What's new

HID's

Nightwalker

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hello again folks,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend somewhere to get a set of HID's.

http://www.hidxenonlights.com/h1-hid-bulbs-c-644/jdm-hid-conversion-kit-3000k-12000k-p-798

I did get this link from someone on here a while ago, can't recall who, but was wondering if these would be OK. Its a US site and they mention Euro cars possibly needing adaptors, anyone know if a UK Accord would need anything like that or are we OK?

Looking at the pics I don't see the tiny little metal spade connections so I'm wondering if they are compatible with a UK Accord, what do you guys think?

I got mineoff ebay mate. ***uming you have a 7th gen accord its a H1 kit you need. Try and get slim ballast design. The next choice is bulb type. Ive had both 600k which is blue ***nt and currently have 4300k which is very close to factory white xenon colour you get. Choice is yours.
My kit cost about £30 delivered and has been fine for a year, touch wood lol.

As they're a US seller, I'm not sure how you can be certain they'll fit. But they are digital, which is good.

Are you aware of the legal issues in fitting HIDs to vehicles originally fitted with halogen lamps? I'm not going to pretend I know the answers, but I believe there is a requirement for washers and self-levelling mechanisms (although many here will suggest otherwise, as they manage to slip through their MoTs). A recent thread indicated (with links to government websites) that retro-fitting HIDs was deemed illegal by the DfT, but VOSA (who dictate MoT rules) have not defined this as a problem.

A recent thread indicated (with links to government websites) that retro-fitting HIDs was deemed illegal by the DfT, but VOSA (who dictate MoT rules) have not defined this as a problem.

That's the gist of it yes.

The regs don't mention HIDs, they just say that "With a light source producing the principal dipped beam and having an objective luminous flux which exceeds 2,000 lumen" must have cleaning devices and cannot use the provision in the regs that allows manual adjustment devices for height.

http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/r48r6e.pdf
pg37-39, 6.2.6.2.2 is the part which allows manual adjustment (as opposed to automatic self leveling), 6.2.9 talks of washing devices and negates 6.2.6.2.2.

So Police would have to prove that it exceeds 2000 lumens. Same reason it hasn't been added to the MOT, it just says benefit of the doubt must be given cos they know MOT stations won't be able to get equipment to test lumen output accurately or to check auto-height adjust.

MOT is NOT the same as the law. Retrofitted HIDs will pass an MOT but they are technically illegal to the strictest letter of the law - however I think the absolute worst thing that would ever come out of any kind of legal dispute would be "please remove them".

stick them on, pull the HID bulb out put the cap on them, which comes with them, lay them safely nearby, wack some standard candle bulbs in for MOT, 2mins task, done it for years, no problems, i take it to Honda. One year i forgot, and Honda rang up and said you forgot to take out the HIDs, shall we put in the standard bulbs in for you. :lol: Its all a game.

It won't fail an MOT with HIDs though, if it does your MOT tester isn't following the VOSA Inspection Manual correctly.

It won't fail an MOT with HIDs though, if it does your MOT tester isn't following the VOSA Inspection Manual correctly.

What i get is "improper beam pattern" with them in, so your right its not the HIDs them selves, but the effect on the light output as a result. There is a beam pattern that is visible with low output bulbs, but with HIDs its so bright you can distinguish it.

Errr guys, any recommendations for buying some HID's?? :)

That link I got (someone on here) looks good but its the West coast of the US so may take ages to get here plus I'm not sure about them fitting, like I said I can't see the little metal spade connections in the pic.

Anyone recommend a site in the UK? or closer?

Also, along time ago some one on here gave me the details of a person called Lele of Visionari LLC? anyone on this site got a discount from them with HID's. Does anyone recall this??

I don't know, Phil, sorry. Got mine from another member on here. Most people I think just search eBay for "H1 4300K HID slim balast kit" or something similar. I wouldn't know which one to buy though regarding quality etc.

http://www.vvme.com/search-result?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_options=1&in_cat=140&option_7=-1&option_1=1&option_30=-1&option_31=-1

This is the company :) found it, someone on here put me in touch with these folks ages ago, there was a deal with this forum and this company I believe, or someone in the company (Lele).

What do you guys think?

And what does it mean by 'digital' ballast?

http://www.vvme.com/search-result?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_options=1&in_cat=140&option_7=-1&option_1=1&option_30=-1&option_31=-1

This is the company :) found it, someone on here put me in touch with these folks ages ago, there was a deal with this forum and this company I believe, or someone in the company (Lele).

What do you guys think?

It means that digital technology is used to control the high voltage and current to the lamp, ensuring optimum conditions for striking (starting) and running. Originally the lamps were fed from a high voltage DC source and used a restive ballast to keep down the running current, but this then gets warm and ages rapidly leading to failure... these were called DC HIDs. Later AC types cut down on the need for a large resistive ballast, but caused flicker. Digital has replaced these previous technologies and uses intelligent pulsing to strike and maintain the running conditions, the pulses are of a higher frequency so are not seen to flicker. I think I saw more info on Wikipedia when I was interested, but I eventually decided against HIDs.

What do you guys think?

that was me who ran that deal :).
unfortunately though I was not overly impressed with the deal that they where able to offer us as a forum so after that initial group buy they no longer retained my business.

I know this sounds odd but search eBay for the cheapest slimline ballast HID in the UK and buy them.. look to pay about £35 -£40 tops.

most of the kits are all the same :)

Just bought the slim digital kit from vvme.com for £39 :) can't say fairer than that methinks...for the whole kit plus pnp. I don't think I got a discount either! $60 total.

http://www.vvme.com/search-result?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_options=1&in_cat=140&zenid=bdmc37vm4ndmo0duof3pvkfvarl9f6e6&option_7=-1&option_1=1&option_30=-1&option_31=-1
The black boxed kit

Anyone know what I mean with the crimper tool? is that the right name?

I bought many items from them HIDs, LEDs, MTEC bulbs never had any problem and good quality, they're selling on ebay too
http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/

Or, if you're a pot head, steal them from a Porsche... http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/shortcuts/2012/dec/09/porsche-owners-beware-cannabis-growers

One word of advice... buy a slim kit. With a slim kit you can actually mount everything inside the headlight housing and you do not need to drill the cover or anything like that. I just put some double sided tape on the ballast and pressed it to the bottom of the housing, connected everything and put the cover back on :)

I bought a 55W slim kit from some random eBay seller a year ago, they lasted about 6 months after I installed them. One side worked flawlessly and the other side didn't always ignite the first time around.

I got in contact with "Tony" at VVME.com a month ago, he offered me a normal 35W kit för $50 incl. FedEx Express shipping to Sweden. Got them after a week from their warehouse in China. Tried to mount them the same way as the slim kit, inside the headlight housing... I had measured it before ordering and it "should have" fit... but didn't... the ballast was just to big to go through the hole. So I sold them with a small profit and have now ordered the VVME 35W slim kit, $56 incl. FedEx Express shipping.

The standard kit from VVME is working wonderful in my colleagues car, will receive my slim kit today or tomorrow.

If you wonder how the ballast is built and what it contains you can take a look here: http://imgur.com/a/Gq2zz (I got curious! :D )
This ballast was still firing up but the light output was very weak and looked more like parking lights when it came to brightness... couldn't find why though, every component looked ok.