What's new

HID Replacment

Nightwalker

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hello all,

One of my HID headlights seems to be not working from time to time, I guess its on the way out? :(

Anyway I was wondering if anyone can recommend somewhere to get new HID bulbs. I have bought some through here before but I'm unsure if anythings changed since then :)

H1 for my accord 04, 8000-10000k preferred :)

Also wondering how long ballasts last? the set I have in my car now have been in there for about 5yrs I reckon.

Would anyone recommend dealers? dunno whether they store HID's for my 04 anymore but I know you can get HID's for them. When I bought the car originally you couldn't.

Thanks.

H1 it is indeed

Yes,it's H1.I bought my kit from car mod shop.They give me warranty and great service

Soooo any advice on where to get new HID's??

Also any idea on one of my HID's? for some reason when I switch them on one tends not to come on at first. I try again by switching off and on again and after a few go's with a pause inbetween it comes back on, when it is on it does tend to stay on.

Is it dying? loose connection? ballast? I will check the connections when I get time but I would of thought it would flicker a lot if something was not fitted right or a little loose.

OK cool :)

Which site do you use? which HID set? or do you just get bulbs?

The JDM set look good from the second link, $40 which is just under £30 for whole set. What do you or anyone else here think to the other sets? they are expensive but do you get what you pay for?
http://www.hidxenonlights.com/h1-hid-bulbs-c-644

I dunno why they sell separate bulbs for $49 when you can get the whole JDM set for $40 lol!
Maybe JDM are not so good, hmmm I need some advice people :)

Why are they so expensive? just because the ballasts are very slim?

Can anyone tell me how long ballasts last cos maybe its my ballasts that need replacing.

I get mine on ebay.. pretty much get the cheapest ones going. My £30 ebay ones have lasted over 3 years before i upgraded to 55w ones :).

Why are you going for 8000k or 10000K Bulbs? They will be very blue / purple and the visible light given out for your eyes is very poor.
You want to look at 4300k for OEM colour, 5000k for a nice slight blue hue. Or 6000k for an even more blue hue.

Ballasts and bulbs are like anything else, some could last a few month, others last years. My advice is to buy a complete kit, this means that if a bulb or ballast goes in the future then you have spares :)

I already have a spare set of ballast hehe but the slim kind would probably be better, that JDM set look perfect really.

How do you know when the ballast go? I'm guessing when you change the bulb and it still doesn't work.

Is 55w much difference? I think mine are 35w right now, can't see how they could be anymore powerful though.

Also...these HID's on the second link come from the US it seems, would I have any issues fitting them? they use all the same connections right? I don't see the little metal spade connections in the some of the pics, I presume they are there.

Phil I had one of the 50w 6000k kits from HIDdirect on my mazda and I was very happy with th quality. It was around £60 and having looked around there are cheaper options and I also have been looking at the JDM ones from the U.S, however, I am after a 4300k setup as I think the pure white will look fantastic on my nighthawk black type-s and as you can see even the 6000k has quite a blue tint which I have gone off a bit.

6000k HidsDirect Slim Kit

Nice.

I'm thinking the JDM as they are cheaper haha I once paid a lot for HID's and they only lasted about 2years, rip off. They will probably take longer to get here though.

So what's the difference between 50w and 35w?

Any ideas why one HID is sometimes not coming on straight away?

And will those US ones fit our UK cars OK? nothing else required? I once had HID's where the little metal spade connectors were too small to fit into my cars little spade connectors (if you get me). Had to cut them off and stick some bigger ones on, they were H1 HID's so very odd.

One of my HIDs on my last car didn't always fire up 1st time, but if you then powered them off/on all was fine. It could have been a number of things, faulty bulb, ballast or a power/charge issue. Someone maybe albe to offer better advice on it. 50w are more intense light than 35w and those JDM ones should fit without issue, however, from previous experience it is always possible that HID kits may need some minor mods either to the bulb holders in the headlight or as you say the connectors

^ Yes, on a previous set I got through someone on here (a contact called 'lele' of visionari I think it was), the small metal spade connectors or whatever you call them, you know what I mean? there are 2 on the HID set and 2 from the car, they slide into each other.

Well the two metal spade connectors on the HID set were too small for the car spade connectors and kept sliding out, not big enough. I had to crimp on slightly bigger ones. I dunno why that was as they were H1.

As for the 50/35w is there any way to tell what my current ones are? the stickers on the ballast have long fallen off hehe. The HID's are pretty bright though, can't see how they could be any more intense without blinding oncoming traffic!

Do all these sets come with a metal holder for the ballast? it doesn't show for the JDM's.

One of my HIDs on my last car didn't always fire up 1st time, but if you then powered them off/on all was fine. It could have been a number of things, faulty bulb, ballast or a power/charge issue. Someone maybe albe to offer better advice on it. 50w are more intense light than 35w and those JDM ones should fit without issue, however, from previous experience it is always possible that HID kits may need some minor mods either to the bulb holders in the headlight or as you say the connectors

I have this problem right now with my kit, 55W 5000k AC slim ballast. The left is almost never on when starting the car, the right is working 98% of the time. Have to switch to parking lights and back to OFF again for both to work (auto low beam on in Sweden).
I think this is a problem with the ballasts not getting enough juice from the battery, but I could be wrong. What do you think?

Sorry for the OffT.

I have this problem right now with my kit, 55W 5000k AC slim ballast. The left is almost never on when starting the car, the right is working 98% of the time. Have to switch to parking lights and back to OFF again for both to work (auto low beam on in Sweden).
I think this is a problem with the ballasts not getting enough juice from the battery, but I could be wrong. What do you think?

Sorry for the OffT.
I had this problem, faulty kit. I got a replacement and all has been fine ever since.

Mine was perfect for about 1 and a half years and now the driver side HID sometimes decides not to come on, but its been fine the last few days, weird.

Ebay will be your best friend with this sort of thing ;) ;) ;)