What's new

HID kits The definitive guide

crespo

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Accord EX 2.0 i-vtec
First of all the MOT law.

It has always been a failure to install a HID kit on a car that does not have headlight washers, self levelling headlights and projector lense headlights.

To be honest i am yet to hear of anyone actually failing an MOT with a HID kit installed but that is not to say it does or has not happened. If it concerns you you can always revert back to halogen for the MOT. I have also never heard of anyone getting stopped by the police over a HID kit.

Headlight with a projector lense.
headlight_projectors.jpg
projector_headlight_explain.jpg

You accord will need H1 Bulbs for a conversion and then you have the fun part.

Choosing what colour temp and wattage of the ballast.

The colour temp for the bulbs range from 3000k (yellow) all the way to 12000 (purple)
Now what colour you go for is completely up to you but bare in mind that 4300k is the output that will give you the most usable light. Most manufacturers fit this colour temp as standard.

kelvin_chart.jpg

hid_photos_compare.jpg

Now you have chosen your colour you are left with the choice of either a 35watt kit or a 55watt kit. A common miss conception is that just because the 55watt kit is brighter it will dazzle on coming drivers. This is simply not the case, If your beam is adjusted correctly the cut off on the projector lense will do its job and stop the light rising high enough to blind on coming cars.
I can testify to this as i have had a 55watt kit on my car for over 12 months and i have never once been flashed in that time.

This picture shows the difference. 35watt kit is top and 55watt kit is bottom.
35W-55W.jpg

Now you are nearly there, your final choice is the ballast. Slim medium or large.
There are no real benefits for the large ballast and they will all do what thy are supposed to but the slim/medium ballast will be easier to stow away due to it being approximately half the width of a standard ballast. although the slim/medium ballasts are sometimes a little more than the larger ballasts.

Here is a comparison of all 3 ballasts next to each other.
hidextra-com-25019-albums-pic-864-picture-comparing-standard-ballast-mid-slim-ballast-slim-ballast-size-3449.jpg

That pretty much sums up everything you need to know.

Now enjoy your HID kit and ask yourself why it took you so long to get one installed.

Finally some known issues.

Flickering, Either a badly installed bulb or a faulty ballast.
Light turning bluer over time. This is perfectly normal and all xenon bulbs will go bluer as they age.
Bad radio reception. Some of the cheap Chinese kits will cause interference with your radio signal due to bad insulation. The only solution is to ditch the ballasts and buy better quality ballasts. This is fairly rare but does happen.

If you install your kit and find one side not working remember to test the ballast on the working side to rule out a faulty bulb or ballast.

Finally some videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKiI5c3Jp74

Good write up, just post the link to this on all the threads that pop up each week! :D

Might be worth clarifying the colour temperature thing, it's the temperature of the light, so as you go through the visible spectrum from red to violet. Most people get confused thinking bigger number means more light.

As you said, 4300 (I think OEM is actually 4100?) is the most usable light, the higher temperature you go the closer to ultraviolet you get, the less visible to the human eye the light becomes - in essence it gets darker!

Also, for fog lights it's better to go colder. 3000K is ideal for fog lights as it cuts through the fog. Higher temperature fog lights will just glare and dazzle you. You just have to put up with 'uncool' yellow light.

Thanks for the input Trev.

Obviously any tips or extra info is more than welcome. Hopefully this thread will reduce see a reduction in the 4.2 gazillion HID related threads we get a week.

If we can keep all the HID chat in one place it will be easier for everyone to access the information when needed.

cheeky monkey stole my idea lol!

nice write up though. i will send some pi s to you when i install my 55w kit, so as an install guide for anyone who wants to fit them in the future :)

cheeky monkey stole my idea lol!

nice write up though. i will send some pi s to you when i install my 55w kit, so as an install guide for anyone who wants to fit them in the future :)

indeed i did. :lol:
And a good idea it was as well.

yeah take some pictures of your install and just post them on the thread. That would be well handy.

I think CJ's DIY went with him so the forum needs another DIY.

you cheeky b ugger! lol

Yes since CJ went his guid went too.
Im hoping to do the install next weekend weather permiting

Interesting, I've just found this, which shows different colour temps to the edited picture:

ro1bl.jpg

and also this which is nice:

tgO4S.jpg

Excellent guide Neil... I have been running 35 watt bulbs for nearly 3 years now, (in both accords) you think upgrading to 55w makes a difference?

so what hids shall I get and is it H7 bulbs I need..... Nah only messin.

So who's gonna do the Fuel filter one.

Excellent guide Neil... I have been running 35 watt bulbs for nearly 3 years now, (in both accords) you think upgrading to 55w makes a difference?

Definitely mate. a hell of a difference.

'HuskyMan
Interesting, I've just found this, which shows different colour temps to the edited picture:
ro1bl.jpg

You can't readily get some of the temps listed on that picture.

The common temps that you can actually get are.

I chose that picture because it represented the most common bulbs available. I was trying to keep things simple. :D

I would love some 3000k... saw a modified mercedes with these in and it looked amazing.

Great write up Neal have a rep point bud on me :D

Great write up Neil and thanks for taking the time to do it.

+1
I was all ready to order from in-car-stuff.com until their compatibility check said my car is a CANBUS! Its a 2006 Sport Tourer, pretty sure its not CANBUS - who is right? Lost confidence in them anyhow , that why oroginally I was asking for specific references of kit that is working out their in Accords... can anyone recommend a site and part no etc that will plug and play

Ta

Paul

Great guide!

Now all we need is a guide to installing a HID kit to a 7th gen facelifted Accord. :)

i kinda got 6000k's in the fogs and head lights lol does make a hell of a difference though

greatings men,any luck on this guide on installing hids on facelift 7gen...i've trawled the net to no avail!...never even got to see an install up close to work it out for myself!

greatings men,any luck on this guide on installing hids on facelift 7gen...i've trawled the net to no avail!...never even got to see an install up close to work it out for myself!

Isn't it this one:
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/8089-hid-kits-installation-guide/

Isn't it this one:
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/8089-hid-kits-installation-guide/
My bad Husky Man....i obviously have'nt got the hang of the SEARCH tool...i actually search for ages,a couple of evenings.To be honest im fairly new to this forum crack

Ignore the grey "Search..." box and use the Google Custom Search above it, it gives results from the forum but is much more user friendly. I only use the forum search for advanced search like by username etc.