What's new

HID Query

iar1980

Members
Reaction score
Car
56 Accord i-CTDi Ex
Hi Folks

Question to all those who have installed HIDS on their 7th Gen....

Can you tell me where you guys have installed both Ballast?, and what you have used to secure it i.e. Screws, Double sided Tape, Cable Ties etc.

If anyone has any pics, it would be of great help too....

Also do you have to cut a hole in the cap cover.....

Does the 7th gen have the leveller system that HID xenons system require?
If HIDs are fitted to the 7th gens is it illegal?

I have seen 7th gens with stock oem xenons is the Honda system available to buy?

accord_n22 said:
Does the 7th gen have the leveller system that HID xenons system require?
If HIDs are fitted to the 7th gens is it illegal?

I have seen 7th gens with stock oem xenons is the Honda system available to buy?
If HIDs were factory fitted then there is a leveller system fitted, but otherwise no leveller system in the car. However, there are also recurrent threads on TA about the leveller sensors (on factory fitted HIDs) causing problems, and several people (including myself) eventually unplug the cables from the motors in the lights (otherwise the lights tend to end up permanently pointing down, or up)

Not sure if the word "illegal" is semantically correct, I can't see anyone getting points for installing HIDs without a leveller system. But if spotted it would be an MOT fail, depending on how amenable/thorough one's MOT chap is. I've never had an MOT fail with the plugs for the motors hanging down.

Thanks for the replies guys.... :)

Levellers and headlight washers aren't needed for an MOT pass with HID's, many cars come from the factory with HID's but neither auto levellers nor headlight washers.

The MOT guide isn't clearly worded and unfortunately not all MOT testers are as literate as we'd like. The gist of the MOT specs are 'where HID headlights are fitted auto levelling systems and headlight washers MAY be fitted. Headlight levelling systems and headlight washers must be working.' That's not the precise wording but the 'may' is there and it's the operative word. If the levelling/washing system is fitted and HID's are present it must work. If the levelling/washing system isn't fitted but there are HID's fitted then it's irrelevant.

Long story short, if you have HID's fitted and there is no evidence of an autolevelling system or headlight washers having ever been present then the MOT tester can't fail you. Same as with ABS or power steering systems etc.

:)

Josh2109 said:
Levellers and headlight washers aren't needed for an MOT pass with HID's, many cars come from the factory with HID's but neither auto levellers nor headlight washers.

The MOT guide isn't clearly worded and unfortunately not all MOT testers are as literate as we'd like. The gist of the MOT specs are 'where HID headlights are fitted auto levelling systems and headlight washers MAY be fitted. Headlight levelling systems and headlight washers must be working.' That's not the precise wording but the 'may' is there and it's the operative word. If the levelling/washing system is fitted and HID's are present it must work. If the levelling/washing system isn't fitted but there are HID's fitted then it's irrelevant.

Long story short, if you have HID's fitted and there is no evidence of an autolevelling system or headlight washers having ever been present then the MOT tester can't fail you. Same as with ABS or power steering systems etc.

:)
Other people have previously not said this, I think you are correct, makes more sense to me :)

edit: on a slight side-track, I presume then that if a factory-fitted auto-levelling system is fitted and one wants to stop it from working, the best thing to do is either put some masking tape over the contacts in the plugs to the motors, or unplug the motors from the controller (if one knows where it is and it's not visible on an MOT)