recommend it.

Ford and vauxhall (cant believe i"m saying this) arevfar better IMHO

As Brett said I think the HFT is very good as well. I find it clear and simple to use.

The set up can be a little time consuming but if you print off the instructions from the Honda website and follow them it's pretty straight forward. I've not had any of the issues Huskyman has mentioned in point 3, mine works as you would expect it too just like a Parrot kit.

My only criticism of the system is the phone book not showing names on the display.

Honda hands free instructions.

Not impressed myself. People say they can`t hear me so I have to shout.

It doesn`t always hear who I want to call and just reads back a random set of numbers to me .

On the 7th gen no intergration with the touch screen, its all done by voice so if you have two similar sounding names it doesn`t always know who you want to call.

I can`t always remember if I`ve put into the system some of my less frequently called contacts so I just have to try it and see. That, combined with the above can get very frustrating so more often than not I end up shouting and screaming at the "nice" lady talking back to me.

I`ve seen far superior systems in Fords and Nissans. If they are charging a fortune to unlock it I wouldn`t bother

Dave have you tried adjusting your speaker setting to make it more sensitive so you don't need to shout?

Thanks for your views, folks. Sounds like the HFT is not for me. Reasons - lack of visual display and voice commands only. As I've got about 150 people in my phone book, several with similar sounding names and about 40 with non-English names I can see myself getting in a muddle very quickly.

Alan

Ooh, also sometimes if I press the button and say "Call Zoe", it sometimes waits for 5 seconds then says "star, zero, four.... say cancel, or continue to add numbers", which is really frustrating.

Trev, the same thing happens to me all the time.

Alan not sure if you know but the system will only hold 50 names so about 100 of your contacts are left out.

Dave, no I didn't know that. Makes the decision even easier. 50 names - what use is that?

Alan

I only have 2 in mine!! Mostly use it so that people can phone me whilst I'm driving, very rarely use it to phone anyone else.

Regarding any HFT problems where it cannot understand your commands, or speaks back in German or when you say the numbers it repeats "Star, Hash....!!!"

It is a problem with the microphone - I replaced it with a nokia microphone from one of their handsfree kits.... see post...

Replace HFT mic with Nokia mic.

II am now easily understood and can actually use the HFT without getting frustrated. Maybe worth a go.

I would be so tempted but my soldering skills are not that good and I just happen to have a couple of spare Nokia microphones lying around

Bleedin 'eck that microphone's £130 from Honda!! I don't have a Nokia microphone lying around.

My soldering skills are pants - but it was only two wires... beats paying £130 - you can get Nokia handsfree mics (without the handsfree kit) off eBay. I would say that it's worth a go - I got to the point that the HFT was all but useless so I thought what the hell if I break it well it wasn't working anyway!!