What's new

HiDs

hale-pope

Members
Reaction score
Car
10 i-dtec tourer ex
I have an 2010 ex auto tourer. Only had it a few days and will be posting a full report soon to 'payback' this site for my pre purchase info. Quick question though - it is definitely not an ex GT but the only things it seems not to have are red ambient lighting (it has blue) but more importantly it does not seem to have Xenons. Would this be right? There do not seem to be any headlamp washers, which I believe have to be standard with Xenons legally, so I ***ume I missed out :-( I did see a post on here (thank you to the other poster) for some better headlamp bulbs though as follows:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00440CWBC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

If you have washers you will deff have hid lamps

toffee_pie said:
thought only the ones with ADAS/Auto got them HIDs on 8th gen?
toffee_pie said:
thought only the ones with ADAS/Auto got them HIDs on 8th gen?
That's correct Eric they also come with washers.
Think I missed read the 1st post lol

AFAIK the EX GT comes with the red ambient lighting, others don't. I've changed my centre console one to blue anyway as the red (more like amber, when you can find it) doesn't do it for me.

The EX GT also comes with the Xenons (with headlight washers to comply with law), I don't have ADAS on mine but I do have the Xenons, these are standard with EX GT I believe.

brett said:
If you have washers you will deff have hid lamps
If you don't have washers then you don't have Xenons. But having washers doesn't mean you do have them. Mine has washers but no factory Xenons.

Trev on the 8th gen it's different.it's what I said washers means hids no washers no hids

this HID/washer/Auto Levelling thing is confusing as hell, when was it a requirement in EU law to have headlight washers.? and self levelling ..?

From the MOT website (http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_170.htm)

"Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.

Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.

Headlamp washers may work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch.
HID lamps may be identified by:

. taking a few seconds to reach full intensity

. having a bluish tinge to the light

. having an igniter module/inverter behind the headlamp

. having ‘DCR’ marked on the headlamp lens.
HID headlamps use high voltage and extra care should be taken when inspecting these items."

some older cars got HIDs and no self levelling, i ***ume they would be ok for a MOT?

Steve, your levelling doesn't work, how do you adjust your beam? sorry for my ignorance here.. :p

I was under my car last time i had the tranny fluid changed, i had a good gawk and saw them elusive levelling sensors indeed, they are white rectangular things i believe, attached to suspension in the front and back. I made sure to ask the garage that fitted my coils if they put on the levelling sensor in the front and they did.

I don't! :lol:

But with the new unit fitted, they can't confirm it doesn't work. According the diagnostic machine, there is no fault. However they can't get them to move apart from the calibration sequence they initialise with the diagnostic tool.

The wink and say it must be my stiff, after market springs and give me the benefit of the doubt as per the MOT guide book :p .