What's new

High pitched noise + battery light on start

doodalon

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2003
My Accord 2003 Salon Auto 2.0 petrol has just developed this issue today when I started it up. I instantly noticed the high pitched noise when I started it up and then saw that the battery light was on, drove it Weds night and no issue, but today, Friday it started. The high pitch noise would stay until I hit faster speeds/lower rpm.. When I acceleration I can hear it getting slightly louder, I let go off the gas and it fades slightly. If I hit a constant speed of 30mph, the noise wouldn't occur. Has anyone had this issue before or know what it could be? I'm ***uming its not the battery that's the issue, any more info would be great.

Thanks,

I suggest that your alternator/accessory drive belt needs tightening. The squealing is the sound of it slipping and then, because it's slipping, it can't charge the battery so the battery warning light comes on.

As Jon said this would be the 1st place I would look

I've taken it into the garage now. I checked out your thread Richard, saw your image of your belt tensioner and then checked mine, and it is similar to yours, though its even further away from the rectangle than yours. I pointed this out to the mechanics and mentioned your efforts to fix the issue.

Ok so I just came back from the garage.. They say I need a new Alternator.

He popped the hood, then turned on the engine and straight away that high pitch noise came on, he then took the power out of the alternator and the sound disappeared, plugged it back and the high pitch noise came back, also mentioned that its not charging the battery as it was only 10-11V on the meter, also that it was getting pretty hot, and actually started to smell and smoke up a bit (I have no idea if these are valid tests or not, if someone could let me know)

One thing though, I mentioned before that my belt tensioner indicator is a lot like richardp2020's as in his picture..

Photo%20Feb%2027,%209%2035%2036.jpg

I questioned the mechanic about this as its obviously outside of the proper range that Honda quotes, but he insists that its an auto belt tensioner and that, that is as much as it would go, and there's nothing wrong with the belt itself. Though from what you guys are saying, it sounds like there's a belt issue, causing it not to be tight enough.

So I drive off, as he's quoted £350+ for a new alternator, £300 for the alt, and an hours labour. I found a Lucas alt for £200, he said he'll fit for price of an hour. Anyway, back to what I was saying.. I drive off and a few minutes, a see it smoking up again, I pull up and switch off the engine and open the hood to check, and its pretty hot, too hot to touch and giving off a slight smell. I give it a few minutes then turn on the engine to get home (another 2 minute drive) but this time, there's no alternator noise, and the battery light wasn't on, but eventually came on after a half a minute, but no noise the journey back, no smoke either.

I have no idea what it is nor am I able to fix it as I'm no mechanic of any sort.. Just posting my story to see if anyone has any ideas/confirmation that you think it would be the alternator etc, and what you think of the mechanics treatment of the belt tensioner indicator thing.

I've just managed to get a lucas alternator for £160 inc VAT.

If you still need this doing and are handy with spanners, I would recommend a DIY job.

Try squirting the tensioner area with WD 40, some will hit the belt as well. See if the noise goes away. I know the experts on here will say NO but it has worked for me in the past.